http://www.msnbc.msn.com/?ocid=twitter
Old 10-05-11, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: RIP, Steve Jobs

Damn, very sad. RIP.
Old 10-05-11, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not too shocking after seeing that last picture.

RIP Steve - at least you're not suffering anymore.
Old 10-05-11, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just head the news from my wife. While not expected still sad.
Old 10-05-11, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They just broke into regular programming with a special report on ABC.

Damn - that's not something you see every day.
Old 10-05-11, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Up on Apple's site now too.
Old 10-05-11, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 10-05-11, 07:01 PM
Banned

Shit.

RIP, Steve Jobs.
Old 10-05-11, 07:06 PM
Banned by request

In my mind, Steve Jobs was the tech industry genius of the 20th century. We won't see another like him for a long time.
Old 10-05-11, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
Just head the news from my wife. While not expected still sad.
He has been very sick for a while. I think people were expecting it to happen in the imediate future.
Old 10-05-11, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Apple.com has a pic of Jobs with dates listed.
Old 10-05-11, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

RiP, Steve Jobs
Old 10-05-11, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
In my mind, Steve Jobs was the tech industry genius of the 20th century. We won't see another like him for a long time.
Old 10-05-11, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
He has been very sick for a while. I think people were expecting it to happen in the imediate future.

I meant to say not unexpected.
Old 10-05-11, 07:21 PM

In my mind, Steve Jobs was the tech industry genius of the 20th century.
I'd say Bill Gates, and he's out trying to cure the ills of this world. But this is not the place for a tech icon pissing contest.

Having said that, Jobs was a visionary and a giant in the industry. Condolences to his family and loved one. The tech industry lost a great one.
Old 10-05-11, 07:22 PM

Man, he really did work as long as he could. The great ones always leave us too soon.
Old 10-05-11, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

iSad
Old 10-05-11, 07:46 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i
Old 10-05-11, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm genuinely upset about this. Gone far too soon. RIP.
Old 10-05-11, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really expected at least some acknowledgment of Steve's contributions to the company at the press conference yesterday. They must have known he was in really bad shape.

RIP Steve, you will be greatly missed.
Old 10-05-11, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Some kind words from Tech leaders as well as a very good response from Obama.

Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates — long regarded as Steve Jobs’ foil in the early years of personal computing — has issued a statement in the wake of Jobs’ death earlier today.

I’m truly saddened to learn of Steve Jobs’ death. Melinda and I extend our sincere condolences to his family and friends, and to everyone Steve has touched through his work.

Steve and I first met nearly 30 years ago, and have been colleagues, competitors and friends over the course of more than half our lives.

The world rarely sees someone who has had the profound impact Steve has had, the effects of which will be felt for many generations to come.

For those of us lucky enough to get to work with him, it’s been an insanely great honor. I will miss Steve immensely.

Source: AllThingsD

From President Obama:

Michelle and I are saddened to learn of the passing of Steve Jobs. Steve was among the greatest of American innovators – brave enough to think differently, bold enough to believe he could change the world, and talented enough to do it.

By building one of the planet’s most successful companies from his garage, he exemplified the spirit of American ingenuity.* By making computers personal and putting the internet in our pockets, he made the information revolution not only accessible, but intuitive and fun.* And by turning his talents to storytelling, he has brought joy to millions of children and grownups alike. Steve was fond of saying that he lived every day like it was his last.* Because he did, he transformed our lives, redefined entire industries, and achieved one of the rarest feats in human history: he changed the way each of us sees the world.

The world has lost a visionary. And there may be no greater tribute to Steve’s success than the fact that much of the world learned of his passing on a device he invented. Michelle and I send our thoughts and prayers to Steve’s wife Laurene, his family, and all those who loved him.

From Google co-founder Sergey Brin:

From the earliest days of Google, whenever Larry and I sought inspiration for vision and leadership, we needed to look no farther than Cupertino. Steve, your passion for excellence is felt by anyone who has ever touched an Apple product (including the macbook I am writing this on right now). And I have witnessed it in person the few times we have met.

On behalf of all of us at Google and more broadly in technology, you will be missed very much. My condolences to family, friends, and colleagues at Apple.

From MIT Media Lab founder (and OLPC chairman) Nicholas Negroponte, an excerpt from the story of Jobs’ less-than-glowing review of one of OLPC’s first XO laptops:

Harsh, but right. It took the next three years to fix the software.

I wish I could show him our tablet.

From Sergey Brin’s fellow Google co-founder, Larry Page:

I am very, very sad to hear the news about Steve. He was a great man with incredible achievements and amazing brilliance. He always seemed to be able to say in very few words what you actually should have been thinking before you thought it. His focus on the user experience above all else has always been an inspiration to me. He was very kind to reach out to me as I became CEO of Google and spend time offering his advice and knowledge even though he was not at all well. My thoughts and Google’s are with his family and the whole Apple family.

From Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen:

My condolences to Steve Jobs family and friends. We’ve lost a unique tech pioneer and auteur who knew how to make amazingly great products.

From Dell founder Michael Dell:

Today the world lost a visionary leader, the technology industry lost an iconic legend and I lost a friend and fellow founder. The legacy of Steve Jobs will be remembered for generations to come. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and to the Apple team.

From Facebook co-founder Mark Zuckerberg:

Steve, thank you for being a mentor and a friend. Thanks for showing that what you build can change the world. I will miss you.

From New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg:

Tonight, America lost a genius who will be remembered with Edison and Einstein, and whose ideas will shape the world for generations to come. Again and again over the last four decades, Steve Jobs saw the future and brought it to life long before most people could even see the horizon. And Steve’s passionate belief in the power of technology to transform the way we live brought us more than smart phones and iPads: it brought knowledge and power that is reshaping the face of civilization. In New York City’s government, everyone from street construction inspectors to NYPD detectives have harnessed Apple’s products to do their jobs more efficiently and intuitively. Tonight our City*– a city that has always had such respect and admiration for creative genius – joins with people around the planet in remembering a great man and keeping Laurene and the rest of the Jobs family in our thoughts and prayers.
Old 10-05-11, 08:50 PM

stick a click-wheel on his tombstone and call it a day...

RIP.
Old 10-05-11, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Fuck.
Old 10-05-11, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Terrell View Post
Having said that, Jobs was a visionary and a giant in the industry. Condolences to his family and loved one. The tech industry lost a great one.
Agreed. Even those of us that weren't into his products know that his influence was vast and will be missed. RIP.
Old 10-05-11, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is really sad. I just hope that Apple will continue the company in his spirit and not turn into a huge money grab of a company like so many others.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.