Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Question on Charter wireless: A limit of 5 devices?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-05-11, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm about to move to a different town to a new apartment, and I'm going to be stuck with Charter for just about everything. I just noticed that in the wireless description it says that it supports up to 5 devices. What in the world does that mean exactly? In the apartment there will be two laptops, two Touchpads, two iPhones, four video game consoles, and then a Blu-ray player and wirelessly connected HDTV.

Seeing that little detail worries me. Surely they don't cap you on only being able to have 5 devices connected in your own wireless network. Do any of you guys know what this is all about?
Old 09-05-11, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Question on Charter wireless: A limit of 5 devices?

is this what you are talking about? i don't think there's a way for them to limit the number of devices?

also, it says wep or wpa, yet no wpa2? it says it has "n" capability, quite odd that it isn't wpa2.

http://www.myaccount.charter.com/cus...articleid=2077
Old 09-05-11, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, that's it.

Can't I just buy a router myself no matter what and do all of that myself instead of having one of their nuts come in and set it up? I don't get that at all.
Old 09-05-11, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, it sounds like that's just a service they offer for those that don't know how to set all that up. It's probably one of those things that it's easy for us geeks to say "why would anyone pay for that?" but it's useful to more people than we realize.
Old 09-05-11, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok, that's what I was hoping for. I read that and though...no freakin' way. I believe if you get a router through them you have to "rent" it each month. Why in the world someone would do that instead of just going to buy one and flat out owning it is beyond me, even if you don't know how to set things like that up. I'd think you'd at least try to figure it out.
Old 09-06-11, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i have twc rr and they give you a free basic modem, if you want a wifi router, you have to pay $5/mo. doesn't make much sense since i bought a wifi router for only $7, but hey, it's easy money (for them). if your cable company doesn't supply the modem, you can buy a nice motorola modem with wifi router for under $100.
Old 09-06-11, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have Charter internet service (though it is through Charter Business). They provided the cable modem (no charge) and I have my own wireless router set up entirely by me. There is no Charter-dictated limit on the number of devices connected.

A word of warning - if you can avoid ever dealing with Charter Customer Service, do so at all costs. They are possibly the worst company I've ever dealt with. The only reason I still have them for broadband is because my employer set up the account when I was working from home.
Old 09-06-11, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What would be a solid router for a 1k square foot apartment? I have had the same one where I am now for years, and I'd like to get a new one for the new place.
Old 09-06-11, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk God

I have one similar to this Netgear one (it's the model below it) and it's been an absolute dream: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/NETGEAR+...&skuId=9826302

Best router I've owned in the past 10 years.
Old 09-14-11, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kefrank View Post
I have Charter internet service (though it is through Charter Business). They provided the cable modem (no charge) and I have my own wireless router set up entirely by me. There is no Charter-dictated limit on the number of devices connected.

A word of warning - if you can avoid ever dealing with Charter Customer Service, do so at all costs. They are possibly the worst company I've ever dealt with. The only reason I still have them for broadband is because my employer set up the account when I was working from home.
Charter's customer service is truly epic levels of terrible. I got fed up with them and went to Uverse now that we live in the city.

My new Uverse connection was having drop outs (youtube videos stopped playing, video breakups, mega intermittent lag spikes during games). But the customer service is actually decent, and after 3 tech visits, they squared away all of the problems (one of which was that I had inadvertently had used some RJ59 coax to the TV). And I didn't want to strangle the outsourced customer service rep on the other end of the chat even once!
Old 09-15-11, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok guys, I've decided to get my own modem to use for my Charter cable internet. I just want to try to get all of this sorted out so I can get it set up quickly as soon as I move in. The speed I'm going with is 12Mbps, but I may upgrade that to 18Mbps if I decide it would work out better for me. I already went ahead and bought this router:

http://www.staples.com/Netgear-N300-...product_853556

And now I'm trying to decide on a good modem that will be compatible with it. Would either of these do the job? What are the positives and negatives for either one?

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-SURFb.../dp/B002M3SHXA

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-SB612.../dp/B001UI2FPE

I know next to nothing about which would be best, so I really need help on this one. I'm not about to pay $7 a month for no reason. If either of those aren't what I need just let me know what I need to put my hands on that will be compatible with the router I already picked up and will give me solid performance. Thanks guys!