Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Windows 7 install. Please help...

Old 10-08-11, 01:13 PM

Windows 7 install. Please help...

This could become very confusing, so please bear with me.

Previous status:
I have one hard disk, split up in 2 partitions. The first partition contains the OS (windows XP), the other partition is mostly used for data. This is the current layout:
- system, drive letter C:, about 200GB
- data, drive letter D:, about 300GB

Wanted config:
I added an SSD to my system. Size is 120GB. I want this to become the boot drive. I want to install win 7 ultimate on t.

What I did
1. I added the SSD to my system (just plugged it in a SATA port), and booted the computer using the win7 ultimate DVD install disk.
2. I installed windows 7, selected the SSD as the target, went through the install procedure without problems, and have activated win7.

What is the problem?
When I boot, I get the "no system disk error". Nothing starts... I suspect there is a problem, because the MBR is likely on my old hard disk, which also contains XP. Win7 is on the SSD, but that's not where the MBR is.

What does work?
If I put the win7 install DVD in the computer, and try to start, it asks "press any key to boot from DVD". If I do NOT press a key, I actually do get to the boot options, where I can select either XP or win7 to boot! So, I can boot, but I needed the install DVD in the computer. I tried to boot to win7, and it works fine.

What would I ideally want?
I want the entire boot, system, ... to go to the SSD. I want to remove the XP OS, as I don't need it anymore. Basically, ideally I want the computer to work with just the SSD hooked up (so I can remove my old hard disk, and obviously I don't want to have the win7 DVD in the computer in order to boot).

What have I tried?
When you boot off the win7 install DVD, there is an option to repair your computer and repair startup issues. I have tried that, but it doesn't fix the problem.

Next steps?
So, in short, I can boot in win7 (if I have the DVD in the computer as well). So, if someone can give me pointers on how to 'move' the MBR to the SSD, and make the SSD the system drive, that would be fantastic.
If I go in computer management, I see the following under 'disk management":

disk 0 (old hard disk):
- partition 1, drive letter D:, healthy (System, Active, Primary Partion)
- partition 2, drive letter : healthy (logical drive)

disk 1 (SSD):
- only one partition, drive letter C:, healthy (Boot, page file, crash dump, primary partition)

Thanks people! I have spent hours to try and fix this, and simply can't.
Old 10-08-11, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Windows 7 install. Please help...

A couple of things to try.

First, you didn't mention if the old disk was SATA or PATA, or what the bios boot setup is. Since you've spent hours trying to fix this I assume you've played around with the boot order, but maybe not.

If they are both SATA have you tried switching the disks SATA ports. You might have to fix the windows bootloader after you do this, but you may at least get to the loader.

Also, how many times have you run the Windows disk's boot repair? You should keep trying until it works or keeps trying to do the same repair over and over.
Old 10-08-11, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

When you installed Windows 7 on the SSD drive did you still have your old hard drive connected? I don't know if this will work for you or not but I've had a similar situation in the past and I fixed it by disconnecting my old drive and only having my new one connected when I installed Windows. Then after Windows was installed and you could boot up to it, turn off the computer, re-connect your old hard drive, and then re-boot. It should boot to the OS on your SSD drive. Then I would go into your old drive and delete the windows folders.....and you could probably delete the Program Files folder too. That's what I did to fix my problem.
Old 10-08-11, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Go into Disk Management.
Select the C: partition.
Right-click and select "mark partition as active."
Then reboot and see if that works.

In the future, disconnect any mechanical hard drives before installing Windows to a SSD (optical drives are fine). I have heard that the bootloader can get placed on a mechanical hard drive, even though it's being installed to the SSD.
Old 10-08-11, 02:23 PM

@wmansir:
old harddisk is PATA, SSD is obviously SATA
I'm not certain if doing the same thing over and over again would eventually work...

@setzer:
Yes, I had the old drive still connected. I had to do it that way, because the win7 DVD required a previous OS to be present (it was an 'upgrade' DVD). I did do a clean install on the SSD though, but it still required an OS harddisk to be connected. If not, it wouldn't allow me to continue (I tried installing with only the SSD installed, it didn't allow me)

@drexl:
I did the "mark as active" on the SSD and rebooted. It now doesn't give me the "no system disk" error anymore, so I guess that is improvement.

