Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Help please! Can I get a used iPhone 4 for $99?

Old 10-06-11, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Help please! Can I get a used iPhone 4 for $99?

I'll try and make this short, but I'm not a very tech savvy guy and rarely have posted in this forum. So, if I appear ignorant, I apologize in advance.

First, I have the 3GS and waited to get the 5. I was so excited because of all the word/rumors that this one would be a big upgrade. When the 4 came out, it was disappointing to me.

My contract with AT&T is about over, so I get the full subsidy towards a new phone...any phone. So, I was ready for the $199 iPhone 5.

The problem with the new phone, the 4Gs for me is that I DO believe the rumors that the 5 will appear sometime next year. So, if I take the 4Gs, I won't be at a part of my contract to upgrade again, without paying full price, until the 5 has been out for quite some time. I know someone will say it might not show up next year, I don't buy it, but even if it's early 2013, the same applies.

So, the phone I want and will want will be out of my price range and by the time I am able to upgrade again, the rumors of the next one will be coming. I know these things get replaced with new models very quickly, but I don't need to bite on every new thing. But the 5 will be special. The 4GS seems ok to good now, but it won't when the 5 comes out.

Therefore, I'm trying to upgrade just a bit and not sign a new contract waiting out for the iPhone 5. I know you can get the 4 for $99 soon brand new, but only with a 2 year contract. That's the stickler.

If I can find someone or someplace that sells the 4 for $99 in great used or refurbished condition, then I'm shelling out $99 for what I'm willing to gamble will be a rental and my contract when it expires will go to month to month and when the 5 comes out, I will qualify for the upgrade at the reasonable price of $199. At this point my 3GS is a little too worn for my liking or I'd hang on to that until the 5.

I have to believe if the stores are going to be selling them for $99 new soon, then there might be other ways to get one other than risking Ebay or someplace where there are so many people who might be selling fake stuff.

Anyone here have any suggestions or am I stuck?

Thank you for reading and any help you can offer.
Old 10-06-11, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Help please! Can I get a used iPhone 4 for $99?

Sorry to say but I think you're stuck. There's no way you're getting a 4 for $99. 3GSs are still going for well over that online.
Old 10-06-11, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

BTW when you get the 5 it won't be as good as the 5s or 6 coming a year behind it
Old 10-06-11, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk God

yeah, no way. you are going to pay at least $200 - $300 for one, since they are still going for like $599 unsubsidized.
Old 10-06-11, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by nevermind View Post
BTW when you get the 5 it won't be as good as the 5s or 6 coming a year behind it
You know, I don't mind constructive criticism and I don't post just to get people to give me the answers that I want, but even with a wink, this is not a helpful thing to say.

The point I was making was that some upgrades, in my opinion, are big jumps up and other aren't quite so much.

I found the 4 to be disappointing and a lot of my more tech savvy friends agreed and believed the step up from the 3GS to the 4 wasn't as worth an upgrade for me, but they believed the next one would be.

Not everyone can just each model and, yes, each one will have some new features, but the question for the consumer is how much of an upgrade do you need from what you have.

So, of course, every single phone will be better than the next in some ways, but the point is the jump from the 3GS to the rumored iPhone 5 was a giant leap, while the leap to the 4 wasn't. Just as a lot of my friends, well it's probably 50/50 because some don't have a family budget to worry about, are going to pass on the 4S because they are willing to be the farm that everything new on the 4S will be on the 5, but that the 5 will just be the bigger all around upgrade, from shape to features and they don't all have the money for a "rental" phone and, like me, plan to upgrade every other model or so, when there's a real big leap from one phone to another.

I mean, for me, I don't care about 1080p over 720p, so the 4 would be a nice holdover until the 5 comes out and I can guarantee that whatever comes after that almost certainly won't blow the 5 away. It will take one or two model before the next next generation iPhone comes around.

Which isn't to say that those who buy each new phone for whatever the feature upgrades are there are stupid. They just are either very interested in any advancements, not only big ones and/or have the money to buy whatever they want. And I don't begrudge anyone for that.

