Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

VZW phone says that the sim card is not recognized, but everything seems to work fine

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

VZW phone says that the sim card is not recognized, but everything seems to work fine

Old 07-27-11, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Well, i have a cell phone from Verizon Wireless, and an error message comes up on the lock screen and says that the sim card is not recognized, but once past the lock screen, everything works fine, data and voice. No error messages pop up, except on the lock screen.
Old 07-27-11, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 424 Likes on 336 Posts
Re: VZW phone says that the sim card is not recognized, but everything seems to work

Weird, where'd you find a Verizon phone that supports a sim card?
Old 07-27-11, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: VZW phone says that the sim card is not recognized, but everything seems to work

A handful of Verizon phones include SIM card support for use in other countries.
Old 07-27-11, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
A handful of Verizon phones include SIM card support for use in other countries.
There are global phones that have vodaphone Sims, at least my other phone was, but my phone now is the Thunderbolt, it uses sim on US soil, as with other lte phones.

Last edited by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB); 07-27-11 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-27-11, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 424 Likes on 336 Posts

I keep forgetting the details with LTE haha.
Old 07-27-11, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Have you tried taking the Sim completely out and seeing if you still have service?
Old 07-28-11, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by D.Pham00 View Post
There are global phones that have vodaphone Sims, at least my other phone was, but my phone now is the Thunderbolt, it uses sim on US soil, as with other lte phones.
The SIM in the LTE phones is used only for LTE service though, so you'll still get 3G and voice through the CDMA network, which doesn't use SIM.
http://techcrunch.com/2010/11/22/verizon-4g-lte-sim/

Are you in an area with "4G" LTE service?
Old 07-28-11, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
The SIM in the LTE phones is used only for LTE service though, so you'll still get 3G and voice through the CDMA network, which doesn't use SIM.
http://techcrunch.com/2010/11/22/verizon-4g-lte-sim/

Are you in an area with "4G" LTE service?
I am in an area with lte service.

I do not know exactly how it works, but you must have a sim for the lte phones to work. I tried to remove the sim, could not make any calls and no data at all. Also, when I got replacement phone, I just took out the sim, popped it into the new phone and it worked.

Btw, I don't know what the problem was, but I did a restart, and no more error message.
Old 07-28-11, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This is a picture of the lockscreen with the message, but data and voice connectivity was fine.

pulled the sim and got this (notice no data or voice connectivity)