Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Will this SSD work in my MB?

Old 09-30-11, 10:31 AM

Will this SSD work in my MB?

Hi,

I am looking into putting an SSD in my desktop. The desktop is a bit older, and has this motherboard: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM2/M2AVM/

The SSD I'm looking at would be this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc..._-NA-_-NA-_-NA

I'm not entirely certain if these are compatible. I believe the MB is SATAII and the SSD is SATAIII. So, is the SSD smart enough to be backwards compatible with a SATAII controller? Could someone with more up-to-date technical knowledge than I have a peak?

If not compatible, or if just a poor choice, could you recommend a different SSD (I'm thinking 120GB) that would work for me?

Last edited by LolaRennt; 09-30-11 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-30-11, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Will this SSD work in my MB?

SATA III is backwards compatible with SATA II of course. So you may be able to use this SSD.

I think the OS is more important. If you have Windows 7 the more chances that it would work.
Old 09-30-11, 02:35 PM

Thank you for your reply. I will likely install win7 when I get this disk and optimize for using that OS.
Old 09-30-11, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Personally I would avoid that one. It has 29% 1-egg reviews, indicating a higher than average likelihood of getting a drive that's DOA or craps out in a short time. When I shop for a drive, I look for about 15% or fewer 1-egg reviews. It may work just fine for you, but you're taking a chance from the looks of it.

BTW, if it matters to you, the drive doesn't come with a mount to secure it to a bay designed for 3.5" drives. I didn't bother with it and just left the drive resting in there. It's fine as long as you don't move the computer around. Some people use mounting tape to stick it somewhere.