I just thought the prices on the used 4's would have to go down in a week, because the stores will be selling them for $99 new. I'm not sure why people can sell used once for so much AFTER the big price drop, but that's why I posted.

To ask the people here, who know a helluva lot more about this stuff than me and I do appreciate the answers, not quite so much missing the point even if it was done without intending to be mean. It totally missed my point.
Old 10-06-11, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk God

holy verbal diarrhea. just because it's $99, doesn't mean they are going to sell used for that price. sure, the price might come down a little, but like all things apple, their products retain value more than other cell phones. i doubt you are going to find what you want. so you've got 2 choices. suck it up, pay for the upgrade and be happy. or don't pay, wait it out and be happy with your decision.
Old 10-06-11, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It wasn't meant to be mean at all. I apologize.

The stores are selling them in a week for $99 new because they get a minimum of $80 a month from you for two years. They pay Apple the other $400-$500 up front, knowing they'll get it back from you.

I have had my 3GS since launch day and wanted the 4 but decided to wait. This is leaps and bounds better that my 3GS. I'm not going to wait another 8-12 months for a 5, especially since I need to get off AT&T ASAP.

Once again, I apologize.
Old 10-06-11, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just spend the $199 on the 4S. It's an awesome phone and a big step up from your current phone.
Old 10-06-11, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A used 16GB iPhone 4 is currently trending on eBay right now for $200 - $350 plus. New models are trending at a 20% increase, anywhere from $220 - $420 (if not more).

If you think an iPhone 5 sixth-generation iPhone is coming out sooner rather than later, what's stopping you from purchasing that one and waiting for iPhone 5S or iPhone Turbo or whatever Apple might call it? Technology will always become faster, smaller and cheaper; so either bite the bullet now or keep waiting what could possibly be another 12 months, if not more, for a next generation iPhone.

I agree with edstein and just spend the $199 to pick up the 4S.
Old 10-06-11, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think a 4S is a significant upgrade over the 3GS.

In any case, sounds like you already got your answer that no, you won't be able to get an iPhone 4 for $99 to hold you over so you'll either have to pay more, or just convince yourself that paying for the upgrade now is significant enough for a 2 year contract.
Old 10-06-11, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I think a 4S is a significant upgrade over the 3GS.

In any case, sounds like you already got your answer that no, you won't be able to get an iPhone 4 for $99 to hold you over so you'll either have to pay more, or just convince yourself that paying for the upgrade now is significant enough for a 2 year contract.
I agree that 4S is a big upgrade, but from everything that I've heard, the 5, the first 5, not ANY OTHER 5, is going to be the first new iPhone that really changes the look and has a lot more features and that they set up the 4S, because some kind of system is being built or something that isn't ready for the 5.

I'm not trying to be a dick. I get that this is a big upgrade, although I hear it looks exactly like the 4, from the 3GS, but people keep posting about how I'm just guessing that the 5 will be the first new shaped, next generation iPhone, yet every article I read suggests it's a slam dunk that we'll see it next year. Some here say, well it could be much longer or that the next one after the 5 will also have new features.

Does anyone really think the 5 won't be released next year? Do you really think the next 2 or 3 phones after the 5 will make huge jumps like the 5 is supposed to do (from the 3GS and 4)? It doesn't fit Apple's pattern. The 4 wasn't nearly as good as it should have been so they could milk things. Isn't the 4S just one more milking before they bring out the 5, which will finally be a phone that is that phone EVERYBODY (in the iPhone market) wants?
Old 10-06-11, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

cell phone designs have a 2-3 year life like a car model. no conspiracy
Old 10-06-11, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dolphinboy View Post
I agree that 4S is a big upgrade, but from everything that I've heard, the 5, the first 5, not ANY OTHER 5, is going to be the first new iPhone that really changes the look and has a lot more features and that they set up the 4S, because some kind of system is being built or something that isn't ready for the 5.

