Reload this Page >

Anyone Ever Buy a Refurbished Laptop?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-28-11, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My six year old Dell Inspiron 9300 has been circling the drain for quite some time. I've replaced the keyboard, maxed out the RAM, went to a USB soundcard after the internal one died, and now I'm getting intermittent HDD failure.

I'm hoping to buy a Macbook Pro and from research have read that I should consider waiting until Feb 2012 when the new models come out. That sounds about right for me financially anyway, as we're a one-income family and I haven't saved up anything for a replacement computer yet.

I'm somewhat doubtful my Inspiron will last another 8 months and I can't spring for a $1500 MBP 15 refurb right now. I've received an email ad from Tiger Direct advertising their refurb laptops, and after doing some research I've noticed that Best Buy also sells refurb laptops. It looks like for around $400 at either store I can get an 15.4" Pentium i3 with most of what I need for the immediate future and get the MBP down the road when I'm financially ready for it.

I've never bought a refurb computer before and wanted to get opinions. Thanks.
Old 07-28-11, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Anyone Ever Buy a Refurbished Laptop?

You should be able to get a new 15.4" i3 for between $350 and $400. Keep any eye out at Newegg or Ben's Bargains. Here are two examples.

HP Smart Buy ProBook 4530s i3 2.1GHz 15.6" LED-backlit $399.99

or

lenovo IdeaPad Z560 (0914-42U) Notebook Intel Core i3 380M(2.53GHz) 15.6" Wide XGA 4GB Memory DDR3 1066 320GB HDD 5400rpm DVD±R/RW Intel HD Graphic with Free Shipping $399.99

Last edited by Nifty03; 07-29-11 at 06:15 AM.
Old 07-28-11, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
Re: Anyone Ever Buy a Refurbished Laptop?

The only refurb laptops I have ever purchased were directly from Apple, since they come with a one year warranty and are eligible for AppleCare. I would pay particular attention to the warranty offered on any refurb Windows machine you might be considering.

That said, I agree with Nifty03. New i3 laptops can easily be found in the $400 range. In fact, there was a thread on Slickdeals just last week listing multiple i3 options for $400 or less. My sister-in-law bought the Lenovo linked above a few days ago, but it hasn't arrived yet.