The new error is "BootMGR is missing. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart". So, unfortunately, things still don't work.
Old 10-08-11, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe EasyBCD would work. It's a tool for changing and repairing the bootloader.
Old 10-08-11, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LolaRennt View Post
@wmansir:
old harddisk is PATA, SSD is obviously SATA
I'm not certain if doing the same thing over and over again would eventually work...
My point was to keep running the Windows Boot repair until IT attempts the same repair again.
The boot repair only tries to fix one problem at a time, so it may not fix the whole boot process until it has been run multiple times. Before you restart you can view the repair details to see what problem it found and attempted to fix on that run.

Also, did you set your bios to boot off SATA?
Old 10-08-11, 04:26 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Do you have or can you borrow a Windows XP CD? If so, remove the XP hard drive altogether, install the SSD as the primary hard drive, boot to the Windows 7 disk, provide the XP CD when asked, finish installing 7. Then later, connect the XP hard drive as slave, use Disk Management to format the C partition, and use EASEUS Partition Master (free) to merge C with D and you have the entire hard drive to use as storage (or whatever). -kd5-
Old 10-08-11, 05:08 PM

@kd5:

WINNER! That's exactly what I ended up doing. I removed the old HD, installed XP (I still had a disk) on the SSD, and then put win7 over top of that, as a fresh install.

All works like a charm now! I'm still frustrated, from a theoretical point of view, that I was not able to actually fix the problem, but I can live with it.

Thanks for all your help, very much appreciated!
Old 10-08-11, 05:30 PM

The issue was because you wanted to move the OS from the PATA to the SSD, and windows kept looking back to the PATA. For future reference you can easily "trick" and upgrade version of Win 7 into being a new install, much better then installing 2x. Also, I would suggest ditching the PATA and getting a SATA drive for storage, you can get 1TB + for nothing now a days. I have a similar setup on my computer, use a SSD for OS, and have two 1TB WD Black drives for storage. Be sure to enable TRIM if your MB will support it for even faster SSD speeds.
Old 10-08-11, 05:33 PM

@schmedy:

How do you trick the win7 into being a new install? After all, I have a legal version of xp, and a legal version of win7, so if I can avoid doing the double install next time, I'd happily do that!
Old 10-09-11, 09:04 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Unless Microsoft changed the way they do things w/ Windows 7, with all prior versions of Windows you could install an upgrade version "clean". Insert the upgrade disk (on a clean hard drive), begin installing normally, at some point toward the beginning you'll be asked to prove that you're eligible for the upgrade by inserting the XP disk. Just swap out disks, allow 7 to "see" the XP CD, then it will tell you to swap back to the 7 disk, and you can continue to install Windows 7. That way you don't have XP in the background while 7 is installing.

I would start out with a clean hard drive first, if you can wipe the drive before you begin, that would be best. -kd5-
Old 10-09-11, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by LolaRennt View Post
@schmedy:

How do you trick the win7 into being a new install? After all, I have a legal version of xp, and a legal version of win7, so if I can avoid doing the double install next time, I'd happily do that!
It's not as simple as showing Win 7 some old windows disk, now you install, then have to change a value in the registry, not hard at all really. If you want I can send you the directions.
Old 10-10-11, 07:13 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
Unless Microsoft changed the way they do things w/ Windows 7, with all prior versions of Windows you could install an upgrade version "clean". Insert the upgrade disk (on a clean hard drive), begin installing normally, at some point toward the beginning you'll be asked to prove that you're eligible for the upgrade by inserting the XP disk. Just swap out disks, allow 7 to "see" the XP CD, then it will tell you to swap back to the 7 disk, and you can continue to install Windows 7. That way you don't have XP in the background while 7 is installing.

I would start out with a clean hard drive first, if you can wipe the drive before you begin, that would be best. -kd5-
Apparently, M$ changed the way we can clean-install Windows Vista and Windows 7 (money-grubbing b*st*rds):

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...7-version.html

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/...-upgrade-media -kd5-