Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Ipad Won't Connect to Publi Wifi

Old 11-28-11, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ipad 2 Won't Connect to Public Wifi

I tried searching here, and on other sites, and I really haven't found a solution, so I am hoping there is something simple I am missing. I see other that have the problem, but no real solution.

My wife has an ipad 2, 16 GB. I have the damnedest time trying to get it to connect to public (or home) wifi.

Sometimes I can get it to connect be going in and resetting the communication settings (or whatever it is called under settings > general ).

Yesterday at the airport, there was again free wifi. My phone was able to connect easily (Droid). The ipad looked like it was connecting, but Safari would always indicate there was no internet connection.

I tried resetting, and all of the online things I could find. Turned off auto brightness, turned brightness all the way up, turned off Safari auto-fill, etc. and still nothing.

I got home (after giving up trying at the airport for hours) and it did the same thing with my home network. I had to reset my wifi router in order to connect (although my notebook connected just fine).

Obviously resetting the router in a public place isn't an option. Plus my wife doesn't/won't deal with all the hassle of trying to get the thing to connect. How am I supposed to jump on board this "cloud" thing when the only time I can connect is at home?

Last edited by jonw9; 11-28-11 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-28-11, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Ipad Won't Connect to Publi Wifi

I have no problems with my iPad anywhere. Is your IOS updated?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...eless-network/
Old 11-28-11, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My iPhone 4 is sometimes inconsistent in that it will show connected to wifi but nothing works. Usually that is a signal I need to accept the user agreement for that connection. So opening Safari usually brings up that agreement to accept then all is good. Occasionally I have to reload the page a couple times depending the exact connection before the agreement will come up. And even more rarely have to get out of Safari, make sure it is not running in background, than reopen it and the agreement will come up. I don't know if this reset for the IP address or not, but if I have any trouble connecting it always works for me.

Its a real pain the hotel I've been staying in for the past 8 months. The hotel wifi is on a 24cycle and you have to accept the user agreement every day. So each day my phone shows connected, but but nothing will work till I go accept the user agreement in Safari.

It is a minor issue, but I wish my phone would know I haven't accepted the agreement and just stay with 3G. Since the user agreement is technically connected, I don't know how this would work. Or if there was a way to manually accept going to wifi. I know, I know, the "in" thing is to go from one connection to another seemlessly. However, I rarely experience this in real life. So many placed I go to/try to connect to require you to accept the user agreement before moving on.

I'd bet that is the issue with your iPad. I experience that regularly with my phone. In my experience I'd say the vast majority (most?) require you to accept a user agreement before moving on. I've done this at airports, hotels, Starbuck, Barnes and Noble, the Mall, etc, etc,

Though your home is another issue. Even being gone for several weeks at a time, as soon as I walk in the door, it connects. Since my home is password protected, I have the password in my phone for that connection and it knows for that connection. I've never had an issue with anything but instant connection at home (since having this router and phone).

Last edited by Sdallnct; 11-28-11 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-28-11, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The ipad is updated to the latest ios (5.0.1 I think).

Once it is connected to my home, it reconnects fine. It is just after connecting someplace else (or attempting) that messes it up.

As for safari, I assumed I needed to accept something, but all I ever got is the cot connected notice.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...otoey.png/sr=1

My iphone(s) arrive today. I am hoping I don't have this same issue. I have considered purchasing an Airport for my home wireless, as maybe that would resolve the issues there. However, this won't help me when I am out.
Old 11-28-11, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There's no solution.

You'll just have to live with it.

There's a thread on apple support with 350,000 posts going back almost 5 years, and no one has found a solution that lasts longer than a few hours.

Just FYI, getting an Apple wireless router will not solve the problem at all.
Old 11-28-11, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So, 5 years of history means is isn't an ipad only issue.
So basically when I get the "not connected" in safari, even though I am technically connect to the wifi, I should just give up?

Thanks for the Airport update, you saved me $100.
Old 11-28-11, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, it's a problem that extends to all Apple products.

There have been tons of solutions tried, beyond the simple stuff like resetting your wireless router or rebooting.

Updating the firmware on your router doesn't work.

Buying a new router, even Apple branded, doesn't work.

Changing wireless channels, switching from N/G/B mode to G/B mode doesn't work.

Changing the broadcast channel on your router doesn't work.

and those solutions won't work in public wifi.

Those support threads are funny, because every time someone goes "eureka!", they come back a few hours later saying the problem has come back, or it's worse, and everyone who tried it says the same thing.

The real solution is to stop using Apple products.
Old 11-28-11, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Is it all wifi or some? Old 3GS would have issues connecting to some access points, especially Cisco. 4s is ok. iPad 2 hasn't had a problem yet either.

At home I use a linksys and it works
Old 11-28-11, 11:34 PM

I don't have a problem with any network that is secured and I enter a key, or on truly "open" networks, with no authentication whatsoever. Where I have trouble is on networks like hotels or airports, when there is no key to enter, but your browser is redirected to a page to agree to terms and and tap a connect button. Only really dealt with this on my iPad, can't remember ever having any problems on my MacBook.

I solved the problem by holding my nose and paying extra for the personal hotspot feature on my iPhone. Ultimately, open wifi networks aren't a really good place to do anything other than basic web browsing.
Old 11-28-11, 11:40 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Superboy View Post
There's no solution.

