Anyone already running it?

Any reviews/issues/problems with it?
Old 08-18-11, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Firefox 6

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse View Post
Anyone already running it?

Any reviews/issues/problems with it?
It's out?! Wow, and I remember way back in the day, when I was just using Firefox 4.0 - I think we called those days April.
Old 08-18-11, 07:34 PM

Other than it not yet supporting the Readability and GetGlue plugins? Nope.
Old 08-19-11, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JakeNeff View Post
Other than the Readability and GetGlue plugins not yet supporting it? Nope.
Fixed.

This add-on should let you run those plugins:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...lity-reporter/

Nightly Tester Tools has that feature as well:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...-tester-tools/

I don't think switching to Google's versioning system is working as well for Firefox as it does for Chrome. For one, the Chorme updates are practically invisible, automatically updating whenever a new version is released. With Firefox, it still gives notice of the major version number changes, requiring you to download the installer and run through installation again.

For another Chrome's extensions don't disable by default when the version changes. Firefox, on the other hand, disables an extension if it isn't explicitly compatible with that version number, and the developers of Firefox extensions aren't used to this quick a turnaround for major version number changes.
Old 08-19-11, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, the rapid versions idea is so dumb. Maxpc had a funny comment that Firefox was like the creepy roommate from SWF, copying Chrome. FF did say they'd stop and hide the number later but can be found under about:support I think the fast numbers will stop after version 8.

Firefox 7 beta is out, too, I didn't notice any difference but more plugins didn't work for that, but all plugins for me work in FF6.
Old 08-19-11, 12:19 PM

Yeah, this is basically Firefox 4.02. Nothing ground-breaking. One thing I've noticed is that "View Source" is no longer an option under the "File" menu.
Old 08-19-11, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Yeah, this is basically Firefox 4.02. Nothing ground-breaking. One thing I've noticed is that "View Source" is no longer an option under the "File" menu.
It is in Tools->Web Developer->Page Source.

I'm assuming you could put it back in the file menu with a userChrome.css change though.
Old 08-19-11, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
Yeah, the rapid versions idea is so dumb. Maxpc had a funny comment that Firefox was like the creepy roommate from SWF, copying Chrome. FF did say they'd stop and hide the number later but can be found under about:support I think the fast numbers will stop after version 8.

Firefox 7 beta is out, too, I didn't notice any difference but more plugins didn't work for that, but all plugins for me work in FF6.
hmmm.. according to articles and review of 7, it operates at 20-30% less memory usage and can go up to 50% less at times.. and that instead of leaking memory when left for long amounts of time, it actually frees it back up..

FF's horrible memory usage and management has always been a joke.. I may give 7b a shot and see if they really did finally address that issue.
Old 08-19-11, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jeremy517 View Post
It is in Tools->Web Developer->Page Source.

I'm assuming you could put it back in the file menu with a userChrome.css change though.
I use Control-Shift-U myself, but it's something I just happened to notice clicking around. Nothing else really stuck out.
Old 08-19-11, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh really, might give 7 another look then. Looks like this rapid thing will keep going after version 8...

checked the schedule.
FF7 final
FF8 beta
FF9 aurora (alpha?)
September 27, 2011

3.6.20 was released on August 16, for those who still want to stay with 3.6.
Old 08-19-11, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
They are definitely SWFing Chrome, but it's a painful makeover, like if remade SWF with Emma Stone and Queen Latifa.
Old 08-19-11, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

After years of using Firefox exclusively I have now been running Chrome for about a week and generally I am happier with it. I don't like Chrome's way of bookmarks - no bookmarks button on top - several clicks to actually get to your bookmarks. In addition I can't find a way to bookmark a page - have to go to Firefox and make the bookmark and then import my Firefox bookmarks into Chrome. I like Firefox better for working on web pages through "localhost" because when I reload a page in Firefox it reloads at the point in the page where I already was working, while in Chrome it opens and automatically takes me back to the top of the page.

So, all in all - I am using mostly Chrome, but still need Firefox. I am running Firefox 6 now and see no differences at all.

