Reload this Page >

Amazon's Kindle announcements today

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Amazon's Kindle announcements today

Old 09-28-11, 04:43 PM

Received 146 Likes on 104 Posts
Re: Amazon's Kindle announcements today

Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post
How does the weight of the new touch screen model compare with the previous model? I know the bezel is smaller, and the keyboard is gone, but some of the pictures make it look thicker.
The new touch is shorter, slightly thicker and lighter.

LAST GEN
Dimensions - 7.5" x 4.8" x 0.34"
Weight - 8.5 ounces (wifi) 8.7 ounces (3G)

NEW TOUCH
Dimensions - 6.8" x 4.7" x 0.40"
Weight - 7.5 ounces (wifi) 7.8 ounces (3G)

If you go to the Amazon page for any of the new Kindles, scroll down and there's a Compare Kindles section.
Old 09-28-11, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those of you who have a Kindle with a keyboard, what exactly do you use it for?

added: Well crap, I just found out I can't even order the sponsored Kindle. Being from Canuckistan, I have to get the full priced one...hmmm...

Last edited by solipsta; 09-28-11 at 06:37 PM.
Old 09-28-11, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by solipsta View Post
For those of you who have a Kindle with a keyboard, what exactly do you use it for?
games

also, while I rarely use the web browser, sometimes, it's nice to look something up in wikipedia while reading a book to learn more about something. that's not necessary when i'm near my computer or my phone.
Old 09-28-11, 07:14 PM
Banned by request

To search for books, to organize them into lists for easier viewing, also for looking things up.
Old 09-28-11, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll probably pick up a Kindle Touch for my wife as she's been begging me for an e-reader, but wanted one that she could check out books from our public library with. Now that our library district supports the Kindle, this may be the way to go.

For those that already own Kindles, how intrusive are the Special Offers if I opt to save $40? Or should I just spend the extra $40 and get the non-Special Offers one?
Old 09-28-11, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

We have two Kindle 3Gs, an iPad2, a number of laptops and a Mac in our house and my wife preordered a Kindle Fire. This device looks pretty good for the money. That's a nice display for $200 and the processor's not bad. i do think it's best selling point is as a gateway to Amazon services, which seem compelling to me.

The two issues for me hardware-wise are the paltry storage and lack of HDMI out. If this could serve as a gateway to Amazon streaming to my home theater, that would be nice... no dice. Also, 8Gb of storage is a bit ridiculous these days for a media consumption device. My phone came with a free card in it with that much last year. IMO, 32 is the absolute minimum these days for a tablet, pushing towards 64.
Old 09-28-11, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Too bad I just bought my Kindle 3 a little over a month ago. I'd like one of the new Wi-fi versions, since I don't use the keyboard.
Old 09-28-11, 09:19 PM

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mndtrp View Post
Too bad I just bought my Kindle 3 a little over a month ago. I'd like one of the new Wi-fi versions, since I don't use the keyboard.
You could always sell it on Craigslist. But make sure you do the transaction inside a bank under the watchful eye of a teller!
Old 09-28-11, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm really interested in it, even though I know I don't really need another tablet after my ViewSonic GTablet is just collecting dust.

I imagine there would be a ton of great roms and hacks for this thing, and even stock it would come in handy for me as a Prime subscriber and already having a ton of the free Amazon AppStore apps.
Old 09-28-11, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

While the price is very attractive at first glance, in the end, no thanks.

Besides using a highly custom-skinned version of a very old version of Android, the fact the Kindle Fire close to locks up down to Amazon's own online media services, requires faster Wi-Fi access to be really useful and limits you to only 8 GB of on-device storage could make it obsolete before its time.

There's a reason why I like my iPad 2 32 GB Wi-Fi--I don't need Wi-Fi access with much of the media (e-books, music, and videos) already stored on the device.
Old 09-28-11, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by RayChuang View Post
Besides using a highly custom-skinned version of a very old version of Android, the fact the Kindle Fire close to locks up down to Amazon's own online media services, requires faster Wi-Fi access to be really useful and limits you to only 8 GB of on-device storage could make it obsolete before its time.
By most accounts, the "highly custom-skinned OS" offers a user experience that is superior to stock Android. On the one hand, it seems there may be a risk of next-year's apps developed for Ice Cream Sandwich not being compatible with the Fire. On the other hand, if the Fire becomes by far the most ubiquitous Android tablet, you will probably see developers making apps with Fire-compatibility in mind (or even optimized specifically for it). It does not appear that the Fire locks you down to Amazon's own online media services any more than the iPad does to Apple's (based on what we know thus far). I'm with you on the 8GB of on-device storage though. I understand why Amazon made that decision, but they either should have gone with 16GB or 8GB plus an SD card slot.

There's a reason why I like my iPad 2 32 GB Wi-Fi--I don't need Wi-Fi access with much of the media (e-books, music, and videos) already stored on the device.
Well, there's a cost/value proposition there. Your iPad 2 retails for $400 more than the Fire. While $400 may be a reasonable cost to you for the ability to store a lot more media locally, for many potential tablet consumers it probably isn't. Amazon is clearly targeting this tablet at the "coffee table" user who just wants to primarily surf the web, play a few games and consume some media at home. I suspect Amazon will find that there are a lot of those kinds of users that are happy to pay $199.

