Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Splitting cable modem/ethernet to 2 computers

Old 09-03-11, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Splitting cable modem/ethernet to 2 computers

Hopefully i am explaining this correctly.

Have a cable modem which then connects to computer with Ethernet line. I want to split the connection coming out of the modem so i can plug in two computers. The comps will not be on at the same time, i just think plugging and unplugging the connection as i change comps will eventually break something plastic on the Ethernet line. This way i can also run a dedicated Ethernet line under carpet so no one trips over the line connecting to the farther machine.

Reading stuff, it seems i cannot do what i would with a cable line and get a "splitter" of some sort and they are talking about 4 lines and 8 lines and my head exploded.

I just want 2 Ethernet lines to be able to be plugged into the cable modem.
Old 09-03-11, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Splitting cable modem/ethernet to 2 computers

Buy a router.
Old 09-03-11, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Like he said, buy a router.

Cable plugs into your modem. The cable modem will plug into the router with an ethernet cable. You will then plug your two computers into available ports on the router with separate ethernet cables.
Old 09-03-11, 05:19 PM

If you're only going to use 1 computer at a time, I believe you can use an ethernet switch. I'm not 100% on that. It's basically just a splitter.

I recently bought the TRENDnet 5-Port Ethernet Switch at Amazon ($14). I'm using it with my router to split connections to my game consoles. So it's a totally different situation than what you're planning to do. But for my needs, it's simple, cheap and works great.

http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Ether...dp/B000M2TAN4/

But I'm going to agree with others, you should get a router. So many devices require an internet connection these days. You might as well get a router now.

Amazon has a refurb Cisco/Linksys E1000 for $23. I have a higher-end model (WRT610N), but that should be a good entry-level router. Plus it gives you WiFi which is nice.

http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Refurbis...dp/B003VYEYE0/

Years ago, I found router set-up very confusing. These days, the software included with a Linksys router makes it pretty easy. And you can find some good step-by-step videos on YouTube:

LINKSYS ROUTER SET-UP

LINKSYS E1000 REVIEW
Old 09-04-11, 06:30 PM

thanks to all. very helpful and informative.

After doing some reading, can i even use a router? i do not have wifi, or any kind of wireless internet, just the basic TW 10mbs thing. Doesn't a router require some sort of wireless internet? It seems on poor people broadband,i may only be able to use 'the TRENDnet 5-Port Ethernet Switch at Amazon ($14). "

Last edited by Ropes Pierre; 09-04-11 at 06:50 PM. Reason: more intel
Old 09-04-11, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The router would provide you with WiFi... get a router
Old 09-04-11, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre View Post
After doing some reading, can i even use a router? i do not have wifi, or any kind of wireless internet, just the basic TW 10mbs thing. Doesn't a router require some sort of wireless internet? It seems on poor people broadband,i may only be able to use 'the TRENDnet 5-Port Ethernet Switch at Amazon ($14). "
You're not on "poor people broadband". You have the same internet as the rest of us.

Right now you've got the cable wire plugged into the back of your modem and an ethernet wire running from the modem to your computer. With a router like I mentioned above, you'll still have the cable wire going to the back of your modem. But then the ethernet wire goes from the modem to the router.

The back of the router will have a couple outgoing slots. You'll use two of those outgoing slots to run ethernet wires to your two computers. The router will also create a WiFi signal so that any wireless devices within range can connect to the internet.

UPDATE - I also wanted to add, when you buy a router or switch, make sure you get some ethernet cables to go with it. If you're trying to connect 2 computers, you'll need 3 ethernet wires altogether. One goes from the cable modem to the router/switch and then one to each computer. You don't need a brand name wire, they're all the same. Just get the cheapest and make sure it's long enough.

Last edited by TheBigDave; 09-04-11 at 08:43 PM.
Old 09-04-11, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A router can provide just wired or both wired and wireless connections.

The router, itself, can enable your system to be wireless for the future, or now if you have a wireless capable computer to connect, while still providing for your wired connections at the moment.
Old 09-04-11, 08:41 PM
Premium Member

At a simple level, a router is a splitter (exactly like you are asking about).

