Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

iTunes Match is out!

Old 11-14-11, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

iTunes Match is out!

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/14/...itunes-10-5-1/

Coming several weeks late, Apple has just now officially launched iTunes Match to customers in the United States. The iTunes Match launch is facilitated by the release of iTunes 10.5.1, which now allows users to subscribe to the $25/year service offering cloud-based matching and upload of users' complete iTunes libraries. iTunes 10.5.1 is available via the iTunes download page and should be rolling out to Software Update shortly.

Apple had apparently initially intended iTunes Match to launch by mid-October as part of iTunes 10.5 as seen in a number of developer betas, but the company removed the feature from iTunes 10.5 for the public release, giving it a few more weeks to complete work on the service. Even so, Apple missed its stated launch target of "end of October" and did not provide an updated timeframe for the iTunes Match debut once the target was missed, although the company continued testing with a new developer beta of iTunes 10.5.1 just this past weekend.

iTunes Match is a U.S.-only service for the time being, although the company is reportedly working hard to secure licensing to details to expand availability to other countries. iTunes Store users in a number of countries have been greeted with a "coming soon" tag on iTunes Match promo listings in their country-specific stores, suggesting that Apple is optimistic regarding expansion of the service in the relatively near future.

Update: Demand of iTunes Match subscriptions has overwhelmed Apple's systems, and the company has halted new signups for the time being.
New iTunes Match subscriptions are temporarily unavailable.

Due to overwhelming demand, iTunes Match is not accepting new subscriptions at this time. Please check back in an hour.
Update 2: Despite Apple's notice about overwhelming demand still showing on the iTunes Match subscription page, subscriptions do now appear to be going through.
Old 11-14-11, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: iTunes Match is out!

I'm going to give it a try, of course.
Old 11-14-11, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I only have 10843 songs, 53.71 GB. In this computer/library. So let's see how this works.
Old 11-14-11, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't get it. Can't you already download every song you've bought from iCloud? Is this just a backup of your iTunes library?
Old 11-14-11, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
I don't get it. Can't you already download every song you've bought from iCloud? Is this just a backup of your iTunes library?
No, this covers every mp3 you have, whether it was purchased from iTunes or not. They can be mp3s you bought from Amazon or elsewhere, ripped yourself, or acquired through less honorable means.

Match will scan your music library and any song that is available from iTunes will be available for streaming with this service.
Old 11-14-11, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Think of it this way:
-- iCloud is just for syncing music to be stored on and played from your local device
-- iTunes Match is about streaming all the music you own that is available on iTunes without worrying about syncing any of it locally
Old 11-14-11, 11:37 PM
Banned by request

Does iTunes let you redownload songs that have been matched, or is it streaming only?

Edit: According to Apple's website, once your music is matched, it is available for streaming or storage. And it will upload songs from your library that it can't match. Intriguing.
Old 11-15-11, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I started iTunes Match at 6:44 PM.

By 8:30 PM, it matched 10,659 songs I had on my computer to music available through the iTunes Store.

It's currently 11:00 PM and iTunes Match has uploaded the remaining 624 out of 3,790 songs not available through the iTunes Store onto iCloud.

I have to be up early for a work meeting... so, uh, I guess I'll see if it's done by 6 AM (I doubt it).
Old 11-15-11, 01:01 AM
Banned by request

Didn't realize it has a 25,000 song limit for songs not purchased on iTunes. I have 42,500 songs on my hard drive and exactly 64 of them were purchased through iTunes.
Old 11-15-11, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Loading searching now....

So there is no space limit? Or it really doesn't take up space on their server? I assumed you would have to pay the $25 for Match + whatever to increase your storage space on the Cloud. Awesome if you don't.
Old 11-15-11, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Does iTunes let you redownload songs that have been matched, or is it streaming only?

Edit: According to Apple's website, once your music is matched, it is available for streaming or storage. And it will upload songs from your library that it can't match. Intriguing.
I have no interest in streaming, but backup storage sounds interesting.
Old 11-15-11, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

6:12 AM: 978 of 3,790 songs uploaded.

At the rate iTunes Match is going, all of the songs will be finally uploaded by 2012.

If this exercise has taught me anything, it's that I need to weed through my music library and get rid of shit I don't need.
Old 11-15-11, 08:15 AM

Upload? I thought it just matched the music on your HD, rather than forcing you to upload it. Hence the name?
Old 11-15-11, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Loading searching now....

So there is no space limit? Or it really doesn't take up space on their server? I assumed you would have to pay the $25 for Match + whatever to increase your storage space on the Cloud. Awesome if you don't.
For iTunes Match, it's technically not "saving" your audio file on their servers (unless it's something that's not available from iTunes at all). It's matching the song that you own to the 256k AAC file available from iTunes and giving you access to stream or download that AAC file. It does, however, save whatever metadata you had associated with the song.

The only song files that it actually uploads to their server are songs not available on iTunes. The only limitation on space is the indirectly associated limitation that was mentioned before: 25,000 songs not purchased from iTunes (regardless of whether they're matched or uploaded) and as far as I know, there's no way to up that limit.
Old 11-15-11, 08:40 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Upload? I thought it just matched the music on your HD, rather than forcing you to upload it. Hence the name?
Yeah, really. Didn't they say that it should take "seconds" or "minutes" to match?

Horse pucky!
Old 11-15-11, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Reading is fundamental. :P

He said iTunes matched 11k of 14k. He's in the process of uploading the 3k it didn't match.
Old 11-15-11, 10:09 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

NOOO!!!

You're right. I might try to use iTunes Match for my wife, but I'm not sure she cares enough to bother.
Old 11-15-11, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

going to wait until the servers clear up to sign up for this. and get some more music
Old 11-15-11, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Highly considering this for at least the first year so I can up the quality of some of the older things in my library.

I remember when I did the jump from CD to MP3 and ripped all my discs prior to selling them I choose 160kbps but that was way back in itunes 4 (at the time it was high).
Old 11-15-11, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SterlingBen View Post
Highly considering this for at least the first year so I can up the quality of some of the older things in my library.

I remember when I did the jump from CD to MP3 and ripped all my discs prior to selling them I choose 160kbps but that was way back in itunes 4 (at the time it was high).
That's basically my main idea here too.

And yeah, if you don't have your music organized, and with the right tags, it can be really annoying. I'm talking from experience here.

So far it worked pretty well in my iPhone and my iPad (both using WiFi). I will try to do a test in a 3G connection later this week.
Old 11-15-11, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
That's what it's supposed to do, but it's inconsistent right now. I have a lot of songs scattered in my library that didn't match, but the rest of the songs on the album they are part of did match. For instance, of the tracks on Ben Harper's Fight For Your Mind, 13 matched, but "Ground on Down" didn't and was uploaded. Other albums have more like a 50/50 split. But, some really obscure stuff matched completely. I knew the stuff that's not available on iTunes would have to be uploaded, but the whole point of this is that we weren't supposed to have to upload as much.
Old 11-15-11, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

9:22 PM: Just got home. 1,540 out of 3,790.

Ugh.
Old 11-17-11, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Took me about two days to get my ~12,000 songs matched/uploaded. Now this works flawlessly on my iPhone. $25/year is worth it to me to not have to worry about syncing through my home computer.

I've found that I do need to go and update tags and delete a lot of junk though...
Old 11-17-11, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've got over 22K songs on my PC. I'll probably try this out for a year and see how I like it.

Question: what do I use to stream the songs... The Music app? iTunes app? Or is there an iTunes Match app that I'll need?
Old 11-17-11, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

?

This does not stream the songs...you can 'stream' as the song is downloading to your iOS device though

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.