Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

What Can I Do About My Cable Internet Provider?

Old 10-11-11, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

What Can I Do About My Cable Internet Provider?

Besides kick them to the curb? Actually I can't even do that because I'm in a rural area and AT&T u-verse is my only other option for broadband.

My provider is a small regional cable company called Cobridge COmmunications. They bought out my area and suddenly I stopped being a Charter customer and was switched to this new company. After a month, I noticed the service quality dropped significantly. I dealt with total outages 2-3 times a week, sometimes lasting several hours.

Now I have a new problem that I've never experienced with any other provider. During peak hours, 6-10pm, my internet speed drops from 16 megs to slower than a dialup modem. It's just as bad as an outage. Webpages take 10 minutes to load or time out, and forget about Xbox live, Netflix or using Vonage. This is now happening every damn night, and I'm running out of minutes using my cell phone as a result. The drop is instant.

Their tech support is a brick wall. Takes forever to a live agent, then they put you on hold and the call is disconnected! Their only solution is to send out a tech guy. I explained last night that this would be useless. It's not my equipment. Other ppl in this area are having the same issue. And isn't a little odd that this happens around the same time every night? The technician would have to be at my place during the speed drop to troubleshoot anything, and it usually happens after hours for them.

Does it sound like this shitball company is selling more accounts than they have bandwidth? I feel like I'm getting ripped off and paying for a service that I can't use! What would you do in this situation?
Old 10-11-11, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: What Can I Do About My Cable Internet Provider?

Maybe the modem needs to be rebooted or replaced.

I've been there - cable internet was on and off for months, was ready to drop them but all of a sudden, the service had been rock solid since then.

I'd at try to have them come to your house to check things out, if still have problems afterwards, go with another ISP.
Old 10-11-11, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Buy area
Change everyone to cheap and slow upstream connection
?
Profit

New company means new path to Internet backbone

Netflix is also run via cdn from different isp's. Chances are level 3 doesn't have local netflix data on your ISP and everyone is going to the Internet for Netflix
Old 10-26-11, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

At least you have a choice. I spent years at a place where Charter was my only choice.

U-verse isn't as fast, and the latency isn't as good for gaming as Charter, but their customer service is leagues better.

I even had to have the techs come out three times for latency issues, but one of them was really good (and helped resolve my problem with intermittent lag spikes / timeouts).

We're back to the Tivo HD for free OTA TV and U-verse for the internet. No charter. Yay!
Old 10-26-11, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32 View Post
Does it sound like this shitball company is selling more accounts than they have bandwidth?
Yes, it's likely they bought the market and immediately downsized their existing upstream pipe to radically cut overhead. Usually works like that, cut upstream, and oversell. Every time they think they are geniuses for cutting costs that way.

I feel like I'm getting ripped off and paying for a service that I can't use!
You are. That Telecommunications Act of 1996 is the gift that just keeps on giving.

What would you do in this situation?
Well... short of getting the community of users together to sway the ISP(not likely anyone would go to the trouble, people just don't have the nerve/will/etc to do such), you can confront the ISP as an individual and try to get resolution(and probably won't) or switch ISP's.

Or keep getting ripped off with little hope of service improving. These groups that buy up markets that are low-profit for the larger telcos target rural areas so they have a captive audience they can screw over.

Back in the dial-up days they used the 1996 Act to buy up rural markets and unless you paid them three times what you would AOL or the like, they would cut your dial-up speed to like 10k for dialing out through them to get to another provider, or even cancel your account for the phone line if you continued to dial out.