Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Are rechargeable batteries worth it?

Old 10-24-11, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Are rechargeable batteries worth it?

I have realized my daughter, wife, and I are playing the Wii a lot more lately. We have rechargeables, but when I plugged in some for another charge, the charger said they were not good. I think I bought them just a few months ago. So my big question is, are they worth it? Or would it do just as good to buy a big pack or regular ones? I thought rechargeable batteries were supposed to last for several charges. Any truth to that?
Old 10-24-11, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Are rechargeable batteries worth it?

Something went wrong if they only lasted you a few months. I've had rechargable batteries that lasted a very long time.
Old 10-24-11, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was wondering if it was a bad batch or something. I was thinking they should last a lot longer.

Mods, thanks for moving. wasn't sure where to post this one.
Old 10-24-11, 07:47 PM

Rechargeables are definitely worth it in the long run. They're more expensive initially but more than pay for themselves eventually. Keep in mind that they're not good for infrequently used devices as they will self-discharge over time even if you don't use them be sure they're in a device you use regularly (NiMH).

I would definitely agree that you must have a bad batch of batteries or a bad charger. I would look into the warranty and see if you can get them replaced.
Old 10-24-11, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And make sure you get NiMH instead of NiCad.
Old 10-24-11, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've been using Sanyo Eneloops in my video game controllers and cameras for going on 5 years with no problems and they hold a charge a long time even when just left sitting around. Well worth the investment.
Old 10-24-11, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They are definitely worth it for high-drain devices that are used a lot. I've used the same 4 AA rechargeable batteries in my bluetooth computer keyboard for about 5 years now. They've paid for themselves many times over, as they discharge about every 2 months or so. That would have been about 120 regular AA batteries.

Originally Posted by yakuza70 View Post
Keep in mind that they're not good for infrequently used devices as they will self-discharge over time even if you don't use them be sure they're in a device you use regularly (NiMH).
Actually, there's a newer type of NiMH battery which discharges much less over time. They hold about 80% of their charge over a year of inactivity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_sel...e_NiMH_battery

If you need that kind of battery, just look for the wording about holding its charge longer on the package. It should be clearly marked.
Old 10-24-11, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mugwump View Post
I've been using Sanyo Eneloops in my video game controllers and cameras for going on 5 years with no problems and they hold a charge a long time even when just left sitting around. Well worth the investment.
This

You can also get duraloops which are duracell pre-charged batteries that are said to be the same as the eneloops (I have had really good luck with them anyway) Amazon sells them for roughly $2/each for an AA shipped (if you meet shipping terms of $25 or have prime), keep your eye out for the deal.

http://www.amazon.com/Duracell-Pre-C.../ref=pd_cp_e_0

Tell us what brand batteries you have and what charger you use??

Many times a smart charger can recover a battery error

http://www.amazon.com/Maha-Powerex-M.../dp/B000NLUSLM

or

http://www.amazon.com/Crosse-Technol...9512352&sr=1-2

and yes, they are worth it. I have around 40 AA's and 12 AAA's use them in all kinds of devices all the time. The smart charger is what keeps them alive for years.
Old 10-25-11, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just have an Energizer charger and batteries.

http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Rech...9551526&sr=8-3

http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-CHP4...d_bxgy_e_img_c

I thought Energizer would be good for this type of constant recharging, but apparently there are better alternatives out there. Thanks for the suggestions folks.
Old 10-25-11, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another vote for Sanyo Eneloops, use them in everything including Wii-motes and have yet to toss one out in several years of use.
Old 10-25-11, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by trespoochies View Post
I just have an Energizer charger and batteries.

http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Rech...9551526&sr=8-3

http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-CHP4...d_bxgy_e_img_c

I thought Energizer would be good for this type of constant recharging, but apparently there are better alternatives out there. Thanks for the suggestions folks.

I would be willing to bet that your issue is the charger.

Pick up one of the chargers I linked to, get some eneloops (or similar) and you should be good. I think a real smart charger would fix the batteries you have, so that might help you justify the cost.
Old 10-25-11, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Awesome, thanks. I'll definitely pick up one of those smart chargers and go from there.
Old 10-25-11, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I use eneloops for my Xbox controllers. They are the best.
Old 10-25-11, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I would like eneloops, but since I started out with rayovaks I decided it was best just to keep the same type. They've worked great for me for all my remotes, controllers, and toys for the kids. Usually you can get 4 for about $7 at Walmart too, so they may not last quite as long, but are a little cheaper up front.
Old 10-25-11, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

another vote for enloops.
i've been using them for my xbox controller for a few years now.
Old 10-25-11, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not with the price of batteries at home depot or costco
Old 10-25-11, 12:14 PM
Banned by request

Another eneloops user here. Great batteries.
Old 10-25-11, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I also have an Energizer charger with similar issues. I suppose the issue is 'roasted battery', works for most but not all batteries.
CH15MN
http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Rech...9562717&sr=8-1

Rechargeables is the only way to go for high-drain devices. I'd try a different charger like 4krg says.
Old 10-25-11, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Eneloops are great, but I have so many chargers now because the costco pack is such a good deal.

But I have found that, especially in kids toys, it's better to just go with regular batteries because of the infrequent use that others have mentioned, and the fact that you're not going to be switching them between toys all that often. But for wiimotes and electronic devices, they're great.
Old 10-25-11, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay, so another question on infrequent use, is it better to leave them in the remotes? Or does removing them conserve power?
Old 10-25-11, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree that ENELOOP batteries are great. Been using them for several years now in everything from camera to electric clock to nose-hair trimmer. In the clock and nose-hair trimmer they last for a LONG time. In the cameras they last much longer than throw-away batteries.

Independent people & companies have done a lot of experiments/tests with ENELOOP batteries - Google them and you'll be amazed.
Old 10-26-11, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by trespoochies View Post
Okay, so another question on infrequent use, is it better to leave them in the remotes? Or does removing them conserve power?
For Eneloops leave them in, they do slowly loose their charge but it takes months. They will discharge sitting on the shelf at the same rate.
Old 10-16-14, 08:35 AM

^ Bump ^

Scrambling around the house looking for AA batteries this morning, to no avail. Was going to order a new pack of disposables and thought I'd check in here first, to see if I can be swayed to entering the realm of the rechargeable.

Potential devices: remote control for TV and Onkyo receiver, PS3 remote, wireless mouse, wireless keyboard, Wii remotes (rarely used these days), children's toys, random miscellaneous.

What does a guy need to know before starting out?
Old 10-16-14, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by story View Post
^ Bump ^

Scrambling around the house looking for AA batteries this morning, to no avail. Was going to order a new pack of disposables and thought I'd check in here first, to see if I can be swayed to entering the realm of the rechargeable.

Potential devices: remote control for TV and Onkyo receiver, PS3 remote, wireless mouse, wireless keyboard, Wii remotes (rarely used these days), children's toys, random miscellaneous.

What does a guy need to know before starting out?
I like the eneloops. I used them in my old camera, and they lasted at least twice as long as other rechargables. Regular alkalines were a joke in that camera. Presently I use 4 AAA in my harmony remote. I need to swap them out every 6 months or so, and this remote gets daily use. I am going to switch my wireless mouse over if the original alkaline batteries that came with the mouse will ever die. I like them because they don't discharge as they sit, so when I switch batteries out, I put the discharged ones on charge and let them sit fully charged.
Old 10-16-14, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I've just been using readily available Energizer ones. I don't think there's much to know, buy some batteries and a charger and away you go. They've worked just fine for me on various devices.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.