Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Steve Jobs resigns!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Steve Jobs resigns!

Old 08-30-11, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Steve Jobs resigns!

There were similarly unflattering photos of Jobs published this spring, with tabloids claiming he had 6 weeks to live. They all shut up when he did the WWDC keynote a couple of month later. Now that he resigned it gives the vultures the go ahead for another round. They'd better hope he doesn't show up at the iPhone 5 keynote.

The only stuff I've heard about Jobs' state that I consider worthwhile is that he resigned stating he could no longer perform the job of CEO and that he was well enough to spend that entire day of work at Apple, in meetings with colleagues and attending the board meeting that made Tim Cooke CEO. Everything else is pure speculation -- the photo, photoshopped or not, included. Clearly he is ill, otherwise he wouldn't have resigned, not for the reason given.

What's interesting is how the markets have reacted -- Apple's stock price is actually up since his resignation.
Old 08-30-11, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 112 Likes on 92 Posts

Not really, Tim has been doing strong work with Apple for some time, Steve is still on board. In essence, nothing has really changed. Furthermore, they picked the right guy to succeed Jobs and it promises stability for the company.

Plus Apple products are still flying off the shelf.

...and there was a minor sell-off of AAPL as soon as he announced his departure. It overcorrected.
Old 08-30-11, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Not really, Tim has been doing strong work with Apple for some time, Steve is still on board. In essence, nothing has really changed. Furthermore, they picked the right guy to succeed Jobs and it promises stability for the company.

Plus Apple products are still flying off the shelf.

...and there was a minor sell-off of AAPL as soon as he announced his departure. It overcorrected.
I agree with you 100%, but considering all the apocalyptic articles about Apple and its stock should Steve Jobs leave, all the absolute BS written about how Apple had to publish their succession plan, or didn't have a succession plan or… I was at least a tiny bit surprised about how much of a non event it was. I guess that by now, all but the least well informed investors figured out that Tim Cook has been running the company with great success for a while now.