Reload this Page >

Looking for a Low-Mid Range Graphics Card- Considering ASUS Radeon 6670

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-13-11, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All:

I'm thinking of upgrading my ASUS EAD5450 Radeon card to something with a little more horsepower. I also recently bought a Dell U2311 monitor, and want to make the best use of the display. Ive done a fair bit of research and looked at the PassMark performance benchmarks to figure out the price/performance I would like to see. I'm thinking of spending a max of $120.

I considered a 5670, but for about $10 more, I can get a ASUS Radeon 6670 that has about a 10% improvement in bandwidth and frame rate across a range of games. I'm not sure what games I may dabble with, but looking for a card that will make all but the most advanced games (AVP3, Crysis 2 etc) playable, even if at reduced settings.

Ive also considered an EVGA GTS 450, and would have also considered a GTX 260 or Radeon 4850 if they werent OOS at almost all retailers.

If possible, I would love a card that has not only DVI but a DP as well, as the monitor has a DP connection, but not HDMI.

I'd welcome any comments on possible options I am missing. My setup is an Athlon II X4 640 on an ASUS M4N68T-V-2, 4G RAM, 2 Gig WD Caviar Black drive, Win7 64 Ultimate and the abovementioned Dell U2311 monitor (IPS panel). I'm using an Antec 300 case (with a PC Power and Cooling MK2 500W Power Supply), so plenty of room for a full size card, and have 4 fans installed for cooling.

Any guidance or alternate recommendations?
Old 08-13-11, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Looking for a Low-Mid Range Graphics Card- Considering ASUS Radeon 6670

What are your feelings on rebates? I just got a GTX 460 1GB for about $125 after rebate last month. There were several around that price point after MIR. I went with Galaxy because their's was factory OC'd. Don't get the SE, it's a cut down version but for some reason Nvidia is charging full 460 price.
Old 08-13-11, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Looking for a Low-Mid Range Graphics Card- Considering ASUS Radeon 6670

if only you were looking around the end of last year/beginning of this year...i picked up an xfx 1gb 4850 for $20ar, though i pulled it since it uses a lot of power at idle, and i'm not gaming at this time. anyways, i think, in the price range, the gtx 460 is a good choice.