Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Whats the Cheapest way to get Windows 7

Old 10-31-11, 09:15 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Whats the Cheapest way to get Windows 7

A family I know really struggles to make ends meet and I wanted to give them a computer for the holidays. Their computer is REALLY crappy. Nothing really salvageable on it.

I, however am constantly rebuilding my computer piece at a time so in my scraps, I can put together a nice computer for them--all except the OS.

I bought win 7 with my latest build--stupid question--how many licenses come on the Win 7 Pro version? Somehow I'm under the impression I can get 3 installs on it?

Failing that, are the 'used' windows 7 kits on Craigslist legit? Ebay?

Or what's the best place to buy a OEM disk?
Old 10-31-11, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Whats the Cheapest way to get Windows 7

If they have a student in the house you could convert Server 2008 to something very similar to windows 7 for free. That is what I did, it takes a little effort to set up, but I've been very pleased with it.

Where to get:
https://www.dreamspark.com/default.aspx

How to:
http://www.win2008r2workstation.com/
Old 10-31-11, 09:27 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

They do have a student who would use the computer
Old 10-31-11, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If the student has an .edu email address, you can buy a student edition of Windows 7

at one point was $30, but now is like $65

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...UB_4up_Windows
Old 10-31-11, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

buy technet for yourself at $350 the first year and $250 every other year. you can give out Win 7 and other software to friends as part of the license
Old 10-31-11, 10:33 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post
If the student has an .edu email address, you can buy a student edition of Windows 7

at one point was $30, but now is like $65

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...UB_4up_Windows

She's a grade school student, no .edu account yet.

I don't know if a technet account is for me--I'm not the kind of user who'd get the most out of one.
Old 10-31-11, 10:35 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

There's a cheaper subscription to technet if you don't want the Win 7 Pro options. I think I renewed at $150 when I got it. It includes ALL MS software for the most part, except games.

Note that, as al_bundy says, "you can give out Win 7 and other software to friends," while that's technically possible, it's not officially allowed by the license. The technet license is supposed to be meant for testing, evaluating, and reviewing the software. Throwing it on a friend's custom-built PC is kind of outside of the scope of that. That said, I don't think MS has ever pursued anyone for violating this part of the license. Instead, they changed the entire license structure so, for the most popular software (windows, office, etc.), you only get 2 license keys per version. BUT, you can still use each key on up to 10 machines.
Old 10-31-11, 10:36 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

the server 2008 conversion looks possible. Is it something that needs an expert user though (after initial setup)? These people aren't very computer savvy and can't use something that needs regular tweaks to run normal win7 programs.
Old 10-31-11, 10:38 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Originally Posted by SomethingMore View Post
There's a cheaper subscription to technet if you don't want the Win 7 Pro options. I think I renewed at $150 when I got it. It includes ALL MS software for the most part, except games.

Note that, as al_bundy says, "you can give out Win 7 and other software to friends," while that's technically possible, it's not officially allowed by the license. The technet license is supposed to be meant for testing, evaluating, and reviewing the software. Throwing it on a friend's custom-built PC is kind of outside of the scope of that. That said, I don't think MS has ever pursued anyone for violating this part of the license. Instead, they changed the entire license structure so, for the most popular software (windows, office, etc.), you only get 2 license keys per version. BUT, you can still use each key on up to 10 machines.
I assume this is includes future versions of windows?
Old 10-31-11, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There are OEM copies out there, but IMO these licenses fall into a gray area, you won't get any support if you need any and I think it is questionable if MS really considers this a legal license to load on any random machine.

http://www.discountmountainsoftware....v6.html?cmp=gp
Old 10-31-11, 10:59 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Save Ferris View Post
I assume this is includes future versions of windows?
As long as it is released to technet within the time that your subscription is valid. Win 7 showed up on technet right on the official release day, I believe. Windows Home Server (the new version) is there, too. I've been meaning to use that, but haven't had time to build the computer for it yet.

For example, if you sign up now, and Windows 8 comes out in less than 12 months, then you'll have at least 2 license keys available to install Windows 8 (so, 20 machines). And once you've claimed a key on technet and used it on any machines, it is good forever. These aren't timed-trials or anything like that.
Old 10-31-11, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by SomethingMore View Post

i've read the license. in the US it says you can give it out to like 10 people
Old 10-31-11, 11:21 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

No, you have not read it.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../cc294422.aspx

8. PRODUCT KEYS. The software requires a key to install or access it. You are responsible for the use of keys assigned to you. You should not share the keys with third parties.