It doesn't have to include wireless capability, but most of them do these days, they are cheap.

Welcome to the early 90s
Old 09-05-11, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
You're not on "poor people broadband". You have the same internet as the rest of us.

Right now you've got the cable wire plugged into the back of your modem and an ethernet wire running from the modem to your computer. With a router like I mentioned above, you'll still have the cable wire going to the back of your modem. But then the ethernet wire goes from the modem to the router.

The back of the router will have a couple outgoing slots. You'll use two of those outgoing slots to run ethernet wires to your two computers. The router will also create a WiFi signal so that any wireless devices within range can connect to the internet.

UPDATE - I also wanted to add, when you buy a router or switch, make sure you get some ethernet cables to go with it. If you're trying to connect 2 computers, you'll need 3 ethernet wires altogether. One goes from the cable modem to the router/switch and then one to each computer. You don't need a brand name wire, they're all the same. Just get the cheapest and make sure it's long enough.
This is my setup also. Have TW and have cable from modem going into a old linksys cable/dsl router. This one is not wireless though. I am thinking about getting one of the newer ones. On the back it has 4 ports. One port for my old Compaq desktop. Two of the ports have cat5 cables going out the wall to a my Mom's room next to mine and all the way downstairs to my brothers room. The last port is going to a 8 way gigabet (10/100/1000) switcher. Running of of this is a Plasma TV, Blu-ray player, WD-TV Live Media player, 2 more Desktop computers and sometimes a older Dell. I also use to have the hd-dvd player hooked up but not any more.
Old 09-05-11, 07:20 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Seems to me in your situation, with no wireless devices, you could go either router or switch. The advantage to a router is a hardware firewall which would be better than any software firewall you might be using now. If you're using a good software firewall on both computers you could use a 5-port ethernet switch, this is the one I'm using:

http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Linksys-EZXS55W-EtherFast-5-Port-Workgroup/dp/B00003006E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315224437&sr=8-1

With my setup, I'm using a 2-Wire Home Portal (combination modem/router/hardware firewall w/ AT&T DSL), running out to 2 Linksys 5-port switches (1 of them in my work area).

I MUCH prefer the hardware firewall in a router, it means I don't need to run software firewalls, so in that regard a router would probably be your best choice, although it can be a PITA to set up for the uninitiated novice. A switch is simple, just plug your cables in and go, no setup required, but you'll need good software firewalls on both computers if that is the route you take.

Just my humble opinion, -kd5-
Old 09-05-11, 07:27 PM

Is there anything i really need to know before i get a router? i am basically looking on amazon for something in the $25 range, not refurbished. i figure something in that price range should handle my needs until i learn more about this and how to use a router to its full potential.

thanks to all for educating me on this. Early 90's computing America, what a country!
Old 09-05-11, 08:19 PM

Is there anything i really need to know before i get a router? i am basically looking on amazon for something in the $25 range, not refurbished. i figure something in that price range should handle my needs until i learn more about this and how to use a router to its full potential
This is just based on my personal experience. I've only used Linksys routers, so I can't comment on other brands.

6-7 years ago I got my first router (Linksys WRT54G) and it was a headache to set-up. I upgraded to a Linksys WRT610N about a year ago, and the new Linksys software made everything fast and simple.

I've been very happy with Linksys. They seem to be well made. My original is still working fine. And it's a popular brand, so you can easily find help online.

Even if it cost an extra $20-$30, I'd recommend getting a Linksys. If you don't want a refurb, Amazon has the E1000 for $45. I'd also maybe look at the Cisco Valet line which seems to be very similar and has the same set-up software.

http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-E1000-Ci...dp/B003B48UNG/
http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-M10-Cisc...dp/B003B4AVRE/
Old 09-05-11, 09:17 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wouldn't cheap out on the router, you'll be sorry in the long run. Linksys is what I always recommend, it does cost a little more but it's worth it. If you decide on a router, you should plan on spending $50. -kd5-