Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

SSD for Desktop?

Old 08-23-11, 07:49 PM

SSD for Desktop?

My system drive gave me a hard time booting up the other night, it's done it before. And this is after I did a clean install of win7. It's a 3 year-old Dell. It got me shopping for HDs and then I ran across the SSDs.

Of course they tend to be small and cost more, but I took a close look at my system drive and discovered that I've only got about 50gb that needs to stay on it. The rest I could move to my second 1tb drive which has plenty of room.

I was looking at http://www.amazon.com/Intel-SATA-2-5-Inch-Solid-State-Drive/dp/B004U8ZHY2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314129135&sr=8-1 and wanted to get some opinions on it. When I enlarged the pic of the package, I noticed it says "Desktop installation kit included."

While I'm asking, what the heck is the difference between that one and this: http://www.amazon.com/Intel-2-5-Inch...pr_product_top

They look to be the same drive.
Old 08-23-11, 08:27 PM
X
Administrator

Re: SSD for Desktop?

I don't know the differences between those, but the 510 which I bought recently can be had for around 5-10% more and it comes with a bracket.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820167042
Old 08-23-11, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll warn ya, they'll spoil you real quick.

In terms of differences, one might be OEM or just a new box.
Old 08-23-11, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You might also look at the 128gb m4. It's even a bit less than those above. I just installed several in dell t1600 workstations, and it is very fast. In general use, you'd probably be hard pressed to see much difference between any of the newest generation ssds in your older machine. I swapped out the 120gb vertex 2 I had for one of the m4's in my laptop, and while it might be a second or 2 quicker to boot, I can't really tell much difference past that.

You won't regret getting one though, whenever I have to work on a machine without one, it feels like everything takes forever. because it does.
Old 08-24-11, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Dave99 View Post
You might also look at the 128gb m4. It's even a bit less than those above. I just installed several in dell t1600 workstations, and it is very fast. In general use, you'd probably be hard pressed to see much difference between any of the newest generation ssds in your older machine. I swapped out the 120gb vertex 2 I had for one of the m4's in my laptop, and while it might be a second or 2 quicker to boot, I can't really tell much difference past that.

You won't regret getting one though, whenever I have to work on a machine without one, it feels like everything takes forever. because it does.
I looked at the 128gb M4 on Amazon. Only two reviews but they liked it. There's a pic of a sata(?) to usb cable. What is that for? You can find it here: http://www.amazon.com/128GB-M4-Ssd-2-5-Sata/dp/B004W2JLB6
Old 08-24-11, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

looks like the difference in the OP is the vendor actually fulfilling the order from amazon, the drives look the same (one vendor has more size choices).

I will 3rd or 4th getting an SSD, single largest improvement I have ever upgraded on a machine (and mine is about a year old now, so it is slower than these).

The M4 would be fine, the Intel 310 would be fine.
Old 08-24-11, 10:37 AM
X
Administrator

I've looked at the M4 recently since it has been selling at a decent price. It looks very good for desktops, not as good for notebooks. It's fairly power-hungry and notebooks generally can't use the SATA 3 capability.
Old 08-24-11, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by jack999 View Post
I looked at the 128gb M4 on Amazon. Only two reviews but they liked it. There's a pic of a sata(?) to usb cable. What is that for? You can find it here: http://www.amazon.com/128GB-M4-Ssd-2-5-Sata/dp/B004W2JLB6
that cable just makes it easier to transfer stuff from your old drive if you use a laptop. Handy thing to have.
Old 08-27-11, 06:50 PM

I installed the 128GB Crucial M4 after my system drive started to die a few months back and I can tell you that it is FAST! Besides the speed, with no moving parts, it is silent.