Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

SSD hard drive questions

Old 11-29-11, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

SSD hard drive questions

It's time for my desktop upgrade and I wondering if I should go with a SSD hard drive, are they worth the upgrade?

Also can I have a SSD hard drive for my OS but then have SATA hard drives for my data?

Finally, I'll be getting new laptops for the business I work for, should I go with SSD drives for them?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-29-11, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: SSD hard drive questions

They're definitely worth it. I have a 128 GB drive for my OS and applications as well as a few games, and then a 1 TB normal drive to put movies, music, etc on.

I think they would be a great option for both desktop and laptops, as long as the price and smaller capacity isn't an issue.
Old 11-29-11, 10:07 AM
X
Administrator

Depends on what's slowing down your computer. I put one in a netbook and hardly notice the difference. I put one in a 4.6GHz desktop and it's amazingly fast. I moved all data and documents and most temp to a SATA D: drive so the SSD doesn't get hit too much with junk.

It also depends on how much capacity you need, particularly in a laptop.

And be very careful to get ones that are reliable. There are bad brands and technologies that aren't worth dealing with. I've found Intel and Samsung to be the best, maybe Crucial after that.
Old 11-29-11, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree with what has been posted above

I added a 64GB SSD to my desktop machine last christmas, still love it. The increase in speed is amazing for booting, rebooting, running apps (they snap open). Worth every penny and the reload time for the OS (figured it was better to start fresh, Win 7 detects the SSD and sets up accordingly on a fresh install)

I installed the OS and apps only on the SSD (the boot drive) then have a WD Black as my data drive. I set an NTFS mount point from C:\user to D:\users so no profile info is ever written to the SSD (an effor to extend its life, fewer writes)

I did leave the pagefile on the SSD, not sure yet if this was a good or bad idea. There is much debate on the subject.
Old 11-29-11, 10:29 AM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post
I did leave the pagefile on the SSD, not sure yet if this was a good or bad idea. There is much debate on the subject.
My debate would be, given the price of memory, why would you need a pagefile?
Old 11-29-11, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ton of good information! Thanks!

Didn't think of moving the Users folder, that is a good idea.

All of my machines will be at least a i7 chip, so they should fly, but I think I might wait until early spring to see if the prices of the HD's come down. I talked to my Dell rep and he said this is the worst he has ever seen with getting hard drives.
Old 11-29-11, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

+1 on the SSD, I put them in almost every new machine I get for clients anymore, everyone loves them. I use 128gb crucial m4's lately.
Old 11-29-11, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by X View Post
My debate would be, given the price of memory, why would you need a pagefile?
because windows will always perform better with one (another debate I guess)
Old 11-29-11, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

One which I swear we've had before.
Old 11-29-11, 03:49 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

I just did a Google search for "pagefile debate"
The first link was to a discussion on the neowin.net forums.
It was locked within 15 minutes.

Moral of the story: The first rule of pagefile is you do NOT talk about pagefile.
Old 11-29-11, 05:24 PM
X
Administrator

I found enough evidence to believe that isn't the case. In summary, Windows will try to use a pagefile whether it needs it or not, so you end up always using it even when there's no need.
Old 11-29-11, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Depends on what's slowing down your computer. I put one in a netbook and hardly notice the difference. I put one in a 4.6GHz desktop and it's amazingly fast.
That could be due to the SATA interface in each machine. I'm just guessing here, but a netbook probably doesn't have a 6Gbs connection like a high end PC will.
Old 11-29-11, 05:40 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
That could be due to the SATA interface in each machine. I'm just guessing here, but a netbook probably doesn't have a 6Gbs connection like a high end PC will.
A 3Gbps connection should be plenty fast to show the speed of a SSD though. Unless it's not the bottleneck. People seem to be happy with SSD on those slower SATA connections when they have faster systems.
Old 11-29-11, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It depends on what you're doing; access time would still be reduced significantly on an SSD despite an older SATA version so things like launching programs should still be plenty fast. The only difference I would imagine is max and sustained read and write speeds, which would be lower, but that happens less in everyday use unless you're constantly moving large files around.
Old 11-29-11, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

All right, this seems like a great place to ask:

Will SSD drives work on XP 32-bit and/or 64-bit without loss in speed?
What types of sustained data rates are we talking about? For example, if I copy 20 Gb of data sequentially from the SSD to itself (ie, the same SSD), will I still see an improvement in file copy time using SSD alone vs. two WD caviar black drives, for this task? Yes, I know ramdomt I access time is extremely fast, but how about sustained large-file transfers, like muxing/demuxing, or extraxcting and creating large compression archives.