You'll just have to live with it.

There's a thread on apple support with 350,000 posts going back almost 5 years, and no one has found a solution that lasts longer than a few hours.
Link?
Old 11-29-11, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

Sorry, it was 300,000 views, but it's 1,100 posts and 78 pages long. It goes back to 2008. There are older threads than that though.

No one's solutions in that thread worked, especially the guy who's been posting for the last few months about how there isn't a problem

Why do you ask?

Do you have a solution?

If so, please share it... there are thousands of people eagerly awaiting a solution.

Last edited by Superboy; 11-29-11 at 12:16 AM.
Old 11-29-11, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
Is it all wifi or some? Old 3GS would have issues connecting to some access points, especially Cisco. 4s is ok. iPad 2 hasn't had a problem yet either.

At home I use a linksys and it works
Maybe he could come over and use your wifi?
Old 11-29-11, 12:46 AM
Premium Member

Why do you ask?

Do you have a solution?

If so, please share it... there are thousands of people eagerly awaiting a solution.
I was curious to what problems what people were having. I had not heard of chronic problems before.

I'm more curious about iPad problems though. Your link is about a MacBook.
Old 11-29-11, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Cow View Post
I was curious to what problems what people were having. I had not heard of chronic problems before.

I'm more curious about iPad problems though. Your link is about a MacBook.
There are other threads about iMacs, iPhones, etc etc. The list goes on and on.

If you want a really funny read, track down threads about Titanium Powerbook G4s from about 6 years ago. Hilarious, absolutely hilarious.
Old 11-29-11, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jonw9 View Post
So basically when I get the "not connected" in safari, even though I am technically connect to the wifi, I should just give up?
No, not necessarily

I have seen this before, it sometimes happens when a public network is overwhelmed and the login page does not load. Try refreshing Safari if you are connected and see if you get the page.

Also if you are connected try doing something else, email, news etc., sometimes that forces the browser to load the logon page
Old 11-29-11, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, it's a problem that extends to all Apple products.

There have been tons of solutions tried, beyond the simple stuff like resetting your wireless router or rebooting.

Updating the firmware on your router doesn't work.

Buying a new router, even Apple branded, doesn't work.

Changing wireless channels, switching from N/G/B mode to G/B mode doesn't work.

Changing the broadcast channel on your router doesn't work.

and those solutions won't work in public wifi.

Those support threads are funny, because every time someone goes "eureka!", they come back a few hours later saying the problem has come back, or it's worse, and everyone who tried it says the same thing.

The real solution is to stop using Apple products.
But I am moving to Apple products because they are supposed to be flawlessly refined and easy to use.

There is a guy at work here that once said "They only way to get a virus on a Mac is to choose to install it yourself"!

Edited to add, our iphones arrived yesterday. My wife's phone connected to the network easily, first try. My phone required a router reboot to access.

Last edited by jonw9; 11-29-11 at 10:28 AM.
Old 11-29-11, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Apple products are hardly free of problems. It's just that the amount of users is much smaller, so there are generally less fuck ups. But they are there, and they are a pain to deal with. Also, considering that there are very few "enthusiast" Apple users who know their systems and the OS inside and out, there are less people in the community (i.e. losers) to do free tech support on forums.
Old 11-29-11, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Those are some pretty broad generalizations.
Old 11-29-11, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like how one thread on a completely different device is being used to say "you're screwed".
Old 11-29-11, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here's the thread you're looking for:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

It's just as big.
Old 11-30-11, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I remember an issue with the first iPad and one university. The issue was related to DHCP.

Basically when the iPad resumed from sleep mode it tried to get the same IP address it had before. The university had a really short timeout for the IP address, so if it didn't receive a response from the device after certain time, it would free the IP adress and assign it to someone else. So when the the iPad woke up, it would try to use an IP address already in use.

So... what kind of router are you using? (For public wifi it can be any kind of issues, although I rarely have issues)

I've used Linksys and Buffalo (with dd-wrt) without issues for years.
Old 11-30-11, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was looking at the router thread (but don't understand half the stuff he is looking for in a router).

I have an old(er) D-Link DI-524. I think they stopped supporting it in 2008, and the last firmware update was in 2006.
Old 11-30-11, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Holy sh*t! You are like 20 years behind!

If you don't like to tinker too much, just get one of the new linksys routers, whatever has the best reviews right now. If you only need wireless, anything under $100 should be fine.
Old 12-01-11, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

FWIW, my wife and I ordered iPads last week, and they arrived yesterday. Both devices connected to my WiFi network on the first try, and we were busy using them (installing apps, setting up various stuff, watching videos, reading email, facefook, surfing, and so on) for over three hours with no connection problems at all.

I have a Lunksys E2500 router set up in mixed mode.
Old 12-04-11, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Raul3 View Post
Holy sh*t! You are like 20 years behind!

If you don't like to tinker too much, just get one of the new linksys routers, whatever has the best reviews right now. If you only need wireless, anything under $100 should be fine.
So, what would something like this do for me?
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...=nosim/dvdtalk

^Maybe that is a bad example reading the reviews, as it keeps dropping wireless.
So what would a new Linksys do for me, even a 1500?

Last edited by jonw9; 12-04-11 at 09:26 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.