Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Amazon's Kindle announcements today

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Amazon's Kindle announcements today

Old 10-03-11, 12:27 PM
  #101  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 19,201
Received 385 Likes on 283 Posts
Re: Amazon's Kindle announcements today

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
Once the iPad 3 with the new screen comes out apple will probably sell the 1 for $299 or so
Apple has typically only kept the immediately previous generation around, and that was only for the iPhone. All other products, they just discontinue the older model and discount it to sell through remaining stock.

For example, you can still buy a new iPhone 3GS, but you can't buy a new iPad 1 from Apple.
Old 10-03-11, 12:34 PM
  #102  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 71,383
Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts
Re: Amazon's Kindle announcements today

I thought the joke about the Kindle Fire on SNL over the weekend was pretty funny: "The #1 selling product for parents who always buy the wrong thing."
Old 10-05-11, 06:03 PM
  #103  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
DJLinus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 8,962
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Re: Amazon's Kindle announcements today

Everyone's talking about the Fire, but I just came across this nugget regarding the Kindle Touch:

Amazon Limits Kindle Touch 3G Web Access
By Sara Yin
October 3, 2011 10:01am EST

Caveat Emptor. Amazon's new Kindle Touch 3G doesn't give you full 3G access: it's limited to shopping in the online Kindle Store and browsing Wikipedia, the company clarified over the weekend.

Last Wednesday, Amazon announced the Kindle Touch eReader with a $99 Wi-Fi or $149 3G option. It seemed safe to assume that the Touch 3G allowed users to surf the Web with Amazon's Whispersync technology, just as it was understandable to assume that the Touch 3G would allow unlimited 3G access just like the year-old Amazon Kindle (3G + WSi-Fi), also known as the Kindle Keyboard 3G.

Then last Friday, a customer noticed the Kindle Touch 3G's product page read, "experimental web browsing is available via Wi-Fi."

The "Mom of 3" user asked Amazon what this meant in a Kindle forum, prompting hundreds of people to speculate and debate over the question.

Finally on Sunday Amazon clarified the 3G issue.

"We apologize for the confusion. Our new Kindle Touch 3G enables you to connect to the Kindle Store, download books and periodicals, and access Wikipedia - all over 3G or Wi-Fi. Experimental web browsing (outside of Wikipedia) on Kindle Touch 3G is only available over Wi-Fi," the company said. "Our Kindle Keyboard 3G will continue to offer experimental web browsing over 3G or Wi-Fi."

Unsurprisingly, the statement touched a nerve in the discussion forum and prompted many to cancel their Kindle Touch 3G order in favor of the $100 Kindle Touch Wi-Fi.

"Dear Amazon, why are you charging us $50 to shop in your store?" quipped one user.

However, owners of the Amazon Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi, which doesn't limit 3G browsing through Amazon's Whispersync technology, argued the convenience of being able to download Kindle books on to go, even without a Wi-Fi connections.

"I love my ereader because I don't have to search for Wi-Fi spots especially when I'm in other countries," wrote one user. "I don't expect Amazon to pick up the cost of my surfing the web. As long as they pick up the cost of my using their services to purchase products via the Kindle that's all I expect. If I want to surf other sites then I will use my home network or my account from Verizon."

With the Touch, Amazon CEO Bezos said Amazon had improved the page-turning experience. Rather than splitting the touch field into three, equal, vertical sections for back, forward, and more, the Touch moves the "back" portion to a small slab on the left-hand side, while the "forward" portion takes up a larger part of the screen. This "EasyReach" option, Bezos said, will make reading less tiresome.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817...id=ZEAijOOt4sb

Doesn't really affect me since I've been considering the Wifi version (with special offers!), but thought others might like to know.
Old 10-05-11, 09:26 PM
  #104  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 71,383
Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts
Re: Amazon's Kindle announcements today