Re: Pagefile. Disable, or if you must, create a large RAMDISK, and set it to there. This is best for systems with >= 8GB RAM.
Old 11-29-11, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I found enough evidence to believe that isn't the case. In summary, Windows will try to use a pagefile whether it needs it or not, so you end up always using it even when there's no need.
I am ok with that If the software was written to always use one, who am I to argue with it since it is on an SSD anyway, I have no loss, and a potential gain (no matter how slight) so who cares?

SomethingMore is correct, do NOT speak of the pagefile or the devil will kill a kitten, something like that anyway.
Old 11-29-11, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
All right, this seems like a great place to ask:

Will SSD drives work on XP 32-bit and/or 64-bit without loss in speed?
Don't do it (don't worry if it works or not, just don't do it)

If you can afford an SSD, you can afford windows 7

just saying
Old 11-29-11, 09:49 PM
X
Administrator

I am ok with that If the software was written to always use one, who am I to argue with it since it is on an SSD anyway, I have no loss, and a potential gain (no matter how slight) so who cares?
Although SSD is much slower than RAM. And I would be concerned about the constant writing to the pagefile on a SSD.

I think I had one old program, probably Photoshop, that complained that I didn't have enough memory if I didn't have a pagefile. But that's the only problem I've run into over years of not having one, starting with Win2K. The major downside of using a pagefile (from what I've read, but not experienced since I haven't used one in a long time) the pagefile will be used to cache open programs that haven't been used for a while. So switching back to them takes some time.
Old 11-30-11, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Every PCs I have has an SSD for OS. I don't redirect any folders though. Isn''t the whole point of buying a SSD is for performance so why redirect to a slower drive? Also, several sites had try to kill a SSD with writes and they were able to go beyond the write limit. For average use, it will take years to get to that point. By time you do, if you do, managed to kill the SSD, there will be a much faster and larger capacity one in the market.
Old 11-30-11, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by zuffy View Post
Every PCs I have has an SSD for OS. I don't redirect any folders though. Isn''t the whole point of buying a SSD is for performance so why redirect to a slower drive?
Because of space constraints. If you put movies and music in the default My Music and My Videos folders for instance, those are all in your User folder and don't really benefit from faster access times, especially when people have hundreds of gigs of music, music, and pictures.

I only moved my pictures folder to another drive; Windows 7 makes it pretty easy to do. I'd rather not move the entire User folder since as far as I can tell, some apps put stuff in AppData that I imagine would benefit from faster access times. I could be wrong though, maybe someone knows better about that.
Old 11-30-11, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I only redirect the pictures & music libraries in win7, that seems to be the vast majority of space hogging files.
Old 11-30-11, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Because of space constraints. If you put movies and music in the default My Music and My Videos folders for instance, those are all in your User folder and don't really benefit from faster access times, especially when people have hundreds of gigs of music, music, and pictures.

I only moved my pictures folder to another drive; Windows 7 makes it pretty easy to do. I'd rather not move the entire User folder since as far as I can tell, some apps put stuff in AppData that I imagine would benefit from faster access times. I could be wrong though, maybe someone knows better about that.
I don't keep my media files in SSD, they are in spindle drives. I worded it wrong. What I meant was folks are redirecting the temp folder, pagefile, internet caching folder to spindle drive. These are the files benefit from being on a SSD.
Old 11-30-11, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Ah gotcha, when you brought it up I thought you were referring to people here redirecting their User folders.
Old 12-03-11, 10:04 PM
X
Administrator

I'm trying to decide between a 256GB Samsung 830 and a 240GB Kingston HyperX. The HyperX is Sandforce so it's a risk, but this brand may have worked out the kinks.
Old 12-05-11, 07:34 PM
X
Administrator

Went for the 240GB Kingston HyperX. I'll keep good backups.

There's a 500GB Samsung 830 for $700 that's pretty tempting!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.