Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

no sound - "No Audio Output Device is installed"

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-11-11, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i dont know what happened. i had sound then all of a sudden i didnt.

the little speaker icon on the bottom right of my screen now has a red X on it and when i put my cursor over it, i get the error "no audio output device is installed"

im not really sure what that means but when i did a little research it said I had to install a new driver? does that make sense? whats a driver?

anyways, i went to control panel, then "add hardware", then selected "search for recommended hardware", then under "sound game and video controllers" it retrieved a list of possibilities...

and i have no idea which to pick? can i choose any? are some better than others? do i have to select one specific to my computer? if so, how do i know which i can choose?

not having sound sucks. please help. thanks.
Old 11-11-11, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: no sound - "No Audio Output Device is installed"

A driver is what tells Windows how to operate a given piece of hardware, and yes you need to use the one designed for your specific audio device.

If you bought a pre-built computer from a major manufacturer (Dell, HP, etc.) , then odds are you can download the driver from their website. Go to their website, click on support, and enter in the model number of your PC. You should see an option for downloads. Download the driver for the audio device and run to install it.
Old 11-11-11, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

thanks. i went to hp, found my computer, downloaded the driver and installed it. still nothing.

do i need to "activate" it or anything like that?
Old 11-11-11, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would take a look in Device Manager under Sound, Video and Game controllers and make sure nothing is showing a red X, yellow exclamation or anything that indicates a problem. I don't know what brand of audio card HP integrates into their boards but you definitely see something in there related to audio. If you can post everything you see under Sound, Video and Game controllers or post a screenshot. In a situation like this if I knew what my audio card was I'd just uninstall it from Device Manager and reboot so the PC picks it up again, and make sure you have the proper driver around in case the hardware process asks for it.

However, if it just stopped working all of a sudden, unless the driver got updated automatically for some reason, it's possible the sound card is actually failing. If that proves to be the case and you're not under warranty, you could just buy a cheap sound card and put it in as an add-on card. Just want to make sure you disable whatever onboard audio you have in BIOS.

Yeah I know that sounds complicated but it really isn't - there should be docs out there than can walk you through it.
Old 11-11-11, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

well i made some progress. now at least when I goto my device manager, the driver appears under "sound video and game controllers" (before there was nothing, not even the s/v/g controllers category). however it has a yellow exclamation point on it. any idea what this means?
Old 11-11-11, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

bunkaroo: i was posting mine at the same time apparently. so yes, i do have a yellow exclamation point.

is a driver a program or a physical component of the computer?
Old 11-11-11, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Right click on the listing with the yellow ! and go to properties. The Device Status window will tell you what the error is, though it will probably something generic.
Old 11-11-11, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by atari2600 View Post
well i made some progress. now at least when I goto my device manager, the driver appears under "sound video and game controllers" (before there was nothing, not even the s/v/g controllers category). however it has a yellow exclamation point on it. any idea what this means?
That means that there's something wrong with the device. It could be a configuration issue, a driver issue, or hardware issue. Double-click on it to see what the error code is.

More info on the exclamation mark:
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/tipstricks/f/yellowdm.htm
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001212.htm#00

Originally Posted by atari2600 View Post
is a driver a program or a physical component of the computer?
It's a program. Device drivers are a software interface for a physical component of the computer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Device_driver
Old 11-11-11, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Also make sure the "Windows Audio" service under Services is started.