Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

My computer may be fried, need suggestions

Old 10-26-11, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My computer may be fried, need suggestions

Long story short, Edison replaced the meter at my place with a new smart meter and, in the process, I must've lost power. Whatever surge might have resulted from having it turned back on affected my computer and now it won't power on at all, even though it was plugged into a new surge protector strip. Normally I'd unplug everything before a planned outage, but they gave me no advance notice. A guy from Edison came by today and said it appeared to be fried, so he have me a claims form and said to fax it in with repair cost or new PC cost.

My questions are:

1. Is this probably a repairable issue? If not, can my hard drive be recovered and transferred to a new PC?

2. If I do need a new computer, what's a good suggestion? My current PC had been sluggish, so I'd like one that is quick and has a large hard drive. I'm not a gamer so I don't need anything too fancy.
Old 10-26-11, 03:19 PM
X
Administrator

Re: My computer may be fried, need suggestions

Unless you see or smell something obvious on the motherboard, replacing the power supply would be the first step. If the computer wasn't on, the hard drive would probably be ok.
Old 10-26-11, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I vote power supply. Had something similar happen to me and that's all it was.
Old 10-26-11, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

if you have a spare psu, try swapping it, and swapping back. once, my computer wouldn't turn on, so i swapped the psu out to another one, it worked. swapped back to the original and it worked as well.
Old 10-26-11, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Since you are local, I recommend taking it to Micro Center, if you buy the PS there, and it isn't the fix, they have no issues with you returning it...sometimes they will help you troubleshoot it right there.
Old 10-26-11, 04:51 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Power Supply would be my first guess as well. If you have a PSU tester or a spare power supply to swap, that would be my first step. I would also examine the capacitors on the motherboard. The tops of the capacitors should be flat (or even very slightly concave). If they appear to be in the least bit swollen, or even oozing brownish colored goop/powder from the center of the top of any of the capacitors, then I would call the motherboard a loss. If your power supply tests good or a swap using a known good power supply provides no joy, then even though none of the capacitors appear to be swollen or oozing, I would still call the motherboard a loss. -kd5-
Old 10-26-11, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Why not just get the new free PC?
Old 10-27-11, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the sugfgestions, guys. The Edison guy who came by plugged some stuff into various ports and told me it appeared the PS was dead. Now I just need to find a decent local store to take it to.

Originally Posted by Nifty03 View Post
Why not just get the new free PC?
I'd assume they'd need to see a repair ticket stating it couldn't be fixed before they'll give me $ for a new PC.
Old 10-27-11, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

psu replacement is pretty straight forward, to do.
Old 10-27-11, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Had a very similar issue as you. Power went out, then back on, and immediately off again. When power finally came back and stayed on, the computer wouldnt turn on. Swapped out the power supply, and it came right up. Relatively inexpensive, and very easy to do.
Old 10-27-11, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Go to Micro Center, off the 55fwy at Edinger! (no I don't work there)
Old 10-28-11, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I just replaced my power supply.
Old 10-28-11, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I took it to some local guy, real nice dude. Said it'd be $110 ($60/hr. labor, $50 for PS). I realize that sounds high, but Edison is footing the bill so who gives a shit, right? I'm picking it up after work.
Old 10-28-11, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal View Post
I took it to some local guy, real nice dude. Said it'd be $110 ($60/hr. labor, $50 for PS). I realize that sounds high, but Edison is footing the bill so who gives a shit, right? I'm picking it up after work.
1 hour to install a power supply? Damn, that guy is either overcharging on time, or he's the slowest computer tech ever. Out of curiosity, what power supply did he install? $ 50 is quite a bit for a basic power supply.
Old 10-28-11, 07:50 PM
X
Administrator

Why even bother looking at a PS replacement if you can't get an hour labor out of it? No telling what might happen.
Old 11-01-11, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

they probably have a min 1 hour labor charge even if it takes only a few minutes.
this is pretty common for repairs ...for plumbers, electricians, movers, etc...
Old 11-01-11, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by timewaster View Post
they probably have a min 1 hour labor charge even if it takes only a few minutes.
this is pretty common for repairs ...for plumbers, electricians, movers, etc...
Not to mention he'd probably also run some basic diagnostics in addition to actually doing the replacement. Still not nominally an hour, but close enough if he does the job thoroughly including testing.
Old 11-02-11, 07:33 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by D.Pham00 View Post
1 hour to install a power supply? Damn, that guy is either overcharging on time, or he's the slowest computer tech ever. Out of curiosity, what power supply did he install? $ 50 is quite a bit for a basic power supply.
Regarding time, it depends on the computer. I replaced a power supply on a Dell XPS where you had to remove the processor heatsink/fan shroud just to get the PSU cables out (which were snaked along the edge of the motherboard under the shroud). Took considerably longer than it would have replacing a PSU on a standard ATX case.

Regarding the price, it depends on whether or not the guy installed a POS power supply and overcharged him for it, or he installed a decent power supply with a reasonable markup. Personally, I wouldn't install a POS power supply, it would more than likely come back to bite me in the ass.

If I was doing it myself on an older computer that didn't require a massive power supply, then $27.00 for a 350W (Rosewill RV350) power supply from Newegg (higher wattage for a dependable power supply = more $$$) would probably do it. But getting it replaced at a computer repair shop, if the guy didn't charge something for his time, and make some kind of a profit on the power supply, then what's the point of being in business?

Just my .02 cents worth, -kd5-