Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Hard Drive Prices Increasing...

Old 11-05-11, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Hard Drive Prices Increasing...

So, I've been on the lookout for a few hard drives, and even modest capacity drive is rather expensive. Almost twice as much as what I was looking at just a month ago. WTF. Is this the fallout from the Thailand flooding?

I may just grab a few IDE drives from an older computer and use those until these prices come back down.
Old 11-05-11, 08:40 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Re: Hard Drive Prices Increasing...

I noticed this at Frys this week and the whiteshirt said 'yeah, its because of whats going on in China'
Old 11-05-11, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

yeah...noticed that too.

i found an external 2tb drive at staples on sale and a $25 off $75 coupon to get a good deal on a 2 tb drive (taking it out of the case to use as in internal).

ram is pretty cheap....but motherboards seem to have gone up a bit as well.
Old 11-05-11, 09:52 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_19266849

The historic floods in Thailand, the world's largest manufacturer of computer hard disk drives, could ripple across the global tech economy and disrupt an array of industries, from PC makers to cloud computing.

The rising monsoon waters, which began in July and have killed more than 400 people and forced thousands to evacuate their homes, have swamped seven major industrial parks housing many of the nation's hard-drive factories, which supply critical components to companies such as Apple (AAPL). The floods have also wreaked havoc with other manufacturing sectors, from automobiles to jeans.

While Thailand would never make anyone's list as a technology hub the way China or Taiwan would, the Southeast Asian country's role as the components assembly-line for the computer industry underscores how problems in one link of the PC global supply chain can disrupt other industries.

Thailand supplies about 40 percent of the world's hard disk drives -- the heart and muscle of most computers -- and is also a major producer of parts that are shipped to hard-disk-drive makers in other countries. With many factory floors now under water, the country's hard drive output could be slashed by 25 to 40 percent, according to research firm IDC.

Western Digital, which has extensive operations in Thailand, said product shipments could drop from 58 million for the quarter ended Sept. 30 to 22 million to 26 million for the current period. Seagate, whose corporate officers are based in Silicon Valley, said its hard drive factories in Thailand were unaffected by the flooding. However, it said its shipments could drop by as much as 20 percent this quarter.

Old 11-05-11, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn, I drive I got 8 months ago for $80 @Newegg is now $240. I was hoping for a cheap 2TB drive on black friday, but that's not happening.
Old 11-05-11, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I got lucky. Bought 4 of the Hitachi 3tb for $110 each a few weeks ago for my NAS. Now it's going for $260 each at Newegg.
Old 11-05-11, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by crankyman View Post
yeah...noticed that too.

i found an external 2tb drive at staples on sale and a $25 off $75 coupon to get a good deal on a 2 tb drive (taking it out of the case to use as in internal).

ram is pretty cheap....but motherboards seem to have gone up a bit as well.
heh, i remember the good old days when i could pick up an Intel dual core chip and mobo combo for under $30.
Old 11-05-11, 11:34 PM
X
Administrator

Fortunately, it seems now, I've been buying when I see deals on hard drives and literally have no place to put any more of them. I guess that worked out ok. Not sure about the peanut butter yet...

The flooding in Thailand has been noticed for a while and therefore the deal on the 2TB Seagate (*shudder*) at Best Buy for $75 has been considered decent for the last week. I'm glad I didn't have to resort to that!
Old 11-06-11, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

It's almost cheaper buying USB Flash drives.
Old 11-06-11, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

At least SSD prices are getting a bit more reasonable lately.
Old 11-06-11, 12:56 AM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
At least SSD prices are getting a bit more reasonable lately.
That's what I've been buying lately. And they're certainly getting almost reasonable in price. There's a 512 GB Crucial M4 for $750 at Newegg.
Old 11-06-11, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I noticed a few days ago that the prices on Amazon were starting to go crazy and everything jumped in price by about 50%.

I really hope that this doesn't lead to a run of low-quality hard drives flooding the market to fill demand in the near future.
Old 11-06-11, 06:58 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wondered why hard drives are twice what they were just recently at Newegg. Went to price an 80gb WD for an older computer, $75!!! It was just $34 the last time I looked! That's insane... -kd5-
Old 11-06-11, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by crankyman View Post
yeah...noticed that too.

I picked up 2 of these as well and did the same thing. Seemed to be pretty much the only option for a cheap 2TB drive right now. The cases are pretty neat too. While I won't be using them with these drives, they'll probably get used by something else.
Old 11-06-11, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I noticed early last week that Micro Center doubled their hard drive prices and put a limit on the number you can buy. The local store is limited to "two per person", but according to Slickdeals, several other locations are limiting you to one. I ended up repurposing an old 160 GB SATA drive for a new workstation at the office instead of spending $80+ on a new 500 GB one.

Curiously, 2.5"/laptop hard drive prices don't appear to be quite as insane (yet). Lower demand, I guess.
Old 11-06-11, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wmansir View Post
Damn, I drive I got 8 months ago for $80 @Newegg is now $240. I was hoping for a cheap 2TB drive on black friday, but that's not happening.
I just checked and I was off slightly. I bought the 2TB drive just about a year ago. The drive I bought 9 months ago was a 1TB drive for $55, it's now $188.
Old 11-06-11, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I bought a 1.5TB (or was it 2TB?) drive a few weeks ago for $55. Now they're $155. Yikes.
Old 11-06-11, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY

glad I bought two 2TB drives back when I only actually needed 1
Old 11-07-11, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

2TB WD Green Internal SATA

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Western+...ef=10&slloc=01

$80
Old 11-07-11, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 11-07-11, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jacoby Ellsbury View Post
Thing is, that's double the price they were a few weeks ago.
Old 11-07-11, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Thing is, that's double the price they were a few weeks ago.
The regular price for the Caviar Green 2TB was $40? I personally haven't seen them for less than $65.
Old 11-07-11, 12:53 PM
X
Administrator

I like WD drives but I wouldn't touch a 2TB Caviar Green. I had two go bad on me, luckily I tested them by filling them (at least trying to) overnight. One crapped out about 3/4 of the way through, one went bad almost immediately. Gave up on them and went with Hitachis.

I've had good luck with the WD Green 1.5TB versions.
Old 11-07-11, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by X View Post
I like WD drives but I wouldn't touch a 2TB Caviar Green. I had two go bad on me, luckily I tested them by filling them (at least trying to) overnight. One crapped out about 3/4 of the way through, one went bad almost immediately. Gave up on them and went with Hitachis.

I've had good luck with the WD Green 1.5TB versions.
So I assume - Hitachi Touro Desk USB 2.0 3TB External Hard Drive for $119.99 - would be worthwhile? (USB 2.0 on a 3TB hdd makes no sense, but I think I can survive with it.)
Old 11-07-11, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
The regular price for the Caviar Green 2TB was $40? I personally haven't seen them for less than $65.
Yup, I was able to buy them locally for around $50.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.