Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

The Amazon Kindle Fire Thread.

Old 11-15-11, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Amazon Kindle Fire Thread.

I honestly didn't think I was going to like it as much as I do. It has replaced the iPad 2 . I LOVE the form factor and it's big enough. Easy to use. No case so far. Hulu and Netflix work great (sort by Release Date to find Netflix). Have to try out Prime and browsing. But so far this is the best tablet. Reading is great. That's the thing with Amazon, they do things right. They were the last ones with library lending but do it the easiest (using Abobe was clunky and slow).
Old 11-15-11, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: The Amazon Kindle Fire Thread.

Yeah, I guess it's a good idea to start it's own thread.

I posted a bunch of my impressions in the other thread. So far i'm really happy with it, moreso then I was with my hacked together Viewsonic GTablet running Honeycomb.

I'm looking for a good case too, the reviews for the ones on Amazon's site aren't particularly good. If anyone has a good suggestion, please share!
Old 11-15-11, 09:16 PM

I've been a big fan of the M-Edge Latitude cases for Kindle.

http://www.medgestore.com/products/kindletab1/

They have a 20% Off coupon for Twitter/Facebook users. Shipping is free and arrives in about a week. You can also buy them at Amazon.

http://app.medgestore.com/promos/paystoshare/
Old 11-15-11, 09:47 PM

I'm shocked, SHOCKED that the OP bought the latest trendy gadget on day 1.

Okay, not really. Just shocked that you only bought ONE.
Old 11-15-11, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Eh, froze already. if anyone else has the same issue, hold power button 20 secs to turn off and then again to turn on. Trying to figure out which book to get from free from Prime.
Old 11-15-11, 10:18 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I'm shocked, SHOCKED that the OP bought the latest trendy gadget on day 1.

Okay, not really. Just shocked that you only bought ONE.

What are you supposed to do with this thing, just read stuff, maybe watch some movies?
Old 11-15-11, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Books: Buy, of course, but as a member of Prime you get a huge selection of current bestsellers and you get one free read a month (may not seem like much but if you just get Prime for this it's $6.59 a book, a great deal for current reads). And borrow from your current library. If you select to just see available titles there's a lot of good stuff to choose from. Reading Lance Armstrong's War now.

Movies: Huge selection of movies and TV.

Music: Access anything you bought from Amazon recently that's on your cloud.

Hulu, Netflix.

Any Android app in the Amazon bookstore. Ereaders, games, applications, Facebook, etc.

One free app a day.

Web browsing, e-mail, navigation.

It's a tablet.
Old 11-15-11, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Blond moment: Looking for the Nook app in the Fire app store Eh, the iPad has it and Apple sells books. The Fire should have it also.
Old 11-15-11, 10:45 PM
Premium Member

If you already have an iPad2, why would you buy this?

Edit: It doesn't even support the Chipotle app.
Old 11-15-11, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Form factor is a lot better. This is coming with me to a two-week trip to Israel, the iPad is staying home. This fits in my purse. Now I just need a case ....

Oh, and I've wanted an Android tablet ever since they came out, I just never bit because I was waiting for the right one.
Old 11-15-11, 11:00 PM

If this is your first time using Amazon Instant Video, check your credit balance. Amazon has been adding credit for recent Blu/DVD purchases. I'm up to $28 in credit right now.

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
If you've bought any New Release Blus or DVDs lately, you might have some VOD credit. I had $15 credit for VOD and I didn't even know it.

Check your balance by going to any VOD title page. At the bottom of the black box it says:

"Have a promotion code? Redeem a gift card or promotion code. View Balance"

Click on the View Balance link.
Here's the thread for Amazon Prime Instant Video:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum...s-updates.html
Old 11-15-11, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
Blond moment: Looking for the Nook app in the Fire app store Eh, the iPad has it and Apple sells books. The Fire should have it also.
Download Easy Installer from the app store and then sideload the Nook app. One of the reviews I read tried this and apparently it works, with some limitations.
Old 11-15-11, 11:11 PM
X
Administrator

Books: Buy, of course, but as a member of Prime you get a huge selection of current bestsellers and you get one free read a month (may not seem like much but if you just get Prime for this it's $6.59 a book, a great deal for current reads). And borrow from your current library. If you select to just see available titles there's a lot of good stuff to choose from. Reading Lance Armstrong's War now.

