Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

I'm buying a TABLET tomorrow... any advice from my friends at DVDTalk??

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-24-11, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys!

It's been so long since I've been on here. Some of you may remember me as the "Guy who went to buy his Girlfriend's Engagement Ring.... and got ran over by a car!" OR... "The Guy who got hit by a car buying his Fiance's Engagement Ring, only to have her leave him 1 year later"

Ah well..... I was pretty depressed for a while, but I am in the process of getting on with my life. Thanks to those of you for your "Ring Advice", "Where to Propose Advice" and everything else. IDON'T mean that sarcastically... Sure, it all turned to crap,but it was a learning process. I don't wanna drag things out, but all the pain was a learning experiece.

You guys have been, well this may sound dorky, but you've been a great set of friends to me. Thanks guys.

One of the steps of moving on is getting me one of those COOL "Computer Tablets"! I've seen the I-Pad (obviously), and saw reviews for the "Samsung Galaxy.

Here is what I am looking for and possibly you guys can steer my in the right direction.

Ok here goes...

Between 8-10" screen (preferably 10")
MUST have some kind of SD card slot (32GB to 64gb compatible)
WiFi Connectivvity for working/playing around the house
HDMI -for transmitting HD Movies to my LCD TV)
>(Is there a way to do this wirelessly?
USB Ports (for external HD and other peripherals)
Some kind of OS that is similar to Windows?
Blue Tooth
Built in Camera
A way to read books

OPTIONAL
Some kinda of data package that I can use while traveling?
>(But will this cost a LOT of money? I assume it's some kinda "cell phone type contact"

So far.... these models look like "MAYBES"

1) Apple® - iPad® 2 with Wi-Fi + 3G - 16GB (AT&T) - Black ($629)
2) Motorola Xoom
3) Samsung - Galaxy Tab 10.1 - 32GB - Metallic Gray
4) HP - TouchPad Tablet with 32GB Memory - Black

The last one (The HP Touchpad) has my vote so far. BUT... It doesn't seem to have the expandability I want (via USB, and especially via SD memory card) BUT, it gets great reviews....

But maybe you guys can shed light on it for me? I may purchase as easy as tomorrow.

OH.... HERE'S A QUESTION-- With NO Optical/Blu-Ray Drive, HOW CAN I LOAD MY DVD's.Blu-Rays for viewing ON THE GO?

But, hey guys... thanks in ADVANCE! You've all been so good to me.

Well.... guys, I am off to shower up and go to PT for my back (Jesus.... 3.5 years later and still am in PT). Heck, if I hit big in my lawsuit I'll get a gift card to whoever gives me solid advice first

Have a GOOD night everyone!
Old 07-24-11, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: I'm buying a TABLET tomorrow... any advice from my friends at DVDTalk??

iPad does not support SD cards for anything but pictures and video, and even then, it requires the camera connection kit (sold separately). Also, I believe you need a separate adapter to use HDMI. To stream wirelessly, you would need an Apple TV to use AirPlay. iPad also does not have any USB ports. Again, the camera connection kit has a USB slot, but I think it's use is limited. Obviously, the OS is not going to be similar to Windows. It does have bluetooth, but I'm not sure what it can be used for aside from a bluetooth keyboard.

Based on all this, I'm not sure the iPad is right for you. I don't have any of the other devices you have listed, so I can't really comment on those.
Old 07-24-11, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think we can discuss how to get your DVDs/BDs transcoded for viewing on the device. All I can say is to see if the digital copies will work.
Old 07-24-11, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Sominex View Post
Between 8-10" screen (preferably 10")
MUST have some kind of SD card slot (32GB to 64gb compatible)
WiFi Connectivvity for working/playing around the house
HDMI -for transmitting HD Movies to my LCD TV)
>(Is there a way to do this wirelessly?
USB Ports (for external HD and other peripherals)
Some kind of OS that is similar to Windows?
Blue Tooth
Built in Camera
A way to read books
ASUS Transformer has everything above, plus an additional dock with full keyboard (w/ USB port and a SD card slot) and trackpad. Plus, it's only $400 for the 16gb. Then just expand the memory with a cheap MicroSD card.

Based on your list above, the iPad is definitely not something you need to even consider purchasing.
Old 07-24-11, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Keep in mind you have to have the dock on the Transformer in order to have USB.
Old 07-24-11, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by aJOHNymous View Post
ASUS Transformer has everything above, plus an additional dock with full keyboard (w/ USB port and a SD card slot) and trackpad. Plus, it's only $400 for the 16gb. Then just expand the memory with a cheap MicroSD card.

