Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Pay as you go Virgin Android Question

Old 10-19-11, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Pay as you go Virgin Android Question

I have an Optimus V and pay the unlimited everything pay as you go each month. I was wondering if i travel to England, can i still access the internet or phone services internationally?
Old 10-19-11, 02:25 PM
X
Administrator

Re: Pay as you go Virgin Android Question

I don't think VM allows that kind of roaming. I could be wrong though. You should probably ask one of their support people in India about it, they'd probably know.
Old 10-19-11, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Virgin Mobile uses Sprint's CDMA network, while the rest of the world, especially Europe, uses GSM networks. So even if VM wanted to allow it, their phones won't work.

You should be able to buy a cheap prepaid cellphone over there for calling, and the rates will be much cheaper than any international roaming option ever would be. You could also connect your Optimus to wifi hotspots over there for internet access.

http://www.telestial.com/
http://www.studyinbritain.com/info/mobile-uk.asp
Old 10-19-11, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
Virgin Mobile uses Sprint's CDMA network, while the rest of the world, especially Europe, uses GSM networks. So even if VM wanted to allow it, their phones won't work.

You should be able to buy a cheap prepaid cellphone over there for calling, and the rates will be much cheaper than any international roaming option ever would be. You could also connect your Optimus to wifi hotspots over there for internet access.

http://www.telestial.com/
http://www.studyinbritain.com/info/mobile-uk.asp
Based on my recent trip to Romania (via a stop-over in London) I can confirm all of the above.
Old 10-20-11, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, the Wi-Fi portion should still work, so you could access the Internet that way.

[VM Motorola Triumph user]
Old 10-20-11, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ooops! Sorry, I missed the part of Jay G.'s post where he mentions that!
Old 10-21-11, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Well i am more concerned about using the Internet than making calls over there. So i guess it sounds like i might be able to still connect to the net over there via my phone at least. Well guess i will find out.
Old 10-21-11, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by james2025a View Post
Well i am more concerned about using the Internet than making calls over there. So i guess it sounds like i might be able to still connect to the net over there via my phone at least. Well guess i will find out.
mobile broadband might be prohibitively expensive. I checked into Verizon's rates in England, and it was $20,000 USD per GB. Of course, you are on VM pp, but still, you may empty your balance pretty quick. On Verizon, it automatically tells you the data and voice charges via text once you enter a new country, make sure though, they may put it in MB, not GB. VM might do the same, but I'm not sure.

Also, if you have wifi, you can use GrooveIP to make free calls with your Google account to the US. Call quality is kinda staticky, but hey, it's free.