Not sure what the big deal is. Why would you want to web browse in e-ink?
Old 10-05-11, 09:28 PM
  #105  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: in da cloud
Posts: 26,193
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Amazon's Kindle announcements today

wasn't it free?
Old 10-05-11, 11:25 PM
  #106  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 19,201
Received 385 Likes on 283 Posts
Re: Amazon's Kindle announcements today

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Not sure what the big deal is. Why would you want to web browse in e-ink?
As al_bundy pointed out, the free 3G browsing was attractive to some.


http://xkcd.com/548/
Old 10-06-11, 01:09 AM
  #107  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,150
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Amazon's Kindle announcements today

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Not sure what the big deal is. Why would you want to web browse in e-ink?
I think the "Why are you charging us $50 to shop in your store?" comment sums it up. The previous Kindle had the ability to surf the web via 3G for a one time surcharge. Yeah, it was e-ink, but it was good for the lifetime of the device. Now they're still charging a surcharge for the 3G but without the web browsing.
Old 10-06-11, 03:14 AM
  #108  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 38,584
Received 1,338 Likes on 962 Posts
Re: Amazon's Kindle announcements today

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
I think the "Why are you charging us $50 to shop in your store?" comment sums it up. The previous Kindle had the ability to surf the web via 3G for a one time surcharge. Yeah, it was e-ink, but it was good for the lifetime of the device. Now they're still charging a surcharge for the 3G but without the web browsing.
The premium price for the 3G Kindle always seemed kind of dodgy. I don't really see the point of paying extra for 3G; I can't imagine absolutely having to buy a book from Amazon's kindle store at some moment when I'm not home or not near a wifi spot.

All of the Kindles I've used seem too clumsy to do any kind of meaningful web browsing, and the e-ink seems really only useful for mimicking paper.
Old 10-06-11, 09:05 AM
  #109  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 7,250
Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts
Re: Amazon's Kindle announcements today

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
The premium price for the 3G Kindle always seemed kind of dodgy. I don't really see the point of paying extra for 3G; I can't imagine absolutely having to buy a book from Amazon's kindle store at some moment when I'm not home or not near a wifi spot.

All of the Kindles I've used seem too clumsy to do any kind of meaningful web browsing, and the e-ink seems really only useful for mimicking paper.
I mostly agree with you. In fact, I'm strongly considering the cheap Kindle and I don't think I have much need for 3G.

However, the one "really-nice-to-have" argument for 3G on the Kindle is for whispersync. Since I also use the Kindle app on my phone, syncing my spot in a given book would be seamless and automatic with a 3G Kindle. With wi-fi only, I'd have to be more intentional about syncing - both to find wi-fi when away from home and to turn wi-fi on when I am home, since I'd probably leave it off most of the time to preserve battery.
Old 10-13-11, 03:01 PM
  #110  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SnogBox
Posts: 7,918
Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts
Re: Amazon's Kindle announcements today

I was just looking over the Fire page on Amazon - it doesn't appear to have access to your own video files. Or am I misreading something. Are there any Android/Amazon apps that can play back your own videos?
Old 10-13-11, 03:12 PM
  #111  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 7,250
Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts
Re: Amazon's Kindle announcements today

Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post
I was just looking over the Fire page on Amazon - it doesn't appear to have access to your own video files. Or am I misreading something. Are there any Android/Amazon apps that can play back your own videos?
What makes you say that it doesn't appear to have access to your own video files?

The supported file formats include MP4 and VP8, so presumably you can watch any of your own video files in those formats on the device with the stock video app. Additionally, media players such as DoubleTwist are available in the Amazon Appstore.
Old 11-11-11, 12:40 AM
  #112  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,349
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Amazon's Kindle announcements today

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20111109PD212.html

I guess pre-orders are doing pretty darn well for them to have 5 million devices made.
Old 11-11-11, 08:02 AM
  #113  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 78,532
Received 721 Likes on 514 Posts
Re: Amazon's Kindle announcements today

this is kind of what I was worried about with the Fire: http://phandroid.com/2011/11/11/kind...mputates-apis/
Old 11-11-11, 09:04 AM
  #114  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 13,397
Likes: 0
Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts
Re: Amazon's Kindle announcements today