This...plus the Staples coupon.
Old 07-24-11, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you're getting a tablet, get either an Ipad2 or the samsung 10.1 if you like android. Everything else is shit, IMO. Your requirements sound more like laptop, especially for the amount of storage you need.

With my iPad and apple tv I can wirelessly stream content from the iPad to the tv or from my PC to my tv. I just have the 32gb version wifi only. I don't see any real need for a lot of external storage options.
Old 07-25-11, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

iPad 2 is the best tablet out there, but it does lack USB + SD support.

the 10.1 is the best android tablet out there, but it lacks USB + SD support.

The Asus Transformer has SD support but has some serious QA issues and is bulky.

The Acer Iconia A500 is bulky and has never really blown me away but does have USB + MicroSD. It also has the weakest battery of the bunch but still lasts well over 6 hours and is the cheapest.

I'm not a fan of the Transformer or A500, haven't played with a Toshiba Thrive (which also has full USB + HDMI out built-in) or Lenovo IdeaPad
Old 07-25-11, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sominex View Post
Ah well..... I was pretty depressed for a while, but I am in the process of getting on with my life. right direction.
WTF is going on around here with all the depression???
Old 07-25-11, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

It sounds like your expectations of use are more in line with a laptop than a tablet. I think you may be slightly disapointed with any of the options you listed. I personally love the ipad. It is a great media consumption device. But it isn't ideal for puting HD media on your TV, nor does it have an SD slot.

Also, you might consider forgoing the 3g option and get more on board memory.

You can get a refurbished 16 GB WiFi iPad 1 for $350.
Old 07-25-11, 11:51 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Forget Apple if you really want flexibility. I have an ipad and it is very frustrating if you try to use it in any way that is not 'Apple Sanctioned'. It is very picky with videos and usefulness is very limited for anything but what it's MADE for.

SD slots, USB plugs HDMI outs etc... are all available on the competition for less and I really wish I had something different. My two cents.
Old 07-25-11, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

USE THE STAPLES $100 OFF COUPON!!!! It expires on 7/30/2011 and is for in store use only.

They will ORDER what you what you if it is not in stock and will honor the coupon. Also, Office Depot and Best Buy (will vary from store to store) are honoring the coupon.

I'll have to give another vote for the Transformer. I picked up both a Xoom (at staples with coupon)and Tranformer (at best buy with coupon price match).

While the Xoom is the most solid Android Tablet (construction quality) for me, the Transformer just felt right. I got the dock to go along with it and it's great, also nearly doubles your battery life.

I also like the built in network browser from Asus, MyNet. Saw my Iomega NAS drive right away!!

My advice, aside from using the coupon, is get the one that feels best in your hands since performance wise they are all very similar. I held them all: Xoom, Transformer, Iconia, Thrive, Galaxy, Coby...and the Transformer felt the most natural to me.
Old 07-25-11, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have a Xoom and really like it. Just got SD card support (Wifi version used with Mobile Hotspot on cell phone for mobile use). No HDMI out or external HD support via USB, though.
Old 07-25-11, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SleepyW View Post
I have a Xoom and really like it. Just got SD card support (Wifi version used with Mobile Hotspot on cell phone for mobile use). No HDMI out or external HD support via USB, though.
This is part of the reason I returned it. I could buy a USB OTG cable to transfer pics from my PTP enabled cameras, but wanted fully functioning USB ports (like on the Transformer Dock). It's mystifying why the Xoom was the only one with a non-working SD card slot until the 3.2 update or why USB host capabilities were not included.
Old 07-25-11, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I love my Transformer. My only complaints are the same with most every tablet (flash is still iffy, hard to transfer files). It has more bang then most and has a lower buck... That is where my vote is.
Old 07-25-11, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Save Ferris View Post
Forget Apple if you really want flexibility. I have an ipad and it is very frustrating if you try to use it in any way that is not 'Apple Sanctioned'. It is very picky with videos and usefulness is very limited for anything but what it's MADE for.
There's paid apps out there that support various video formats like AVI/DIVX/FLV/WMV/etc. in the App Store. I was able to get the VLC app before it was pulled and it works like a charm.

I second the iPad 2 as it meets all of your demands.

The Camera Connection Kit will support SD cards, but will only transfer photos and videos.

It has WiFi (and 3G options are available).

