Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Hulu is for sale

Old 09-07-11, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hulu is for sale

One comment at maxpc - "goolu"
Looks like Google will get hulu - wonder if that means hulu can get new movies from youtube rentals but with ads.
Google Bids High For Hulu

First Posted: 9/7/11 09:27 AM ET Updated: 9/7/11 09:27 AM ET

Hulu's corporate owners are currently mulling bids from three would-be buyers: Amazon, Yahoo, and the Dish Network.

And then there's Google. The search giant has also made an offer for the video site, but it seems to be playing a different sport than the rest of its peers: Rather than bid on what Hulu's owners have offered for sale, Google has proposed a different acquisition, on a larger scale, say people familiar with the sales process.

Hulu, the entertainment portal which is also the biggest online video advertising platform, having served nearly one billion ads last month, provides double the return to advertisers, compared to television.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_951918.html
Old 09-07-11, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Hulu is for sale

having served nearly one billion ads last month, provides double the return to advertisers, compared to television
I read an article a little while ago that said that online advertising beats every other form of media by a country mile when it comes to ROI.
Old 09-07-11, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Somehow I doubt Yahoo is in the running anymore. Fired their CEO and are rumored to be up for sale. I really do think this is Google's to lose here.
Old 09-07-11, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I feel like we had a brief window where all this streaming stuff seemed like it was actually going to happen in a good way and we're going to fall back really quickly on something extremely half-assed.
Old 09-08-11, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think there is enough bandwidth for everyone to stream hd at the same time. TCP/IP is not very efficient for streaming
Old 09-08-11, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
I don't think there is enough bandwidth for everyone to stream hd at the same time. TCP/IP is not very efficient for streaming
Plus all the corporations are getting greedy, per the norm...
Old 09-28-11, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
Well, don't you think it's possible that it could be made more efficient later on?

I finally discovered how on-demand works with my cable box. I did look at it a bit when I first got cable back but was too lazy to look around - I have free on-demand for ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS, USA, AMC, SYFY, BBCA... (except the CW ). Really awesome stuff. Cable companies definitely need to keep pushing this to compete with streaming - make the boxes (and add. boxes) cheaper to have.

OK, anyway, here's an update:
Several tech giants placed bids including Google, Amazon, Yahoo, and Dish Network. Huluís owners are now mulling the offers, but Dish is in the lead.

Dish Network placed the highest bid, $1.9 billion, that didnít include any changes to the terms. Google went much higher and offered about $4 billion, but asked for an extension to the content license deals, as well as more content. Dish is apparently willing to risk more in this respect because it is also interested in Huluís back end technology.

Huluís owners are reportedly displeased with the offers, but itís not really surprising. Itís fairly obvious that Hulu will continue moving more toward a paid-only service. When the current content licenses run out, the new owner is going to have to cut a new deal, and it might not be very favorable.
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/new...ly_wont_refuse
Old 09-28-11, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thing is, most people would be ok with a paid service if it was worth it... The current Hulu Plus is fairly inexpensive, but its not even worth the small price a month because it sucks. Its really not that hard. Offer good service, people will pay it.
Old 09-28-11, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hulu is owned by the networks and I don't know why they want to sell out. Just run it like a not for profit industry consortium to sell content outside the cable operators
Old 09-28-11, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom View Post
Thing is, most people would be ok with a paid service if it was worth it... The current Hulu Plus is fairly inexpensive, but its not even worth the small price a month because it sucks. Its really not that hard. Offer good service, people will pay it.
Paying for forced advertisements equals and horrible product IMO.
Old 09-29-11, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom View Post
If you're a foreign film buff it's worth it for the Criterion Collection. Other than that I would never have gotten it.
Old 09-29-11, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
If you're a foreign film buff it's worth it for the Criterion Collection. Other than that I would never have gotten it.
I've heard that Criterion movies on Hulu don't have commercials. Is that true? Are there commercials on the non-Criterion movies?
Old 09-29-11, 08:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
I've heard that Criterion movies on Hulu don't have commercials. Is that true? Are there commercials on the non-Criterion movies?
I dunno about the CC movies but on the non CC we get commercials.
Old 09-29-11, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
I've heard that Criterion movies on Hulu don't have commercials. Is that true?
I have watched at least half a dozen through my Roku, and none of them have had commercials during the film.
Old 09-29-11, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Google has more money than god. Maybe they are seeing who buys Hulu so they can buy THAT company. 2 birds 1 stone sort of thing.
Old 09-30-11, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Hulu is worthless without some guarantee that the current contracts will be extended at similar terms