Movies: Huge selection of movies and TV.

Music: Access anything you bought from Amazon recently that's on your cloud.

Hulu, Netflix.

Any Android app in the Amazon bookstore. Ereaders, games, applications, Facebook, etc.

One free app a day.

Web browsing, e-mail, navigation.

It's a tablet.
I think my netbook does all that. Not sure about reading books on it, but I'm not much for reading books on a computer. I do wish I had that when I went to school though. That's assuming they put textbooks on it.
Old 11-15-11, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I like my netbook (the same Acer you have from the Ultrabook discussion thread) and I bought a Fire. I like it for slightly more portable media needs, and particularly for reading books and comic books. Looking forward to giving it a shot on an airplane during Thanksgiving.

I'm trying to sideload a new media player and Android Comic Viewer now to give me some more media options.
Old 11-15-11, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How do you sideload the app?

And it does have textbooks and some you can even rent. There was an expensive book on video games and I rented it and read it for $7
Old 11-15-11, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

After playing with it for a few hours, I don't see how it replaces an ipad. It is a great tablet at a decent relative price to the ipad. But at least right now, its hard to get used to the smaller screen real estate. Both web pages and comical don't fit quite as well as they do on an ipad. For instance I cant see the sides of this textbox as i type. It also.seems heavier than my ipad 1, though that may just be because it's more compact.

I am a bit biased, though, because I have a ton of apps on my ipad that I'm not about to buy again.
Old 11-15-11, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How do you sideload the app?
Here's one way.

You can also get the .apk file off of your android phone and get it onto the Fire (there are a number of ways to do this) and then install it with Easy Installer.
Old 11-15-11, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
After playing with it for a few hours, I don't see how it replaces an ipad. It is a great tablet at a decent relative price to the ipad. But at least right now, its hard to get used to the smaller screen real estate. Both web pages and comical don't fit quite as well as they do on an ipad. For instance I cant see the sides of this textbox as i type. It also.seems heavier than my ipad 1, though that may just be because it's more compact.

I am a bit biased, though, because I have a ton of apps on my ipad that I'm not about to buy again.
I don't think anyone, including Amazon, really believes that it's an iPad replacement. It is an alternative however, for people that want a tablet for media and casual browsing, but don't need the fully-featured capabilities of the iPad.

And yeah, your mind is playing tricks on you. The iPad 1 weights 1.5 lbs. The Fire weighs less than a pound (14.6 oz).
Old 11-15-11, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kefrank View Post
I don't think anyone, including Amazon, really believes that it's an iPad replacement. It is an alternative however, for people that want a tablet for media and casual browsing, but don't need the fully-featured capabilities of the iPad.

And yeah, your mind is playing tricks on you. The iPad 1 weights 1.5 lbs. The Fire weighs less than a pound (14.6 oz).
I was just trying to temper the expectations created by the OP.
Old 11-15-11, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I was just trying to temper the expectations created by the OP.
Ha! Fair enough.
Old 11-16-11, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I really need to read up on this stuff before I buy it. So I had thought that you could upload personal stuff to the amazo cloud and then download to the fire similar to how you can move things over via Usb, but I guess this isn't possible?
Old 11-16-11, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You can do that, but you only get 5GB free. You can get more storage but at $1 per GB per year. Amazon content doesn't count against your limit.
Old 11-16-11, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

You can download music via the Cloud Player, but I don't think you can download other docs that you upload. A search on Google seems like other people have the same question, and I can't figure out how to do it either.

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/r...x2P7OJB9HWFGK6

Last edited by fumanstan; 11-16-11 at 01:51 AM.
Old 11-16-11, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Right I think you can only stream music. All your other personal stuff you upload is basically unrecognizable by the fire (or is so deeply buried that I can't figure it out). So why would you need more cloud storage, if you can really only use amazon purchased products and they don't count against the cap anyway?

The only reason I tried it was because they didn't supply a USB cord.
Old 11-16-11, 04:52 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

anyone have more concrete specs on Amazon's second tablet device possibily due Q1 2012?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.