Reload this Page >

Strategy for a Triple Boot Laptop

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-05-11, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted this to tonymacx86 and hackint0sh.org but wanted to see if anyone here could advise as well.

I'm going to attempt turning a new Asus U56E-BBL5 laptop (i5, 6GB RAM, 640GB SATA HDD, UMA onboard graphics) or Lenovo V570 (same specs except Intel HD3000 onboard graphics) into a triple boot machine running Ubuntu and Snow Leopard in addition to the Win7 Home Premium it ships with. My question is figuring out what order to install everything and how many HDD partitions to use. Here's what I'm thinking so far:

1. Create recovery DVD after unpacking laptop.
2. Update all drivers and save using Semper Driver Backup
3. Format HDD
4. Use the tonymacx86 iBoot + MultiBeast method to install OS X Snow Leopard from a retail disc.
5. Download Win7HP ISOs and install using Boot Camp & Parallels using the registration that came with the laptop.
6. Once Win7HP is running install Ubuntu.

The difficulty lies in what problems I'll have running the display, wireless adapter, touchpad, and webcam in OSX.

I've done a few Windows/Linux dual-boots in the past but this is my first Hackintosh and my first triple boot so I'm not sure of all the variables. I'd love to hear the community's suggestions on how to accomplish this with the least headache.
Old 08-05-11, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Strategy for a Triple Boot Laptop

I don't think there's much difference if you have 2 or 3 OSes, if you have a good bootloader.

Have you considered Virtual Machines?
Old 08-05-11, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 427 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by Amator View Post
I posted this to tonymacx86 and hackint0sh.org but wanted to see if anyone here could advise as well.

I'm going to attempt turning a new Asus U56E-BBL5 laptop (i5, 6GB RAM, 640GB SATA HDD, UMA onboard graphics) or Lenovo V570 (same specs except Intel HD3000 onboard graphics) into a triple boot machine running Ubuntu and Snow Leopard in addition to the Win7 Home Premium it ships with. My question is figuring out what order to install everything and how many HDD partitions to use. Here's what I'm thinking so far:

1. Create recovery DVD after unpacking laptop.
2. Update all drivers and save using Semper Driver Backup
3. Format HDD
4. Use the tonymacx86 iBoot + MultiBeast method to install OS X Snow Leopard from a retail disc.
5. Download Win7HP ISOs and install using Boot Camp & Parallels using the registration that came with the laptop.
6. Once Win7HP is running install Ubuntu.

The difficulty lies in what problems I'll have running the display, wireless adapter, touchpad, and webcam in OSX.

I've done a few Windows/Linux dual-boots in the past but this is my first Hackintosh and my first triple boot so I'm not sure of all the variables. I'd love to hear the community's suggestions on how to accomplish this with the least headache.
imo - install (first) Windows 7 -> (second) Ubuntu -> (third) Snow Leopard is the way to go. Hackint0sh machines usually include the Chameleon bootloader, which is pretty flexible.
Old 08-07-11, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks guys for the input!

Raul3, I haven't played with virtual machines too much; can you install applications on virtual machines?

RichC2, I'll check out the Chameleon bootloader, thank you sir!
Old 08-08-11, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think there's a thread here somewhere, but in the best setup, you have a light host OS and then all the OSes on top as VMs. And they work the same as if they were dual or triple boots.

Someone here should have more experience on that.
Old 08-08-11, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As someone who's pretty computer ignorant, what is the purpose / benefit of doing this?
Old 08-08-11, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You don't have to reboot.
Old 08-08-11, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by CharlieK View Post
As someone who's pretty computer ignorant, what is the purpose / benefit of doing this?
The purpose of having a triple boot system?

I write software reviews for a tech blog and need to cover apps for Windows, Max, and (occasionally) Linux. Right now I'm using three different computers for this. (my home-built PC/Ubuntu, my 6-year old laptop running Ubuntu, and my wife's iMac)

I'd prefer to have all three OSes on one laptop so I can do reviews while away from home.
Old 08-08-11, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
imo - install (first) Windows 7 -> (second) Ubuntu -> (third) Snow Leopard is the way to go. Hackint0sh machines usually include the Chameleon bootloader, which is pretty flexible.
We have a winner. You will need Mac Drive to read/write the Mac partitions from Windows.
Old 08-08-11, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

VMs are the way to go. I use VMWare but Virtual Box is good too. You can install Windows as the main OS, install Virtual Box and create Linux and OSX virtual machines. Or there is Virtual Box for Linux and OSX as well.

Good thing is you can take snapshots of your virtual machines and roll back if you want. For example you can get a virtual machine installed and configured just as you like it and then take a snapshot. You can load it up with your software you need to review and when done just roll back to your clean snapshot. Other good thing is you have a virtual network as well and when all the virtual machines are running they can all talk to each other. That way if you are reviewing some software that interacts with different OSes...you can test them out.
Old 08-09-11, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Amator View Post
The purpose of having a triple boot system?

I write software reviews for a tech blog and need to cover apps for Windows, Max, and (occasionally) Linux. Right now I'm using three different computers for this. (my home-built PC/Ubuntu, my 6-year old laptop running Ubuntu, and my wife's iMac)

I'd prefer to have all three OSes on one laptop so I can do reviews while away from home.
Ah, got it. Thanks.
Old 08-14-11, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In case any of you guys are interested, I altered my plans a bit. I got a great coupon (20% off selected laptops at Amazon) and went with a different model Lenovo than the one above. The Lenovo G570 I ordered is a slightly slower system (i3 instead of i5) but with the discount and a giftcard I got an i-3 sandy bridge with decent specs for $390 shipped 2nd day air with no taxes.

My plan is to dual-boot Win7HP and Ubuntu 11.04 (just because I love Ubuntu) and use a virtual box for OS X. Thanks everyone for your advice!