Yeah, I cancelled my pre order and will just go iPad I think. Not that I'm a huge fan of the iPad but I like the size and the fact that the Fire is going to be a crippled Android is sort of a turnoff.
Old 11-11-11, 09:10 AM
  #115  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 7,250
Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts
Re: Amazon's Kindle announcements today

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
this is kind of what I was worried about with the Fire: http://phandroid.com/2011/11/11/kind...mputates-apis/
That's pretty vague. I would be interested to know more specifics, because I think we've known for awhile that this would be the case to some extent. Amazon's readily-available developer page for the Kindle Fire makes it pretty clear that some capability would not be available to developers. For example, any APIs that use sensors that don't exist on the Fire are presumably hidden. Additionally, Amazon states that things like GMS and manipulation of the UI (backgrounds, custom keyboards, etc) are off limits, so presumably those associated APIs are hidden as well.

None of this really worries me. If the Fire sells as much as it looks like it will, developers will figure out how to work with the limitations whenever it makes sense.
Old 11-11-11, 09:39 AM
  #116  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 19,201
Received 385 Likes on 283 Posts
Re: Amazon's Kindle announcements today

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
this is kind of what I was worried about with the Fire: http://phandroid.com/2011/11/11/kind...mputates-apis/
This really isn't surprising. The Kindle Fire has a unique front-end with likely some restrictions. However, looking at the developer FAQ, it doesn't look like there are many restrictions.

https://developer.amazon.com/help/fa...890#KindleFire
Will my app work on Kindle Fire?
For your app to work on Kindle Fire, it needs to be compatible with the device's specifications. At a high level, it must be optimized for non-Google Mobile Services (GMS) Android 2.3.4 (Gingerbread) and a 7" screen with a resolution of 1024 x 600. Your manifest should specify support for large screens. Your app cannot require a gyroscope, camera, WAN module, Bluetooth, microphone, GPS, or micro-SD to function. In addition, your app must not be a theme or wallpaper that manipulates the user interface of the device. As with any other app submission to the Amazon Appstore for Android, your app will also need to comply with our Content Guidelines...

My app requires access to Google Mobile Services. Will it work on Kindle Fire?
Apps that run on Kindle Fire do not currently have access to Google Mobile Services (GMS). If your app currently requires access to GMS apps or services, we recommend that you either remove the features that require these services or modify them to degrade gracefully when invoked (e.g. with an error message such as "This feature is not currently available on this device").

My app uses Google's in-app purchasing technology. How can I make it work on Kindle Fire?
Because Google's in-app purchasing technology requires access to Google Mobile Services, it will not work on Kindle Fire. We are working on a solution that will let you sell digital content in your apps using Amazon's merchandising and payments technology...

Does Kindle Fire have an SD card?
Kindle Fire has an internal SD card that your application can write to. Kindle Fire's SD card is internal and is not removable. You should not have to change your app for Kindle Fire if it currently stores data on the SD card.
So, aside from the hardware restrictions of the device itself, the only other restrictions are no "theme or wallpaper that manipulates the user interface," and no use of Google Mobile Services (GMS), because they're not on the device.
Old 11-11-11, 10:00 AM
  #117  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,349
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Amazon's Kindle announcements today

Yeah, for me I don't see the issue. I already knew I wouldn't be able to run every single app, only whatever was available on the Amazon App store anyway. Whats available on there currently is enough to entice me for a purchase.
Old 11-11-11, 10:54 AM
  #118  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 7,250
Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts
Re: Amazon's Kindle announcements today

The initial lineup for Kindle Fire apps is looking pretty good so far with the latest announcements (Netflix, Hulu Plus, ESPN Scorecenter, Facebook, etc):

http://mashable.com/2011/11/11/kindle-fire-hulu-plus/

I will be curious to see how optimized some of them are for the Fire specifically.
Old 11-11-11, 04:32 PM
  #119  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 6,969
Received 520 Likes on 419 Posts
Re: Amazon's Kindle announcements today