I'm not trying to be a dick. I get that this is a big upgrade, although I hear it looks exactly like the 4, from the 3GS, but people keep posting about how I'm just guessing that the 5 will be the first new shaped, next generation iPhone, yet every article I read suggests it's a slam dunk that we'll see it next year. Some here say, well it could be much longer or that the next one after the 5 will also have new features.

Does anyone really think the 5 won't be released next year? Do you really think the next 2 or 3 phones after the 5 will make huge jumps like the 5 is supposed to do (from the 3GS and 4)? It doesn't fit Apple's pattern. The 4 wasn't nearly as good as it should have been so they could milk things. Isn't the 4S just one more milking before they bring out the 5, which will finally be a phone that is that phone EVERYBODY (in the iPhone market) wants?
I've never seen anyone line up for a phone other than iPhone. Everyone seems to really like them, 3 or 4. What is it that you want from a phone? The 4s will not be out of date a year or even two years from now. Dual core processor, 8mp camera, 1080p recording, best resolution screen out there. What else do you need? Larger screen perhaps, true 4G speed maybe. Other than those you have everything you will need plus iOS 5.
Old 10-06-11, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by edstein View Post
I've never seen anyone line up for a phone other than iPhone. Everyone seems to really like them, 3 or 4. What is it that you want from a phone? The 4s will not be out of date a year or even two years from now. Dual core processor, 8mp camera, 1080p recording, best resolution screen out there. What else do you need? Larger screen perhaps, true 4G speed maybe. Other than those you have everything you will need plus iOS 5.
I'm not trying to dog this new phone, it's just that more than enough people who are usually right said the 5 wasn't just going to be another upgrade, it was going to be a truly special phone. New design, all the features or this phone plus some of the ones that have been held back so they could sell 4's that didn't have all the features that it should have.

I guess that the while the 4S won't be outdated in a year or even two, that especially the new design and the ability to pay bills by swiping the phone at the market and other places, that I'd had my heart set on the 5 and my contract was in the perfect position for it, and no one I'd heard from expected anything else and then this happens.

I can't afford paying full price for the 5 and I'm afraid it will be so cool, unlike the other phone that have only been mild upgrades imo, that I'll feel bad that I don't have the one I thought I was going to get.

Sounds lame to all of you who have more money and know some much more about tech stuff, but it's still really disappointing because my 3GS is having some troubles, so I can't hold onto it and I just feel bummed out.

I really do appreciate your post, it seemed like you were genuinely interested in helping me figure this thing out. Crap like this seems to only happen to me.
Old 10-06-11, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think the problem is that everything you're expecting with the iPhone 5 did actually occur with the 4. It changed the shape and design of the phone, and did actually include a big change with the new display and faster specs. And the 4S improves on it further with a dual core cpu, better camera, etc. I'm not sure why you're under the assumption that the 4 wasn't as good or just milked things when it was a big departure from the previous releases and very positively received. A year later and the competitors still haven't matched the resolution of the screen (until next week )

I can't imagine the 5 not coming next year, and seems on track to have a new design the same way the 4 did.
Old 10-06-11, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I think the problem is that everything you're expecting with the iPhone 5 did actually occur with the 4. It changed the shape and design of the phone, and did actually include a big change with the new display and faster specs. And the 4S improves on it further with a dual core cpu, better camera, etc. I'm not sure why you're under the assumption that the 4 wasn't as good or just milked things when it was a big departure from the previous releases and very positively received. A year later and the competitors still haven't matched the resolution of the screen (until next week )

I can't imagine the 5 not coming next year, and seems on track to have a new design the same way the 4 did.
A really cool design too from what I hear, while I find the 4 to be rather plain.
Old 10-07-11, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

considering that ebay instant sale allows you to sell the 3gs used for up to $229 right now, I doubt that you can buy a 4 for $99 in good condition anytime soon.
Old 10-07-11, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A really cool design too from what I hear, while I find the 4 to be rather plain.
No one has any idea what the iPhone 5 will look like or what features it will have. Seems like you're waiting for some life changing experience, when in reality, it will probably be just a minor upgrade of the 4S - like every other phone on earth that's ever had an upgrade.
Old 10-07-11, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not trying to dog this new phone, it's just that more than enough people who are usually right said the 5 wasn't just going to be another upgrade, it was going to be a truly special phone. New design, all the features or this phone plus some of the ones that have been held back so they could sell 4's that didn't have all the features that it should have.

