Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Looking for a good Hard Drive Recovery Program

Old 09-02-11, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Looking for a good Hard Drive Recovery Program

Alright, I had a 2TB External Drive, I had it out on the kitchen counter because I was reinstalling windows on laptop and had just finished backing everything up to it when my young niece came running by and pulled the cord and yanking the Hard Drive to the Floor.

I removed the hard drive from the casing and plugged it into my main computer. It beeps when I first turn on the computer. The computer can tell its a Seagate HD thats it. I cant access it.

I know my chances are slim, but I was wondering if anyone knows if there is any program that works and that I could run to see if it possibly can recover anything thats on the Drive?

Thanks
Old 09-02-11, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Looking for a good Hard Drive Recovery Program

And all of your data was on it?! In other words, while you were reinstalling windows you had no backup at all. If you had only 1 copy then that cannot be considered a backup - at least not the way I count.

Sorry, hopefully you at least learned a lesson about backups.

Personally - I have 3 backups (OF ALL PHOTOS AND DATA) PLUS a cloud backup of all PHOTOS AND DATA.
Old 09-02-11, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by danwiz View Post
Personally - I have 3 backups (OF ALL PHOTOS AND DATA) PLUS a cloud backup of all PHOTOS AND DATA.
That's too excessive.

I have a 2TB Lacie with a backup image of my entire machine (via Time Machine) and various items backed up via MobileMe/iDisk. The odds of both my iMac and external hard drive failing at the same exact time are pretty slim, but I've seen issues where it's happened before (a co-worker had his MacBook Pro kernel panic as it was doing a Time Machine backup).

The only software I know of is Mac based, Data Rescue, and I've heard mixed reports based upon the condition of the HD. The only other option I know of is Drive Savers, but you're looking at about a $300-400 charge.
Old 09-02-11, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel View Post
That's too excessive.

The odds of both my iMac and external hard drive failing at the same exact time are pretty slim,

If you keep both devices in the same physical location, the odds are not slim.

Fire, flood, tornado, etc, etc

Your secondary backup should be in a physically different location than the first.

maingon - chances are recovery 'software' is not going to help a drive that was damaged physically in a fall. You most likely will cause more damage if you continue to run that drive.

If the data is say worth $1000 to you, stop running the drive now and contact a data recovery service with a clean room. A place like Ontrack, but if you have a local outfit similarly equipped they will be less expensive.
Old 09-03-11, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post

If you keep both devices in the same physical location, the odds are not slim.

Fire, flood, tornado, etc, etc

Your secondary backup should be in a physically different location than the first.
Yes, because in Las Vegas, we are prone to natural disasters. Where would you like me to put the second hard drive? Under lock and key in a Swiss bank account? Let it hang out at a friend's house?

Once iTunes Match launches in the fall, my need for an external hard drive pretty much becomes null in void as I can store all of my media right up in the cloud. Done.
Old 09-03-11, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Luckly I didnt have any major or that important on the hard drive. Most of it was stuff from the laptop that I have not been able to back up yet.

I'm more bummed cause its a brand new hard drive.
Old 09-03-11, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, because in Las Vegas, we are prone to natural disasters.
You are a 'can't happen to me' person, that's fine, odds are in your favor, but trust me, shit happens. If you have no data you care about, then don't worry. I have data I care about.

Where would you like me to put the second hard drive? Under lock and key in a Swiss bank account? Let it hang out at a friend's house?
Work is good enough for most people, it lowers the odds. If my house catches fire and burns down, chances are my office is still fine.

Once iTunes Match launches in the fall, my need for an external hard drive pretty much becomes null in void as I can store all of my media right up in the cloud. Done.
I don't give a shit about music, that is not what I am trying to backup.
Old 09-03-11, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by maingon View Post
Luckly I didnt have any major or that important on the hard drive. Most of it was stuff from the laptop that I have not been able to back up yet.

I'm more bummed cause its a brand new hard drive.
Your new drive has a warranty (unless you voided it by opening the case).
Old 09-03-11, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post
You are a 'can't happen to me' person, that's fine, odds are in your favor, but trust me, shit happens. If you have no data you care about, then don't worry. I have data I care about.

I don't give a shit about music, that is not what I am trying to backup.
My documents and photos are stored in a second location in the clouds.

My music will soon be stored in a second location in the clouds.

Meaning, if my house were to be burned down by a tornado during a flash flood, all my shit is up in the clouds.
Old 09-08-11, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's too excessive.
Saying "too excessive" is redundant, since "excessive," by definition, is too much. There's no such thing as a reasonable level of excessive.

Where would you like me to put the second hard drive? Under lock and key in a Swiss bank account? Let it hang out at a friend's house?
My documents and photos are stored in a second location in the clouds.

My music will soon be stored in a second location in the clouds.

Meaning, if my house were to be burned down by a tornado during a flash flood, all my shit [will be] up in the clouds.
I think there's a bit of miscommunication here. When you said that danwiz's backup plan was "too excessive," you apparently were referring to exclusively the extra physical backups (more than 1), instead of the philosophy of having multiple backups, and having at least one off site.