Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Comcast offering me free cable whats the catch?

Old 11-01-11, 02:46 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Comcast offering me free cable whats the catch?

I've had comcast internet for years and recently got rid of their modem and bought my own. I haven't had TV with them for years.

All of a sudden they're offering me FREE cable and FREE cable box rental NO trial period pricing--price wont change after x amount of months.

All for the same I'm paying now.

The lady really wanted me to get in on this deal. I can't figure out the catch. What fresh hell are they trying to foist upon me?
Old 11-01-11, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Comcast offering me free cable whats the catch?

Do you have to sign a contract? If so, what are the terms of the contract?

I would ask for some documented guarantee of that deal in writing or via e-mail, including the lack of expiration. The CSR can say whatever she wants, but what shows up on your bill may be much different.
Old 11-01-11, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd double and triple check the deal. Is the TV really free, or are you subscribing to a "double play" package, where the costs of TV and internet equal what you're paying now (i.e. paying less for internet, but then paying for some TV). Is the internet speed the same as what you're getting now?

Also, did you ask them what the motivation was?
Old 11-01-11, 03:45 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

The lady insisted there was NO catch. She thought it was funny that above all else my position was to mistrust comcast no matter what.

It was called a "enhanced performance" plan (I think thats what it was, i wrote it down at home) and that I probably wont be able to find it online because it was just for me.

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
I'd double and triple check the deal. Is the TV really free, or are you subscribing to a "double play" package, where the costs of TV and internet equal what you're paying now (i.e. paying less for internet, but then paying for some TV). Is the internet speed the same as what you're getting now?
She said that it wasnt "FREE" but the cost for both balanced out to be equal to what I'm paying now-- $59.99

I turned it down because I suspect they would gimp my bandwidth somehow (even though I asked and she insisted, no).

I'll reconsider getting it if it really is a deal
Old 11-01-11, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

More "sales"?

Specially if it's not directly from Comcast but from an authorized reseller.
Old 11-01-11, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Save Ferris View Post
She said that it wasnt "FREE" but the cost for both balanced out to be equal to what I'm paying now-- $59.99
That sounds more plausible. Typically with the multiple-services packages, they discount the individual services. So if they discount your internet and add in a discounted basic TV service, then it's possible you'd end up paying around the same.

Note that this is before fees though. I don't know offhand if TV and internet have separate fees, but if they do, you may end up paying a little bit more due to fees associated with the TV service. If you talk to them again, see if they can figure what your monthly bill after fees would be.

I'm sure Comcast is trying to build up/retain its TV subscriber base as more and more people go internet only and use internet services for their TV viewing. Even with a Basic plan, customers likely end up watching less internet video, cutting down on bandwidth usage. Then they can also entice customers with VOD services and upsells of additional channels, DVR, etc.
Old 11-01-11, 04:33 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

This was direct from Comcast, not a reseller.
Old 11-02-11, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
That sounds more plausible. Typically with the multiple-services packages, they discount the individual services. So if they discount your internet and add in a discounted basic TV service, then it's possible you'd end up paying around the same.

Note that this is before fees though. I don't know offhand if TV and internet have separate fees, but if they do, you may end up paying a little bit more due to fees associated with the TV service. If you talk to them again, see if they can figure what your monthly bill after fees would be.

I'm sure Comcast is trying to build up/retain its TV subscriber base as more and more people go internet only and use internet services for their TV viewing. Even with a Basic plan, customers likely end up watching less internet video, cutting down on bandwidth usage. Then they can also entice customers with VOD services and upsells of additional channels, DVR, etc.
if i recall my cable bill versus just internet, i was charged taxes, fcc fees, etc on the cable and my internet is a straight charge. another reason i personally dropped cable.
Old 11-02-11, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm curious, do you live in an area with more than one cable company?
Old 11-02-11, 11:18 AM

Locally Internet alone without any additional TV or Telephone/Voice is, I believe, what you mentioned you were paying. If one adds any TV to the mix it drops to $42.95 per month for Internet. That apparently includes even the lowest lever tier of TV that is often not mentioned at around $13.95 per month. Some of these numbers may be different depending on location of course. Perhaps some device to show yet one more TV subscriber for their records or something. The CSR can then show one more "sale".
Old 11-02-11, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The question I'd ask is could I get a lower rate for internet alone? i just had cable internet installed at my parent's house for $15/mo. Of course, your package i'm sure has more bandwidth.

a warning with the low end package, i have it, and i only get a few digital channels, most are analog, and picture quality is grainy. hopefully yours is better. I'll probably ditch it, and go back to ota.
Old 11-02-11, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Save Ferris View Post
If this is the case and it's the regular price for bundled services, then I can guarantee you the fine print of the contract states they can raise your rates at any time at their discretion. Granted, the same is almost certain to be true of your internet-only rates.
Old 11-02-11, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In my case it's a few bucks cheaper to get the most basic level of TV service included with my Comcast internet package than to just get the internet alone. It's actually come in handy a few times when DirecTV was flaking out.
Old 11-02-11, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Last time I downgraded TWC was very aggressive with another offer - I ended up getting more channels, including 2 premium tiers, for less than I was paying before. That price was good for either 6 or 12 months.
Maybe what they pay is based in part on how many subscribers they have, so it might be cheaper for them to give away some product than take the hit on their end. Plus many people probably keep it at least a month or so past the limited time (if there is a limited time).
Or, yes, bundles can sometimes be cheaper than the individual services.