15. SCOPE OF LICENSE
You may not
- rent, lease or lend the software

25. NO TRANSFER TO THIRD PARTIES. You may not transfer your subscription or any software to any third party.

I haven't seen anyone suggesting that Microsoft has actually gone after people who violate these terms, but it's in the agreement so they can use it against you if need be.
Old 10-31-11, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
buy technet for yourself at $350 the first year and $250 every other year. you can give out Win 7 and other software to friends as part of the license
This isn't true. It's a violation of the TechNet Subscription license to distribute the keys to others. If you're caught doing this, MS deactivates all the keys tied to that TechNet Subscription account.

Windows typically only comes licensed for use on one computer at a time. The only exception is the Windows Home Premium Family Pack, which can be activated on 3 computers at once:
http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Wind...dp/B002MV2MG0/

Note that both the Family Pack and 4KRG's Student Edition of Windows 7 Pro are Upgrade editions, meaning they technically have to be installed on a computer that already has a version of Windows on it. There are workarounds for getting them to activate on a clean install, but if you don't have a license of a previous version of Windows for the PC, you're technically violating the upgrade license.

starman9000's suggestions seems the cheapest and most legit, provided the student in high school or higher. There doesn't seem to be any restriction on how the student uses their license of Windows Sever 2008 R2 (which is the server equivalent of Windows 7).
Old 10-31-11, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

the last license update is this year. they might have gotten rid of that part of it might be in the MSDN license. i've had MSDN access for a few years and technet only this year. and my employer only bought it because it's cheaper than paying MS PSS by the case

i remember a year or two ago i was reading the license and they had an exception for a few family and friends. could have been the MSDN license and not the technet one
Old 10-31-11, 11:49 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Old 10-31-11, 12:07 PM
X
Administrator

Having switched recently from using server OSs for my primary computer to a workstation OS, I just want to point out that a fair number of programs won't install on a server OS. Many anti-virus and backup programs in particular.

Some need to operate differently with a server OS, some look at the OS signature and don't look for servers, most want to charge you more because they assume you're in a corporate environment. So just keep that in mind before committing to it.
Old 10-31-11, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by X View Post
Having switched recently from using server OSs for my primary computer to a workstation OS, I just want to point out that a fair number of programs won't install on a server OS. Many anti-virus and backup programs in particular.

Some need to operate differently with a server OS, some look at the OS signature and don't look for servers, most want to charge you more because they assume you're in a corporate environment. So just keep that in mind before committing to it.
These pages show some of the compatibility issues you can run into with security software and games on a Windows Server OS:
http://www.win2008r2workstation.com/...urity-software
http://www.win2008r2workstation.com/win2008r2/games
Old 10-31-11, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Sounds like you're better off just buying a $100 OEM copy of Windows 7 from a legit site like NewEgg.

All this talk about technet subscriptions or Server 2008 modifications seems far more obtuse then what you're end goal is.
Old 10-31-11, 12:44 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

I know. This family is not very tech savvy. I don't want to curse them with something hacked or gimped.

This gift is getting more and more expensive lol
Old 10-31-11, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I know. This family is not very tech savvy. I don't want to curse them with something hacked or gimped.

This gift is getting more and more expensive lol
I'm computer-savvy, and I've always noticed that giving friends/family computers, gadgets, software, etc. means that I become responsible for helping them if something goes wrong...forever.
Old 10-31-11, 01:33 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

In retrospect, we should have all just told you to buy them a new iMac.
I apologize.
Old 10-31-11, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

the server 2008 conversion looks possible. Is it something that needs an expert user though (after initial setup)? These people aren't very computer savvy and can't use something that needs regular tweaks to run normal win7 programs.
Originally Posted by X View Post

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
These pages show some of the compatibility issues you can run into with security software and games on a Windows Server OS:
http://www.win2008r2workstation.com/...urity-software
http://www.win2008r2workstation.com/win2008r2/games

Yeah, I'm pretty much a newb and was able to do it without much hassle, but if they are going to be installing many programs I would recommend against it.

But then again, if you are looking between a dirt cheap pc vs a cheap pc, it's hard to top free. (Granted, if they don't have a .edu email, it might not be relevant anyway)
Old 10-31-11, 08:01 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Thanks for all the input. You guys are bringing up ideas I never would have thought about!
Old 10-31-11, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you have a college nearby, and access to a student there, you might be able to get them to buy a student copy in their bookstore for $15 or so depending on the school. Typically they are allowed one copy.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.