Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Time for a new laptop

Old 11-15-11, 09:30 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: OOOOOlathe
Posts: 1,062
Time for a new laptop

Hey, all. I'm typing this on a Dell Inspiron 1501(AMD Turion, 1Gb Ram, 120Gb drive) bought back in March of 2007. The battery is just about gone, so I currently use it plugged in, and I think it's running a bit slower than it should.

I've received an email from Dell for an Inspiron 15R with the specs below from $499, and wonder if I should jump on it.

2nd generation Intel® Core™ i5-2430M processor 2.40 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.00 GHz
4GB Shared Single Channel DDR3 Memory
500GB 5400 RPM SATA Hard Drive
Intel HD Graphics/HD Graphics 3000 with up to 1.6GB Dynamic Video Memory
8X Tray Load CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)

This is right in my price range, but thought I could spend more along the lines of $600 if necessary. My question is, what other brands/models near this pricing should I be looking at? I live in KC, and have plenty of places to buy(BB, MicroCenter, Nebraska Furniture, etc.) I have an uncle that swears by his $1000 Asus. Does anyone have experience? I need something relatively fast, and want something reliable. It will used almost exclusively as our house computer(internet, Office, movies, etc.).

Any advice would be appreciated.
ESUguy is offline  
Old 11-16-11, 01:42 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Raul3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Picture a cup in the middle of the sea
Posts: 10,685
Re: Time for a new laptop

For your needs I would go for the best in your maximum budget.

So, the main difference between what you listed above and a good (better) laptop is a discrete graphics card. That means that the memory won't be shared.

So if that's going to be your house computer, why a laptop?
Raul3 is offline  
Old 11-16-11, 07:08 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 9,129
Re: Time for a new laptop

Get a solid state drive if you can squeeze it into your budget. Huge performance boost.
edstein is offline  
Old 11-16-11, 09:41 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: OOOOOlathe
Posts: 1,062
Re: Time for a new laptop

Originally Posted by Raul3 View Post
For your needs I would go for the best in your maximum budget.

So, the main difference between what you listed above and a good (better) laptop is a discrete graphics card. That means that the memory won't be shared.

So if that's going to be your house computer, why a laptop?
I did a little looking at MicroCenter(they generally have good prices), and it looks like the laptops with graphics cards start around $7 or $800. I'll keep looking a bit.

Also, the reason we want a laptop is for portability, and the ability to use it on the sofa in front of the tv.
ESUguy is offline  
Old 11-16-11, 09:43 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,343
Re: Time for a new laptop

Unless you're playing games, that particular integrated Intel graphics should be good enough for any basic graphics tasks and watching HD video and movies.
fumanstan is offline  
Old 11-17-11, 09:12 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 12,823
Re: Time for a new laptop

I recently picked up an Inspiron 15z. Disappointed that it's the same size as my Studio 17 as I went with a 15" screen because I wanted something smaller.
Timber is offline  
Old 11-17-11, 05:42 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Hero
 
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Stick out your tongue!
Posts: 39,142
Re: Time for a new laptop

The 2nd Gen i5 is fine for basic uses. Plenty fast, so long as you don't game.
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) is offline  
Old 11-17-11, 06:23 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Posts: 13,846
Re: Time for a new laptop

Macbook

Seriously though, what you listed is pretty good for $500.
orangecrush is offline  
Old 11-17-11, 06:47 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: OOOOOlathe
Posts: 1,062
Re: Time for a new laptop

Originally Posted by D.Pham00 View Post
The 2nd Gen i5 is fine for basic uses. Plenty fast, so long as you don't game.
Won't be using it for gaming, just for around the house bullshit. I have a Wii for gaming, and even that doesn't get used much.

So, the question becomes: Is there a better deal out there for a better brand? Will I see a better deal before x-mas, or will the deals be on the super-cheap laptops?
ESUguy is offline  
Old 11-17-11, 07:30 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Hero
 
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Stick out your tongue!
Posts: 39,142
Re: Time for a new laptop

Originally Posted by ESUguy View Post
Won't be using it for gaming, just for around the house bullshit. I have a Wii for gaming, and even that doesn't get used much.

So, the question becomes: Is there a better deal out there for a better brand? Will I see a better deal before x-mas, or will the deals be on the super-cheap laptops?
Right now, that is a good price, but not smoking hot by any means. Will there be a better one soon? I don't know, but I suspect that there will be. In the price range, you are stuck with a i5, i doubt an i7 will drop that much.
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) is offline  
Old 11-18-11, 07:45 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 9,129
Re: Time for a new laptop

Actually for $600 you should just get an iPad 2. You'll love it.
edstein is offline  
Old 11-18-11, 07:54 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Hero
 
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Stick out your tongue!
Posts: 39,142
Re: Time for a new laptop

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) is offline  
Old 11-18-11, 10:02 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: OOOOOlathe
Posts: 1,062
Re: Time for a new laptop

Originally Posted by edstein View Post
Actually for $600 you should just get an iPad 2. You'll love it.
Uh, NO.

I didn't buy the Dell. I'm going to wait to see if there are any deals at Dell or anywhere else on Black Friday, and if not I'll spend my $700 at Newegg or MicroCenter.

