Reload this Page >

Amazon's Kindle announcements today

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Amazon's Kindle announcements today

Old 09-28-11, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Amazon's Kindle announcements today

Might get the ad version of the Kindle touch. For $99, it's just right. I've been using the iPad as my e-reader and it does strain my eyes after sometime and you really can't read in the sun.
Old 09-28-11, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome product. The kindle to iPad ratio on the NYC subway is like 10 to 1. Amazon sold out of the original kindle when they sold for $399.

The specs people don't get it but for $199 this is a killer product for anyone who wants a tablet but doesn't want to pay $500.
Old 09-28-11, 12:06 PM
Banned by request

I don't understand the love affair with touchscreen e-ink. I had one touchscreen e-reader (a Sony) and the glare was horrendous, the clarity of the text diminished, and I had smudges on the screen from all the touching. I'm guessing the first two concerns have been addressed by now, but I don't see how the third can be. I'm perfectly happy with the Kindle 3 (or Kindle keyboard) and won't be upgrading to any of these.
Old 09-28-11, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
Beat her ass 1 and 2. The best apps in the android market
Did a quick Google search, and it looks like they've been taken off the Android market?
Old 09-28-11, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
I don't understand the love affair with touchscreen e-ink.
I was refusing to buy a Kindle because of the stupid keyboard. That more than touchscreen is what attracts me to the new models -- I guess I'll wait for reviews to see whether to get the eInk touchscreen or non-touchscreen version. No ads for me.

As for the $199 Kindle Fire, I'd imagine that Android tablet makers along with RIM's Playbook team are speed-dialing Dr. Kevorkian right about now.
Old 09-28-11, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dugan View Post
Did a quick Google search, and it looks like they've been taken off the Android market?

Looks like it

It Was pics of chicks in thongs bending over and you slap her ass in the right combination
Old 09-28-11, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SomethingMore View Post
Not sure how I feel about that. I haven't used one "with ads" so I don't know how intrusive they can be.
They are not intrusive at all. Just the screensaver and a banner at the bottom of my home page. You don't see any while you are actually reading. IMO totally worth it.
Old 09-28-11, 12:53 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Ted Todorov View Post
I was refusing to buy a Kindle because of the stupid keyboard. That more than touchscreen is what attracts me to the new models -- I guess I'll wait for reviews to see whether to get the eInk touchscreen or non-touchscreen version. No ads for me.

As for the $199 Kindle Fire, I'd imagine that Android tablet makers along with RIM's Playbook team are speed-dialing Dr. Kevorkian right about now.
The stupid, incredibly useful keyboard? You'd rather buy a non-touchscreen version with a virtual keyboard that you have to thumb the center hub around to type on?
Old 09-28-11, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 124 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by madcougar View Post
It's weird, but the new white iPad 2 seems smaller than the original black iPad.
It is smaller. They reduced the bezel size and made it thinner. The screen size is the same though.
Old 09-28-11, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
It is smaller. They reduced the bezel size and made it thinner. The screen size is the same though.
Hmmmm...
Old 09-28-11, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Sounds pretty cool. But between my laptop and my 3rd gen Kindle, I can't see a use for a tablet for me.
Old 09-28-11, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
The stupid, incredibly useful keyboard? You'd rather buy a non-touchscreen version with a virtual keyboard that you have to thumb the center hub around to type on?
I don't type while reading books. To me the keyboard is utterly useless. I never type in the iPad's Kindle app.

I can use Safari (on iPad or Mac) to browse/buy books, the the Kindle will synch.

But I would rather get the touchscreen version, if it doesn't have the problems you site. Didn't B&N come out with a touch screen, eInk Nook that has none of the Sony problems?
Old 09-28-11, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Raul3 View Post
They say you don't need a computer, but I wonder if they will allow you to transfer media from your PC to your tablet. I will be really surprised if there isn't an option for that.
I'm seeing reports that the Fire will have a USB port.
Old 09-28-11, 01:24 PM
Banned by request

I don't type while reading books. To me the keyboard is utterly useless. I never type in the iPad's Kindle app.

I can use Safari (on iPad or Mac) to browse/buy books, the the Kindle will synch.

But I would rather get the touchscreen version, if it doesn't have the problems you site. Didn't B&N come out with a touch screen, eInk Nook that has none of the Sony problems?
I don't know about the Nook, never been interested in them.
Old 09-28-11, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Nook addressed all but the Last. Since, Sony has announced a model that addresses all but the last as well.
Old 09-28-11, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Except amazon has better content including their video library
Old 09-28-11, 01:59 PM

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
Except amazon has better content including their video library
Can't wait to watch videos on the new touchscreen e-ink Kindle!!
Old 09-28-11, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They have telephones that can speak to the dead now?
Old 09-28-11, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Loc Nar View Post
I'm seeing reports that the Fire will have a USB port.
It has an USB 2.0 (micro-B connector).
Old 09-28-11, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

A lot of people have been happy with the ad models as Amazon has been using them to distribute coupon codes for specific products and services (% of TVs, laptops, etc). There was a frenzy when the last code for laptops could be used for new MacBook Airs.
Old 09-28-11, 03:47 PM

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Raul3 View Post
It has an USB 2.0 (micro-B connector).
Fuck that shit. You'd think Amazon would have learned their lesson by now and switched over to Mini-A.
Old 09-28-11, 03:53 PM

Received 146 Likes on 104 Posts

Pre-ordered both the Fire and Touch. I'll end up canceling one, but I can't decide which. Fire looks great and I like the extra features. But it's twice as heavy, only has 8 hours of battery life and no e-ink screen.
Old 09-28-11, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
Pre-ordered both the Fire and Touch. I'll end up canceling one, but I can't decide which. Fire looks great and I like the extra features. But it's twice as heavy, only has 8 hours of battery life and no e-ink screen.
The eInk screen is superior for daytime outdoor reading. A good LED screen (like the iPad) is superior for indoor and nighttime reading in or out. Assuming the Fire screen to be as good, you need to figure out what kind of use scenario you are likeliest to have.

I have found evening outdoor reading on my iPad to be an amazing experience I never had with books in the past. OTOH, I look forward to an eInk Kindle for the beach.
Old 09-28-11, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

How does the weight of the new touch screen model compare with the previous model? I know the bezel is smaller, and the keyboard is gone, but some of the pictures make it look thicker.

I saw the VP hint at a larger Fire, but I wonder if there will be a touch replacement for the DX.

Last edited by Superman07; 09-28-11 at 04:12 PM.
Old 09-28-11, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Color me impressed with the price point of the Fire. It's hard for me to justify a tablet at $500, but a somewhat stripped-down tablet that still has the core features I'd use most for $200 is very enticing. I'd be curious to see a tear-down to know how much of a loss Amazon is taking. It doesn't sound like they incurred hardly an hardware R&D cost, so I'm sure that helped them hit this price point.

The Amazon Silk technology sounds interesting. I wonder if it will result in an appreciable difference in web browsing speed on wi-fi or if it's just some techno-babble to use as a selling point.

The battery life gives me pause. I'll be curious to see what reviews report about it with wi-fi enabled doing heavy browsing.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.