Reload this Page >

Steve Jobs resigns!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Steve Jobs resigns!

Old 08-25-11, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Steve Jobs resigns!

I don't think this means Apple will change over night. If anything, I would expect the first non-Steve influences to appear in 18-24 months. No doubt they already have a lot of their projects in the pipeline ready to go. Even then I wouldn't be surprised if they have had strategy sessions before this even to discuss bigger pictures plans on where they envision the company and the technology to be in 3, 5, 7 years.
Old 08-25-11, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts

I don't think this will have much of an impact at all.

Sucks Jobs is in poor health though.
Old 08-25-11, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel bad for Jobs, I am sure this is health related and that sucks. Apple will have some rough years when he is gone.

I don't want to get the apple fan boys all fired up with this link, but oh well, here it goes (anti-apple fan boy flame suit on)

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/gadge...ctually-didn-t

Apple is pretty good at marketing though, I will give them that much. They have a large number of people thinking that they can't live without i-products and that is pretty impressive at the i-price tag.
Old 08-25-11, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post
I feel bad for Jobs, I am sure this is health related and that sucks. Apple will have some rough years when he is gone.

I don't want to get the apple fan boys all fired up with this link, but oh well, here it goes (anti-apple fan boy flame suit on)

Apple is pretty good at marketing though, I will give them that much. They have a large number of people thinking that they can't live without i-products and that is pretty impressive at the i-price tag.
I don't want to get bogged down, but isn't the fact that Apple generally perfects these things the ticket? They didn't create them per se, but they make them usable on such a large scale that I think credit is applied to them through a sort of collective subconsciousness.
Old 08-25-11, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

iQuit
Old 08-25-11, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post

Please tell us where we can buy equivalent products cheaper

I thought the gps in my inspire was bad but when I got a droid from my employer it was even worse
Old 08-25-11, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
Please tell us where we can buy equivalent products cheaper

I thought the gps in my inspire was bad but when I got a droid from my employer it was even worse
Which droid? I have a Droid Incredible and the GPS is phenomenal.
Old 08-25-11, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old droid pro running froyo and htc inspire on gingerbread. It always loses the gps signal in NYC of all places when I'm in google navigation. Not a big deal but it's supposed to use towers for gps and I'm never out of range.
Old 08-25-11, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That sucks! My buddy's Motorola does that as well.
Old 08-25-11, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the timing is purposeful & planned. There's been so much noise and speculation over what Apple will do Post-Steve. He took the medical leave early this year and now he's fully easing out. Coming right behind this announcement will be the iPhone 5 unveil, launch of iOS5, only to be followed by the iPad 3 launch early next year. All will be huge, positive wins for Apple.

So there will be a lot of media going on about "what does this mean?" but the success of the upcoming pipeline will quash it and the media will move on. It truly will be interesting to see down the line but by then the attention span of the media and the public will have moved on to something else. It will only be important to people in the financial and tech world.
Old 08-25-11, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
One other thing, the biggest challenge I see for Apple is to keep from being the next Bose. No matter how innovative they think they are, if it doesn't work right, or is just a gimmick, they're sunk. Expensive boutique stores in trendy shopping plazas won't help them if the hardware doesn't live up to it's promises.
When did this ever happen in recent memory?

Even the Cube was a precursor to the shrinking desktop computer. It's price was just too high.
Old 08-25-11, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post
I don't think this means Apple will change over night. If anything, I would expect the first non-Steve influences to appear in 18-24 months. No doubt they already have a lot of their projects in the pipeline ready to go. Even then I wouldn't be surprised if they have had strategy sessions before this even to discuss bigger pictures plans on where they envision the company and the technology to be in 3, 5, 7 years.
When you hear about a resignation of Jonathan Ive, then I'll worry.

I still predict the demise of Apple after Jobs. It may take a decade but make no mistake, Jobs was that important. He was the filter. Without Jobs, Apple produced a lot of crap. New products must pass the Jobs test.

Last edited by CRM114; 08-25-11 at 01:57 PM.
Old 08-25-11, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
New products must pass the Jobs test.
MobileMe.
Old 08-25-11, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Nefarious View Post
MobileMe.
Correct, and since we've now established that Jobs is fallible it's only logical to assume that anyone could have had the success rate he's had. They should have just used that octopus that predicted the World Cup results.
Old 08-25-11, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
When you hear about a resignation of Jonathan Ive, then I'll worry.

I still predict the demise of Apple after Jobs. It may take a decade but make no mistake, Jobs was that important. He was the filter. Without Jobs, Apple produced a lot of crap. New products must pass the Jobs test.
A decade? No way, nothing changes in IT in a decade. Way to put yourself out there
Old 08-25-11, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think it's more about the infrastructure and the team. Certainly Jonathan Ive leaving would be a bad thing. However, I'd compare that more to Ian Cullum leaving Aston Martin. He designed the DB7, in part the DB9 and the Vanquish. However, since leaving the company has carried over those design queues to the V8 Vantage, One-77 and Vanquish. So even if Ive were to leave, I think a lot of the influences he has set in place over the past decade would stay with the company. Do you see anybody else really pushing aluminum and design processes?
Old 08-25-11, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 124 Likes on 94 Posts

A list of the biggest Apple flops while Steve Jobs was CEO:
http://gizmodo.com/5834321/steve-job...t-apple-flops/

I think the iPod Photo shouldn't be on there, since the 4th generation line was eventually revamped to where all models had color screens, and all future models had color screens as well.
Old 08-25-11, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
A decade? No way, nothing changes in IT in a decade. Way to put yourself out there
Sent from AOL running on your eMachine?
Old 08-25-11, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
Oof. Ping.