What brand do I want? Speed/reliability/battery are my concerns.
ESUguy is offline  
Old 11-18-11, 01:23 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Raul3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Picture a cup in the middle of the sea
Posts: 10,685
Re: Time for a new laptop

Dell is fine.
Raul3 is offline  
Old 11-18-11, 04:48 PM
  #15  
X
Administrator
 
X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1987
Location: AA-
Posts: 10,683
Re: Time for a new laptop

This Acer is supposed to be $450 Dec 14 & 15. Nice big screen (1600×900) if you want one.

http://www.staples.com/product_376282
X is offline  
Old 11-18-11, 05:01 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 16,173
Re: Time for a new laptop

I would argue that $ for $ most of the major brands are about the same, UNLESS you run across a lost leader black friday deal or something else like this

http://blairtg.com/store2/hp-probook...on-ii-notebook


New: Open-Box HP ProBook AMD Dual Core 2.3GHz 14" Laptop for $373 + free shipping
Blair Technology Group offers dealnews readers the 4.5-lb. HP ProBook Turion II 2.3GHz 14" Widescreen Notebook for $373. With free shipping, it's $38 under the lowest total price we could find for a refurb (this one is new, although open-box). Features include an AMD Turion II P520 2.3GHz dual-core processor, 14" 1366x768 LED-backlit display, 2GB RAM, 250GB hard drive, DVD burner, 802.11n wireless, webcam, 6-cell battery, and Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. A 3-year HP warranty applies.


READ THE BOLD PART!! Holy CRAP! 3 year warranty on this, bought with the right credit card can turn into 4. 4 years of warranty on any laptop is worth the cost of this laptop. won't last long...
4KRG is offline  
Old 11-18-11, 09:05 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: OOOOOlathe
Posts: 1,062
Re: Time for a new laptop

Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post
I would argue that $ for $ most of the major brands are about the same, UNLESS you run across a lost leader black friday deal or something else like this

http://blairtg.com/store2/hp-probook...on-ii-notebook


New: Open-Box HP ProBook AMD Dual Core 2.3GHz 14" Laptop for $373 + free shipping
Blair Technology Group offers dealnews readers the 4.5-lb. HP ProBook Turion II 2.3GHz 14" Widescreen Notebook for $373. With free shipping, it's $38 under the lowest total price we could find for a refurb (this one is new, although open-box). Features include an AMD Turion II P520 2.3GHz dual-core processor, 14" 1366x768 LED-backlit display, 2GB RAM, 250GB hard drive, DVD burner, 802.11n wireless, webcam, 6-cell battery, and Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. A 3-year HP warranty applies.


READ THE BOLD PART!! Holy CRAP! 3 year warranty on this, bought with the right credit card can turn into 4. 4 years of warranty on any laptop is worth the cost of this laptop. won't last long...
That's not a bad idea, but I'm willing to spend $6-700, and I've never heard of that website.

I'm starting to think I should have gotten the deal at Dell since it's a i5, which I'm not really seeing near that price.

Of course, I may be putting too much stock in the i5. The i3 may be plenty. Or, what is the AMD equivalent?
ESUguy is offline  
Old 11-18-11, 11:36 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Hero
 
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Stick out your tongue!
Posts: 39,142
Re: Time for a new laptop

3 year warranty is nice for sure. if your current laptop is fine, an i3 would be more than adequate. i'm currently using a cheapo amd triple core cpu that i bought with a motherboard for $40 combined, and honestly, for movies and web and basic office uses, it works just fine, and an i3 would easily beat my current setup


Costco has Dell i5 for $500, similar to that with a little more ram and slightly larger hd.
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...ketingItemName
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) is offline  
Old 11-19-11, 03:20 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: OOOOOlathe
Posts: 1,062
Re: Time for a new laptop

Originally Posted by D.Pham00 View Post
3 year warranty is nice for sure. if your current laptop is fine, an i3 would be more than adequate. i'm currently using a cheapo amd triple core cpu that i bought with a motherboard for $40 combined, and honestly, for movies and web and basic office uses, it works just fine, and an i3 would easily beat my current setup


Costco has Dell i5 for $500, similar to that with a little more ram and slightly larger hd.
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...ketingItemName
Shit, I had forgotten Costco. I'm going there Sunday to see if I can pick it up.
ESUguy is offline  
Old 11-19-11, 05:27 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,343
Re: Time for a new laptop

This seems like a pretty good deal.

http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/276201
fumanstan is offline  
Old 11-19-11, 06:24 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Hero
 
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Stick out your tongue!
Posts: 39,142
Re: Time for a new laptop

http://m.slickdeals.net/forums/showt...9293&t=3581854
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) is offline  
Old 11-19-11, 09:33 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: OOOOOlathe
Posts: 1,062
Re: Time for a new laptop

Not bad, but I want a minimum 15" screen.
ESUguy is offline  
Old 11-19-11, 09:47 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,343
Re: Time for a new laptop

Ah, I always hate the 15.6" laptop panels because they typically have the same resolution as the 13 or 14.
fumanstan is offline  
Old 11-19-11, 10:18 PM
  #24  
X
Administrator
 
X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1987
Location: AA-
Posts: 10,683
Re: Time for a new laptop

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Ah, I always hate the 15.6" laptop panels because they typically have the same resolution as the 13 or 14.
That's why I thought that 17" could be good if portability wasn't a big issue.
X is offline  
Old 11-19-11, 10:53 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: OOOOOlathe
Posts: 1,062
Re: Time for a new laptop

Originally Posted by X View Post
That's why I thought that 17" could be good if portability wasn't a big issue.
17" would be good, but I don't think I'd get out the door for under $7.
ESUguy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.