Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Laptop Oddities: Left Click is Right Click and does not shut down properly- hardware?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Laptop Oddities: Left Click is Right Click and does not shut down properly- hardware?

Old 09-13-11, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hi All,

I have a Lenovo Ideapad U350 laptop running Windows 7 Home Pro with all of the latest service packs and updates. I also have installed all of the latest drivers from Lenovo including BIOS, Mouse, etc.

There are two issues:

1) On the laptop's trackpad, the left click acts like a right click and the right click does not work.

2) The laptop does not shut down properly, when I choose shut down, it restarts. When I select restart it restarts.

Here's what I've done to date to trouble shoot:

- I've updated every single software drivers, patches, etc for the mouse and any other drivers available on the Lenovo website

- control panel / device manager says the mouse is working properly

- Ran virus checker/malware cleaner successfully

- Tried an external mouse - this works just fine, although the left click does not work on Google Chrome tabs until I click the right click button on the external mouse. There is also an issue with the internal trackpad on Google Chrome tabs except clicking on the tabs does not work at all.

- I have installed a new hard drive and did a fresh install of windows 7. Interestingly the issue STILL HAPPENS on a fresh install therefore I swapped the hard drive again back to the original state. Oddly, the trackpad mouse works fine during the setup stage of windows 7 but once it boots up to the windows post setup the mouse doesn't work again!

- The fresh install of windows 7 also has the shutdown problem as well!

This leads me to believe this may be a hardware issue instead? Are there any other settings to try? I'm not sure of the cause of this issue - nothing new was installed, however, water was spilled on the bottom of the laptop (not on the keyboard) It's dry now but not sure if that could have affected this?

Your help is appreciated!

Thanks
Old 09-14-11, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Laptop Oddities: Left Click is Right Click and does not shut down properly- hardw

anyone? also putting the laptop to sleep turns the screen black but does not shut down the machine - I can't wake the laptop back up so have to restart. Any suggestions appreciated
Old 09-15-11, 04:14 PM
lxl

Re: Laptop Oddities: Left Click is Right Click and does not shut down properly- hardw

Get a live CD (ubuntu or WinPE), boot from it and see if you have same problem.