Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

How to secure wireless network?

Old 08-19-11, 11:42 PM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

How to secure wireless network?

I have a Linksys wireless router that as far as I know isn't actually "secure" (I know, I know) but for the life of me I can't figure out the easiest way to "secure" the network.

Could anyone point me in the right direction or basically explain the most direct and easiest route to go? Or oes it vary by brand and would the best thing to do be to call them up and have them walk me through it step by step.

Also, is it something I can do from any computer in the household? And will be effective for each of them? Or would I have to run the same instruction oneach computer to "secure" them?

I know it's probably easy but sometimes I find myself running in circles.
Old 08-20-11, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: How to secure wireless network?

The security on the router only stops people from getting on your network without the password.

Go to your browser and in the address bar put 192.168.1.1
When the login pops up leave the username blank and put admin for the password
Find the wireless tab, the wireless security or something along those lines. Then turn on the securty, set it to WEP or WPA/PSK. I suggest the latter.
Set a password, apply settings and done.

When you connect wireless you will need that password.
Old 08-20-11, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Don't do wep

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk/5...-wireless.html
Old 08-20-11, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You'll have to use the most secure encryption that all of your devices support. Unfortunately you're stuck with WEP if you have a Nintendo DS that you need connected regularly. I would assume newer DS models can do better, but I'm not sure. If you'll just be connecting computers and home game consoles (PS3 and/or 360), WPA2 should work.

If you have a device that supports WPA but not WPA2 (like the PSP), you can use a mixed mode on some routers that will work with both.
Old 08-20-11, 10:51 PM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Thanks for the help guys.

All I'm connecting is 2 laptops and the home PC and that's it.

I'm off tomorrow so will look into it and try t get it all set up
Old 08-21-11, 12:00 AM

Here's two videos that will walk you through step-by-step. Both have good tips.

Old 08-21-11, 11:15 AM

I recommend the following to generate a password:

https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm
Old 08-22-11, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Drexl View Post
You'll have to use the most secure encryption that all of your devices support. Unfortunately you're stuck with WEP if you have a Nintendo DS that you need connected regularly. I would assume newer DS models can do better, but I'm not sure. If you'll just be connecting computers and home game consoles (PS3 and/or 360), WPA2 should work.

If you have a device that supports WPA but not WPA2 (like the PSP), you can use a mixed mode on some routers that will work with both.

Even my cheap Dell laptop from 2005 supports WPA2, and i believe all wifi certified devices had to support wpa2 since 2006. my ancient router from like 2002 or 2003 supports wpa. but yes, you'd have to use the most secure way supported by all the devices you use.
Old 08-23-11, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's a "for what it's worth" tip: the best (and, IMHO, the only worthy) protection is a strong and secure WPA\WPA2 password.

Some security "experts" suggest disabling SSID broadcast (meaning that your router no longer announces to the world that the router DVDMagic is available). It's true that this will probably keep nosy neighbors from trying to log on to your network, but some devices have trouble with manually-entered SSIDs, and any hacking tools out there would find it any way.

Another bad tip is to enable MAC filtering. In theory, this will only allow devices you specify to connect to your wireless network. But MAC addresses are always sent in clear text (i.e. not encrypted), so any hacker worth a damn could spoof the MAC in about 5 seconds. And MAC filtering is a pain in the ass if you ever have friends with laptops\smartphones over who want to connect to your Wi-Fi network. You'll have to get their MAC address, login to the router, and add them - which is a pain.