Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Safe to delete years old Hotfix Uninstallers?

Old 08-08-11, 03:59 PM

Safe to delete years old Hotfix Uninstallers?

OK, I just downloaded a program called CCleaner and I found that I could delete 760MB worth of these things from my computer.

First off I have a very small hard-drive on an ancient computer. I only have a 7.84GB hard-drive and of that I only have 574MB worth of free space left.

I've done everything possible to free up space.

On the Add or Remove Programs utility I checked the show updates box and see that for the Microsoft Office XP program that the last update was on 8/2006.

And on the Windows XP - Software Updates that the last entry is for a security update on 7/2010.

Are all of these updates that I posted associated with all of these Hotfix Uninstallers? And being that the last one listed is from 2010 is it ok to remove all of these uninstallers?

760MB is a huge amount on this hard-drive and this extra space would come in handy, but I don't want to use CCLeaner to remove them in they could do harm to the computer.

FYI: I don't want to sink any money into this computer as I plan on buying one around Christmas this year for myself. So buying another hard-drive is a waste of money.
Old 08-08-11, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Safe to delete years old Hotfix Uninstallers?

PM me your address and I'll send you a bigger hard drive. I throw away 40GB and greater drives all the time.
Old 08-08-11, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You mean the directories with names like "$NtUninstallKB981852$" in your Windows directory? Yes, I have deleted those with no consequence before when I've been low on disk space. Theoretically they're needed in case you want to uninstall one of the patches you get from Windows Update. How many times have you done that since you've acquired the machine? For most people, that's zero.

Something else you might want to consider is to turn off system restore. That's usually enabled by default and it reserves a nice chunk of disk space that can be recovered if you turn off the feature. I got into the habit of turning it off routinely after any XP installs because every time I tried it, I found it to be utterly useless.
Old 08-08-11, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Also might want to turn off hibernation and delete the hibernation sys file under C:\.

I was thinking about the Windows > SoftwareDistribution > Download folder. I clear that folder often, no problems.

Can't believe I didn't think about the uninstall folders. Just saved 1GB there. I have the room but I like a tidy drive.