Oh, one thing I REALLY noticed - uploads are incredibly faster with Chrome - for example when uploading a Kindle Book to Amazon.com or a large PDF file to CreateSpace for review.
Old 08-19-11, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by danwiz View Post
I don't like Chrome's way of bookmarks - no bookmarks button on top - several clicks to actually get to your bookmarks. In addition I can't find a way to bookmark a page
On the bookmarks bar at the top, there is a folder on the far right called "Other bookmarks". If you put all your bookmarks in that folder, you can just click on it to drop the list down.

As for creating bookmarks, just click on the star on the far right of the search bar.

After encountering the redirect "virus" in my Firefox browser, I've pretty much switched over to using either Chrome or IE.
Old 08-19-11, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The star at the end of the URL bar is the bookmark page button in chrome. If it's filled yellow the page is already bookmarked. If it's empty click the star to bookmark and optionally retitle or sort the bookmark.

As for the bookmark tree, I agree and there is probably an extension to add a proper bookmark button, but I just use the bookmark bar in the default new tab window.

edit: too late.
Old 08-23-11, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I dl'd it. Haven't noticed much in the way of change, except now even less of my add-ons are working.
Old 08-24-11, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't like Chrome's way of bookmarks - no bookmarks button on top - several clicks to actually get to your bookmarks.
For a bookmarks button in Chrome I use the extension Neat Bookmarks:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...pjkfbijifaainp
Old 08-25-11, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You have to remember to think in Russian.
Old 08-25-11, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Put it in H!
Old 08-25-11, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmm, seems have a bit of a memory leak. It's been a while since I've had FF go to 500MB on me. It also slowed down quite a bit.

Could just be that fucking piece of shit called Flash though.
Old 08-26-11, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mozilla ditched the hide version number idea and wants to have a new release every six weeks until June 2012.
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/m...er-crazy/14442

A bit OT, but anyone know how to get noscript in Firefox to work with sites like imdb? Even if I 'allow all scripts on this page' or "globally allow..." the drop-down menu won't work. It only works if I completely disable noscript.
Old 08-26-11, 10:44 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've been a devout IE user since I started using computers 13 years ago, tried Firefox once back in its infancy, didn't like it, uninstalled it, never looked back, until just recently when I couldn't open a link with IE for some reason. Someone suggested I try a different browser so I decided to check out Firefox once again to see how far they'd come. After reading a buttload of negative reviews about the newer versions not playing well with everyone's favorite addons, I opted to install 3.6.18. I still use IE8 for most of my browsing, FF3.6 when I need a different browser, really feel no need to try anything else. Don't particularly care for Google's data collection reputation, don't want to mess with Safari, if I need a different browser, FF3.6 is good enough for me. -kd5-
Old 08-26-11, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought only people in jail used IE.
Old 08-27-11, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Jay G. Thanks for the Chrome extension for bookmarks - installed it, works nicely, glad to have it!

danwiz

is anybody else having a problem with Firefox where it decides it's going to reload a page every couple of minutes for some odd reason?! This is really annoying when I am working from localhost?! I may have to end up ditching Firefox even for use with localhost.

kd5 - where do you find older versions of Firefox?!

never mind - I Googled older versions and found it!

(3 hours later) Uninstalled Firefox 6 and installed Firefox 4.0 - this version does NOT reload pages every couple of minutes and it is much nicer when working with localhost. Why would they make a newer version do this anyway?! And, I am not joking - it does not reload every 15 or 20 minutes just in case something has changed - version 6 reloads every couple of minutes!!

Last edited by danwiz; 08-27-11 at 05:02 AM.
Old 08-27-11, 07:06 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
I thought only people in jail used IE.

Well, sorry to dash all of your preconceived notions to bits but no, I'm not in jail. It's just that with the exception of the normal tracking cookies and the rare glitch, I've never really experienced any of the security-related issues that all the other browser fanboys claim that I should. Since there isn't one Windows-based application out there that isn't subject to malicious intent, the browser I've chosen to use shouldn't give any more or less trouble than any other. The day I start to experience the issues that the alternative browser fanboys claim that I should is the day I'll take them seriously. -kd5-
Old 08-27-11, 07:10 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

kd5 - where do you find older versions of Firefox?!
FileHippo is the best place I've found to download from if you're looking for older versions of the more popular applications:

http://filehippo.com/download_firefox/10077/ -kd5-

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.