Don't worry. I'm certain the Fire will be able to be jailbroken thereby uncripped within the first week... A simple cracked firmware update will make it possible to run every Android app out there, AND enable universal website access as well. Believe me, it will be well worth the time invested to turn this $200 tablet into a major player.
Old 11-11-11, 05:22 PM
  #120  
DVD Talk Legend
 
joeblow69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Palm Springs
Posts: 10,806
Received 114 Likes on 65 Posts
Re: Amazon's Kindle announcements today

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Don't worry. I'm certain the Fire will be able to be jailbroken thereby uncripped within the first week... A simple cracked firmware update will make it possible to run every Android app out there, AND enable universal website access as well. Believe me, it will be well worth the time invested to turn this $200 tablet into a major player.
I don't think we can assume that yet. If amazon decides to encrypt their firmware, then it could take considerably more time to unlock. Amazon has a vested interest in keeping their ecosystem locked. They are selling it at a loss because they want you to use their apps to buy movies, tv shows, songs, books ... etc. You jailbreak it, and load the android market, then you don't need amazon at all, and then you are just costing them money.
Old 11-11-11, 06:23 PM
  #121  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 7,250
Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts
Re: Amazon's Kindle announcements today

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
I don't think we can assume that yet. If amazon decides to encrypt their firmware, then it could take considerably more time to unlock. Amazon has a vested interest in keeping their ecosystem locked. They are selling it at a loss because they want you to use their apps to buy movies, tv shows, songs, books ... etc. You jailbreak it, and load the android market, then you don't need amazon at all, and then you are just costing them money.
And the bigger question is, why would those who want to root a cheap tablet and run any Android app choose the Kindle Fire above other options? Frankly, there are more compelling hardware packages out there in the same price range, such as the Lenovo A1. With the Lenovo, you definitely take a hit with the processor, but you gain many of the sensors that the Fire hardware is missing. Even the existing Nook Color is arguably a more compelling option given the price drop to $200, the SD card slot, and the fact that there are already outstanding OS builds for it.

The main draw of the Kindle Fire isn't really the hardware, which seems pretty average (and in some cases below average - *cough* on-board storage *cough*). It's the $200 price, the simplicity of their OS-skin, and the tight integration with the Amazon cloud infrastructure that are appealing. You lose two of the main draws of the Kindle Fire if you root and install stock Android and the third draw (price) is already matched by other rootable tablets with similar hardware specs.
Old 11-11-11, 07:37 PM
  #122  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,349
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Amazon's Kindle announcements today

A lot of people will want to hack it just for the sake of doing so. It's fun for a lot of people, even if there's better hardware out there.

Personally, after messing around with both my Android phone and a Viewsonic GTablet with custom roms, I'm happy using the Kindle as is. I already have plenty of free apps and games in the AppStore with stuff like Plants versus Zombies and Cut the Rope, and as a Prime member I think i'll have enough streaming and kindle book options as is.
Old 11-12-11, 07:27 AM
  #123  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Lakeville, MN
Posts: 3,070
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amazon's Kindle announcements today

I'm really excited for my KF, and the thought of using it like it's designed for. As an existing Amazon Prime customer, I'm stoked about the streaming video library and the Kindle Library.

HOWEVER, what I really want is to see someone *cough*XDA*cough* get this thing unlocked and rooted and get a dual boot option so when I turn it on, I can boot into "Kindle OS" or "ICS".

Best of both worlds.
Old 11-12-11, 08:08 AM
  #124  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 61,694
Received 635 Likes on 445 Posts
Re: Amazon's Kindle announcements today

So when do demo units hit Best Buy?
Old 11-12-11, 12:08 PM
  #125  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 7,250
Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts
Re: Amazon's Kindle announcements today

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
So when do demo units hit Best Buy?
I'm assuming they'll be there Tuesday.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.