The biggest omissions, in my opinion are:
-- No SD card slot
-- No Bluetooth (for something marketed as a media consumption device, the ability to pair with Bluetooth speakers or bluetooth-enabled receivers would be nice)
-- No HDMI-out (as someone else already pointed out)

That said, at $199 it's hard to complain too much about those omissions.
Old 09-29-11, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 193 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank View Post
Well, there's a cost/value proposition there. Your iPad 2 retails for $400 more than the Fire. While $400 may be a reasonable cost to you for the ability to store a lot more media locally, for many potential tablet consumers it probably isn't. Amazon is clearly targeting this tablet at the "coffee table" user who just wants to primarily surf the web, play a few games and consume some media at home. I suspect Amazon will find that there are a lot of those kinds of users that are happy to pay $199.
Precisely. I went to Best Buy last week to buy an iPad 2 and walked out empty handed. It's just a big iPhone with access to more apps. I have an iPhone. I wanted something bigger than the iPhone to read on and surf the web while watching TV, carry around the house. I just couldn't justify it for the price for what I wanted to use it for, now if that $600 bought me more features like ports, or even Flash, then I'd be typing this from my iPad right now. Instead I ordered a MacBook Air (best of both worlds being lightweight and a full fledged laptop), to replace a Dell, and now am tempted to get the Fire just for light surfing/reading. The price is crazy.

The Fire is going to be a beast this Christmas. After the recent $100-$150 HP Touchpad craze and no new iPad on the horizon, I absolutely think Amazon has knocked it out of the park.
Old 09-29-11, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
I don't understand the love affair with touchscreen e-ink. I had one touchscreen e-reader (a Sony) and the glare was horrendous, the clarity of the text diminished, and I had smudges on the screen from all the touching. I'm guessing the first two concerns have been addressed by now, but I don't see how the third can be. I'm perfectly happy with the Kindle 3 (or Kindle keyboard) and won't be upgrading to any of these.
I'm perfectly happy with real books and an iPad.
Old 09-29-11, 09:14 AM

Android's tablet OS (Honeycomb) seems to be universally unpopular (especially when compared with the iPad). I haven't seen enough of Amazon's Kindle OS but I suspect it has a good chance of being better than Android tablets already on the market.
Old 09-29-11, 10:04 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
I'm perfectly happy with real books and an iPad.
I don't have enough space for all the books I want to read. An e-ink reader is the perfect solution for me. I use the iPad for a lot, but not for reading books.
Old 09-29-11, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
We have two Kindle 3Gs, an iPad2, a number of laptops and a Mac in our house and my wife preordered a Kindle Fire.
Oh my. Why so many different forms of media? What made the Kindle Fire a must purchase for your wife seeing that you had an iPad2 already?
Old 09-29-11, 11:22 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 213 Likes on 152 Posts

Highly unlikely, but it would be awesome if Amazon offered a trade-in program. Send them your physical books (which they'd donate to libraries, schools, or something) and get a voucher for the same title as an eBook. If they don't have that title, then you get $1 or $2 per book put onto an amazon.com gift card.

It would never happen (I imagine shipping books can get expensive, not to mention any other logistical problems with donating the books to libraries or schools), but I have a few dozen books that I'd send in if I could, just to free up the shelf space.
Old 09-29-11, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Holydoc View Post
Oh my. Why so many different forms of media? What made the Kindle Fire a must purchase for your wife seeing that you had an iPad2 already?
Eh, why not. It's $200. I've made worse decisions.
Old 09-29-11, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
The two issues for me hardware-wise are the paltry storage and lack of HDMI out. If this could serve as a gateway to Amazon streaming to my home theater, that would be nice... no dice. Also, 8Gb of storage is a bit ridiculous these days for a media consumption device. My phone came with a free card in it with that much last year. IMO, 32 is the absolute minimum these days for a tablet, pushing towards 64.
How much can you really expect for $200? These are not subsidized by a cell phone contract.

Last edited by orangecrush; 09-29-11 at 03:26 PM.
Old 09-29-11, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So I went ahead and pre ordered a Fire, then much to my surprise my wife said I should just get an iPad. I just don't know if it's worth the price for my purposes though. I just want to be able to stream some movies, maybe read some comics or magazines. The iPad price is just such a hard pill to swallow.
Old 09-29-11, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
So I went ahead and pre ordered a Fire, then much to my surprise my wife said I should just get an iPad. I just don't know if it's worth the price for my purposes though. I just want to be able to stream some movies, maybe read some comics or magazines. The iPad price is just such a hard pill to swallow.
I believe you can get a refurbed ipad 1 for around $300.
Old 09-29-11, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i want this for camping. put a few movies and cds on it for those times when we get stuck in the tent for a few hours due to rain. or just if i feel like chilling out in the tent for an hour or 2 before bed i can watch something. 8gb is enough for me.
Old 09-29-11, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by orangecrush View Post
I believe you can get a refurbed ipad 1 for around $300.
$350 last i saw. so thats almost 2 fires for the price of one ipad.
Old 09-29-11, 04:40 PM

If the the wifi iPad 2 were priced competitively ($200-$250) I'd probably have them all over the house. Of course, Apple is in a good position right now where they don't need to price their tablets competitively.
Old 09-29-11, 05:33 PM

Received 146 Likes on 104 Posts

Any info on apps for Netflix, Hulu and other streaming services? Or do they only want you using Amazon VOD?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.