Now that was a colossal shitting of the bed right there.
Old 08-25-11, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the iPod Photo shouldn't be on there, since the 4th generation line was eventually revamped to where all models had color screens, and all future models had color screens as well.
A few of those are genuine clunkers. How the hell can a company like Apple not be able to design a decent mouse? And regarding the Cube, the memory of the 20th Anniversary Macintosh should have been fresh in their minds. Why market another expensive boutique piece of modern art disguised as a computer?

But a few of them are questionable. I think it'll take a few years at least to see if Final Cut Pro X is going to be the game changer Apple wants it to be. They really don't want to cater to niche pro markets anymore, so maybe they see dumping that market for the advanced iMovie user as a good thing. And I don't think any iPod ever released by Apple could be considered a "flop". The AppleTV? Steve himself said it was a "hobby". It's not something they were promoting as the next wave of the future like any of the iDevices.

With the possible exception of the Lisa, (and most definitely that damn mouse), these products were hardly junk, but for various reasons never really caught on. A list of Apple's failures under the leadership of others would be a far more depressing list.
Old 08-25-11, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

I'd like to see a list of the ten best Apple products released during Jobs' tenure. I don't use many myself, but they've put out some elegant and game-changing products in his time. On a personal level, I hope his health improves.
Old 08-25-11, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The AppleTV? Steve himself said it was a "hobby". It's not something they were promoting as the next wave of the future like any of the iDevices.
This sounds like some after-the-fact rationalizing. The first iPod wasn't really touted as the "wave of the future," at least by Apple itself, and could possibly have been labeled a hobby by Jobs until its outsized success. If the AppleTV had exploded, I doubt it would be referred to as a "hobby" project.

With the possible exception of the Lisa, (and most definitely that damn mouse), these products were hardly junk, but for various reasons never really caught on. A list of Apple's failures under the leadership of others would be a far more depressing list.
The Lisa wasn't junk either, just overpriced. Apple typically doesn't make a bad product, but their focus on making "premium" products occasionally prices them out of the market for anyone but the fiercest of Apple fans.

Now, the Apple III, that was junk (and released while Jobs was CEO). That bombed so hard, Apple reverted back to the Apple II branding for their next PC (Apple IIe), and kept the Apple II brand going for another decade until they switched completely to Macintosh.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_III

Another recent flop was the XServe line of servers. Apple tried to compete with Windows and Linux server boxes and failed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xserve

Apple does best when they focus on providing a high-end experience for home users and "creative" professionals. Which made their reboot of Final Cut with Final Cut Pro X somewhat surprising, since they appear to be giving the professionals the boot (at least for the time being) in favor of home users.

Last edited by Jay G.; 08-25-11 at 05:16 PM.
Old 08-25-11, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kefrank View Post
I'd like to see a list of the ten best Apple products released during Jobs' tenure. I don't use many myself, but they've put out some elegant and game-changing products in his time. On a personal level, I hope his health improves.
The 10 Products That Defined His Career:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_935885.html

The Lisa is on this list as well! The article appears to categorize Lisa and the NeXT computer as "successes" based on their influence on future products (the Mac and OS X, respectively). Also, it includes NeXT since it focuses on Steve Jobs, not Apple. But then, wither Pixar?
Old 08-25-11, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This sounds like some after-the-fact rationalizing. The first iPod wasn't really touted as the "wave of the future," at least by Apple itself, and could possibly have been labeled a hobby by Jobs until its outsized success. If the AppleTV had exploded, I doubt it would be referred to as a "hobby" project.
http://blogs.computerworld.com/15009...lly_is_a_hobby

He's been referring to it as a hobby since day one.

Now, the Apple III, that was junk (and released while Jobs was CEO). That bombed so hard, Apple reverted back to the Apple II branding for their next PC (Apple IIe), and kept the Apple II brand going for another decade until they switched completely to Macintosh.
Can't believe they left that off the list. When tech support tells you to slam it down on the tabletop to get it to work, your product has real problems.

Another recent flop was the XServe line of servers. Apple tried to compete with Windows and Linux server boxes and failed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xserve

Apple does best when they focus on providing a high-end experience for home users and "creative" professionals. Which made their reboot of Final Cut with Final Cut Pro X somewhat surprising, since they appear to be giving the professionals the boot (at least for the time being) in favor of home users.
Apple let the Xserve sit stagnant for a long time before killing it. It actually could have been considered more of a hobby than the AppleTV. A lot of pro types saw the treatment and eventual jettisoning of the Xserve as a bad omen for the future of FCP, especially when the companion product Final Cut Server pretty much required an Xserve to be useful.
Old 08-25-11, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The 10 Products That Defined His Career:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_935885.html

The Lisa is on this list as well! The article appears to categorize Lisa and the NeXT computer as "successes" based on their influence on future products (the Mac and OS X, respectively). Also, it includes NeXT since it focuses on Steve Jobs, not Apple. But then, wither Pixar?
NeXT was a bigger flop than anything on the actual list of flops.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.