Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Quick Blu-Ray/Wi-Fi Connection

Old 10-14-11, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quick Blu-Ray/Wi-Fi Connection

If I am buying a blu-ray player with wi-fi enabled (Example - http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMP-...&s=electronics), can I use any wi-fi dongle, or do I have to buy the specific Panasonic dongle? I would think any would work, but I don't want to buy the product and then be wrong about that.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 10-14-11, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Quick Blu-Ray/Wi-Fi Connection

The "wifi-ready" standalones typically only take the specific USB dongle designed for them. They're not like PCs where you can load a driver in order to use any USB dongle you want.

If you really need wifi, you should probably buy a player with it built-in, like this Panasonic:
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMP-...p/B004G8HXXO/r

It's more expensive, but still cheaper than buying the "wifi-ready" one and the USB dongle.
Old 10-14-11, 02:54 PM
X
Administrator

Instead of a player-specific dongle, it could be cheaper to look for a deal on a wireless bridge that is configured by a computer and ends up looking like wired ethernet to your player and anything else connected to it.
Old 10-14-11, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by X View Post
Instead of a player-specific dongle, it could be cheaper to look for a deal on a wireless bridge that is configured by a computer and ends up looking like wired ethernet to your player and anything else connected to it.

$20 for a Wireless-N router than can be used as a wireless bridge. Allows up to 4 wired LAN-capable devices to communicate with the rest of your wireless network. Only 150Mbps rather than 300Mbps, but that should be fine for many home networks.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833166064

I use a different (discontinued) Rosewill router to give my Blu-ray player and my Onkyo receiver wireless access to both a media server and the Internet. It works well, and was all of $20 when I bought it.