Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Where do you guys buy blank CD's & DVD's?

Old 10-05-11, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Where do you guys buy blank CD's & DVD's?

I've been looking around for blank BR's, DVD's, and CD's but I haven't found any great deals. Where do you guys buy them, and what kind of prices do you hold out for? I think the best I found on DVD's was NewEgg for around 25 cents/disc...is that a great price?

Thanks,

S2K
Old 10-05-11, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Where do you guys buy blank CD's & DVD's?

I only use Sony and Verbatim. I have a shitload of Verbatim CD-Rs I took home from work, so I'll likely never need those anymore. I seldom use CD-Rs any more, so I doubt I'll ever use them up.

DVD-Rs, I pick up when I find them on sale. Picked up some fifty packs at Target for $10 each a few months ago.

The Sony and Verbatims are sort of hard to find these days. Everyone seems to stock Memorex, which isn't my brand of choice as I've had issues with Memorex media in the past.
Old 10-05-11, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I buy JVC/TY Premium 8X DVD-Rs from Supermedia.com. These are the only brand dvd-r I use in my Panny E500H Dvd Recorder. The problem is I have to ship them free to a Aunt in CA. And pay the CA tax. And then have her ship them to me USPS Priority Mail (Flat Rate box) to me in HI. Still cheaper than having Supermedia.com shipping them to me 2nd day air.

For my personal use I buy Verbatim "AZO" brand dvd-r's from Amazon.com. Two 16X DVD-r 100 spindles per order. Usually when they go on sale for $19.99 each spindle and free 2nd day air shipping.

As for general use for people who want Korean Dramas from me I buy TDK Dvd-r 100 spindles. These usually go on sale for $19.99 at Office Depot.

A about a month ago from BB.com had HP Printable 50 pack spindles of dvd-r's for $2.99 each. So I purchased 15 spindles.
Old 10-05-11, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i haven't burned a dvd in months. and it was only for someone else

what do people use blank discs for these days?
Old 10-05-11, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I buy them at 1998.
Old 10-05-11, 10:24 PM
X
Administrator

I used to buy tons of DVDs for system/data backups. I don't like paying over 20 each.

But I mostly moved to hard drives and then Blu-ray discs for backups. I look for BR media under $1 per 25GB. Newegg often has deals on it, sometimes Amazon.

I haven't bought a CD for at least 6 years. I have thousands of them left over from the days when they were essentially free.
Old 10-06-11, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The Onion: Stack of Unused CD-Rs turns five.
Old 10-09-11, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!

Wow, I must really be behind the times. I still use CD's for my car since it doesn't have mp3 capabilities. I have a 30GB iPod (pre-iTouch) that I haven't used in so long I'm not sure if I remember where it is. I never have an excuse for taking music with me.
Old 10-09-11, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My crv has a USB port that reads flash sticks, idevices, zune and will even play from pandora or slacker. Spotify is a little buggy. For idevices it will let me control the playlist and other playback from the radio and steering wheel controls.

Haven't bought blank disks in years
Old 10-09-11, 06:59 PM

Staples is really the place to go, get them when they are sale and most are free spindles, wait for black friday and you can get a ton for nothing, but they run specials every month on them too.
Old 10-09-11, 07:16 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000 View Post
Wow, I must really be behind the times. I still use CD's for my car since it doesn't have mp3 capabilities. I have a 30GB iPod (pre-iTouch) that I haven't used in so long I'm not sure if I remember where it is. I never have an excuse for taking music with me.
Add me to your list. I have MP3 players all around the house, but my S40 (2005) doesn't have a simple damn stereo input jack (2006 models have it, though!).

I'm about to rip the radio out right now and create a FrankenVolvostein media center.
Old 10-09-11, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Supermediastore.com or meritline.com, depending on who has what on sale.
Old 10-10-11, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

it has been so long, what is even a good price for 100 pack of CD-R s?
12.99?
Old 10-11-11, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Never buy them anymore. I have a USB port on my car stereo to load music and podcasts and external HD to store everything else. Been a long time since I even used my dvd burner.
Old 10-11-11, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What the hell is a CD-R?
Old 10-11-11, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I get verbatim stuff when they go on sale every so often at newegg. Keep an eye on slickdeals forum.
Old 10-11-11, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I buy whatever is cheap. I used to care about different branded CD-R's back in the day, hunting for Taiyo Yuden's, but now I don't really care since I no longer use them to store anything long term.

I still use CD's for my car as well since it doesn't have an Aux port, and I still burn some DVD's on occasion for various ISO's.
Old 10-12-11, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The last time I bought some was at Costco but I hardly use them anymore
Old 10-15-11, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't bought CD-Rs in years, and have been getting by with the "leftover" discs I've had sitting around for years. I actually need to buy some soon - although I can't even remember the last time I burned one for personal use, I sometimes use them to send update CDs and OS install discs to clients (and I will really be happy when they all upgrade to new Windows 7 machines that can boot off USB sticks and install from them, too).

I used to buy DVD discs from NewEgg or MediaSupply (back when I only bought Taiyo Yuden, which are $$$ these days).

Nowadays I usually just wait until Office Depot's house brand (Ativa?) goes on sale for $16.99 - $19.99 for 100. For some reason, all my other local retailers have gone Memorex-only, and Memorex discs burn nothing but coasters on my computer. As in "out of 50 discs, 49 of them fail burning and\or verification". The blanks work fine on my GF's computer, so I bought a new burner for my computer, and that one also burns nothing but coasters with Memorex discs. Any other brand works fine, however.
Old 10-15-11, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum View Post
I used to buy DVD discs from NewEgg or MediaSupply (back when I only bought Taiyo Yuden, which are $$$ these days).

Nowadays I usually just wait until Office Depot's house brand (Ativa?) goes on sale for $16.99 - $19.99 for 100.
Supermediastore.com has Taiyo Yuden for $24 for 100.
Old 10-17-11, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY

where ever dealcatcher.com shows them on sale assuming it's a retailer I've heard of and a brand of discs I've successfully burned to before
Old 10-18-11, 01:40 PM

For dual-layer DVD+Rs, I go to netsoftmedia and get these Verbatims.

For single-layer DVD-R's and CD-R's, I use unbranded Taiyo Yuden discs at Meritline.
Old 10-18-11, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What's a good and/or cheap BD burner? Interesting that you can now easily find cheap $1 BD media. How reliable and durable do you think it is?

I use CD-Rs all the time for music for my car, and just throw away the previous ones once I get a pile. Easy to just mix something together and put it in the CD player. I do have a cigarette lighter adapter for the iPod and my phone but it's just too many steps.
Old 10-18-11, 04:47 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Regarding CD/DVD blank disks, if you're signed up for Newegg's newsletters, keep an eye out for deals on Verbatim 100-packs, sometimes Newegg will have a sale for $16.99 + free shipping on 100-packs of CD-R's & DVD+R's, maybe even DVD-R's (although I'll admit I haven't the foggiest which is better: +R or -R). -kd5-