Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Best affordable external hard drive?

Old 08-14-11, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Best affordable external hard drive?

Looking for an external hard drive for backup purposes. Probably won't need more than 1 or 1.5 TB. My current HD is 1 TB, and I've only got about 200 GB used, but I'm going to be putting probably a couple thousand JPGs on from another machine, so I want a little room for growth.
What are good brands or features to look for in terms of stability and speed (stability more important) and good pricing?
Old 08-14-11, 11:42 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Re: Best affordable external hard drive?

Isn't every drive in the 'affordable' range the same these days?

Dont buy anything used.
Old 08-15-11, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Western Digital My Passport. I have had 2 of their 1TB disks for 3 years now...been all over the world with me, dropped, abused, and never a single problem. Maybe not the cheapest...but you get what you pay for. I got mine for around $100 each.
Old 08-15-11, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I've always had good luck with Western Digital. I saw a 1tb elements se for around $60 last month, if you are not in a hurry, there are sales on hd from time to time that pop up on SD, FW, etc., you can set up deal alerts as well if you don't frequent the sites that often.
Old 08-15-11, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I like Western Digital too. I have a Passport with USB 3.0 for my backups.
Old 08-15-11, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Put me in the WD category as well. Won't even look at any other drive regardless of price.
Old 08-15-11, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I bought a 1TB hard drive at Best Buy not that long ago and didn't even really look at the brand. I think it was like 80-90 bucks or something.

It's amazing how cheap technology gets as time goes on. I believe this is right but the first 1 terabyte drive was released in October 2007 and cost $370. The cost today is about 1/5 of what it was when it first came out less than 4 years ago.

And by the way, the first 1 gigabyte drive was released by Seagate in January 1995 for the low, low price of only $849. I know that was 16 years ago, but can you believe that? I frickin gigabyte for $850.
Old 08-15-11, 11:42 AM

I love the WD Elements series. It's basically just a bare hard drive in a simple enclosure. No lights or buttons, and most importantly, no pre-loaded software. I've had the 2TB for about a year, and just bought a 2.5TB.

I'd keep an eye on prices because they fluctuate wildly. Bought the 2.5TB a few days ago for $95 and it's already back up to $108. I've seen the 2TB version as low as $80, but right now it's $90.

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digita...dp/B002QEBMCI/
Old 08-15-11, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've done fine with a couple Seagate drives. Just got a 2TB non-portable external for under $100.

As long as the price remains in the same ballpark, buy more space than you think you'll need since you'll most likely use it up faster than expected.
Old 08-15-11, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Staples has a few drives on sale this week. You can get the 1TB passport USB3 or 2TB essential USB2 for $90. Not a great price unless you have (or buy) a 25 off 75 coupon. Even with the price of the coupon it will be under $70.