I guess that the while the 4S won't be outdated in a year or even two, that especially the new design and the ability to pay bills by swiping the phone at the market and other places, that I'd had my heart set on the 5 and my contract was in the perfect position for it, and no one I'd heard from expected anything else and then this happens.

I can't afford paying full price for the 5 and I'm afraid it will be so cool, unlike the other phone that have only been mild upgrades imo, that I'll feel bad that I don't have the one I thought I was going to get.

Sounds lame to all of you who have more money and know some much more about tech stuff, but it's still really disappointing because my 3GS is having some troubles, so I can't hold onto it and I just feel bummed out.

I really do appreciate your post, it seemed like you were genuinely interested in helping me figure this thing out. Crap like this seems to only happen to me.
seriously, how many stores will have NFC set up by next year?
Old 10-07-11, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah the 3GS to the 4 was a big upgrade... Sure the 4 to the 4S isnt soo much, but from the 3GS to the 4s is a pretty big leap. I had a 3GS and the 4 was a better phone in just about everyway. Going to the 4S is going to be even more so.

No one knows a thing what the 5 is going to look like or have extra in it...
Old 10-07-11, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I found the 4 to be disappointing and a lot of my more tech savvy friends agreed and believed the step up from the 3GS to the 4 wasn't as worth an upgrade for me, but they believed the next one would be.
If you didn't think the 4, the most significant upgrade so far from Apple in terms of both form and functionality, was enough of an upgrade, then I don't know what they hell you expect from the 5.

At this point, any speculation on the 5 is just that, speculation. Nobody knows anything about the next iPhone ever, unless they get their hands on one left in a bar.

The phone subsidies are so high, that even with the price drop for the subsidized iPhone 4, there's no way you'll get a used one off-contract for only $100.
Old 10-07-11, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ugh. Spare me. My original post answered your question.

You want to be helped out any further?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-iPhone...item43aa0ee6cc

Description:
Broken Apple iPhone 4, the phone will power on but the screen is damaged so badly u cant tell what you're looking at. Unsure the extent of the damage, selling as parts phone only. Good luck.

SOLD for $247.50

You are in no way going to get a iphone 4 for anywhere near $99 out of contract. It is a pipe dream. Upgrade to the 4S or don't. You are contemplating holding out for another year on the hope the iPhone 5 is going to wipe your ass as well as make your coffee.

I'd like a 2009 BMW in good condition for $7,500 - we both have the same chances.
Old 10-07-11, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The iPhone 4S is basically an iPhone 5 with a slightly thicker body and no LTE/4G.

So know you are waiting for exactly that, the LTE/4G iPhone.

Personally, that's enough to deter me away from the phone (I want LTE).
Old 10-07-11, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
If you didn't think the 4, the most significant upgrade so far from Apple in terms of both form and functionality, was enough of an upgrade, then I don't know what they hell you expect from the 5.

At this point, any speculation on the 5 is just that, speculation. Nobody knows anything about the next iPhone ever, unless they get their hands on one left in a bar.

The phone subsidies are so high, that even with the price drop for the subsidized iPhone 4, there's no way you'll get a used one off-contract for only $100.
This. Sell your 3GS and get the 4S for free. Maybe then you won't worry so much about missing out on some revolutionary feature which may or may not come to fruition.
Old 10-07-11, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sell you current phone and get the 4S.

Then, skip a fast food place (or other similar unneeded expense) once a week and put the $5 in a jar. When the 5 is released, sell your 4S and take your jar of cash to make up the difference.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.