The Digital AV Adapter will output to 1080p via HDMI, but an AppleTV will be able to mirror everything all through WiFi when iOS 5 comes out.

USB ports are worthless and defeat the purpose of having a tablet (and you should purchase a netbook or laptop instead).

iOS 4 has made the iPad better and it will become better with iOS 5.

Bluetooth 2.1 is built-in and supports audio and keyboards.

Two cameras (640x480 and 720p HD) are built-in.

iBooks, Amazon Kindle, Barnes and Noble Nook, Google Books, amongst others, are all available in the App Store.

I love my iPad 2 (64GB with AT&T 3G). I ended up selling my late-2006 MacBook and it was the perfect replacement for what I used a laptop for (I own a 27" iMac that I use as my primary machine).
Old 07-25-11, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel View Post
USB ports are worthless and defeat the purpose of having a tablet (and you should purchase a netbook or laptop instead).
I dunno. I'd like to be able to easily transfer movies, mp3s, and .cbr files I already have from my computer to a tablet. Having to buy a SD card to do that seems like unnecessary middle step, as does transferring those files to a online storage to then re-down load them. A USB transfer is the FIRST thing I looked for as I've little interest in playing angry birds or rebuying all my music digitally.
Old 07-25-11, 06:06 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

My problems with ipad being flexible:
1. Using multiple computers without itunes and wanting to transfer video files or music to the ipad
-- using a dedicated machine with the same itunes library and itunes purchased movies and songs is the preferred way--this is too limited for my tastes.
2. Movies and video files that dont originate on itunes need work to show up or play correctly.
3. Bluetooth issues with my car stereo
4. the memory you buy it with is all you'll get
-- wish i could pop in a dedicated micro sd card that has my movie collection on it or mp3s as well as having internal memory for apps or whatever.
Old 07-25-11, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Navinabob View Post
I dunno. I'd like to be able to easily transfer movies, mp3s, and .cbr files I already have from my computer to a tablet. Having to buy a SD card to do that seems like unnecessary middle step, as does transferring those files to a online storage to then re-down load them. A USB transfer is the FIRST thing I looked for as I've little interest in playing angry birds or rebuying all my music digitally.
Doesn't the Android support sync through WiFi between the device and the computer? The iPad will support wireless syncing when iOS 5 comes out in the fall which means the 30-pin dock connector to USB will only be needed to charge the unit.

Originally Posted by Save Ferris View Post
My problems with ipad being flexible:
1. Using multiple computers without itunes and wanting to transfer video files or music to the ipad
-- using a dedicated machine with the same itunes library and itunes purchased movies and songs is the preferred way--this is too limited for my tastes.
2. Movies and video files that dont originate on itunes need work to show up or play correctly.
3. Bluetooth issues with my car stereo
4. the memory you buy it with is all you'll get
-- wish i could pop in a dedicated micro sd card that has my movie collection on it or mp3s as well as having internal memory for apps or whatever.
1. When it comes to purchased apps and music, you can download them from the iCloud at anytime (on your Mac, PC, iPad, iPhone or iPod touch). When iTunes Match comes out in the fall, the same process will be implemented for music not purchased off the service.
2. There's plenty of free, easy software out there like Handbrake that uses the VLC engine to convert any file format to H.264. If not, third party apps like the now discontinued VLC app or Azul, AirVideo or whatever that'll play other file formats.
3. I haven't had any issues with Bluetooth.
4. Does one need more than 64GB? Okay, maybe 128GB... but I have my iPhone on me at all times and I've pretty much maxed out the memory on it (32GB). Since I have my iPhone on me every single, waking minute of the day; I use the iPad to store additional music and videos that aren't found on the device. I have 30GB filled, but that's mostly due to music and apps. With the US launch of Spotify, I have rarely opened the iPod app on both devices.
Old 07-25-11, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a 64 gb white iPad and it has all but replaced my laptop for couch surfing. I did pick up the camera kit which is nicetonbe able to look at pictures I take.
Old 07-25-11, 09:46 PM

http://www.notionink.com/features.php
Old 07-25-11, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If you have a smartphone a 3G tablet is a waste of money. Get a wifi one and hotspot whenever you need to.
Old 07-25-11, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I tether my iPad to my galaxy s phone through T-mobile and it works great. And I don't have to pay a tethering fee either since the iPad shows as a mobile device and not a computer.
Old 07-25-11, 10:41 PM
Banned by request

Have you considered the Toshiba Thrive? I believe it comes with almost everything you listed.

Last edited by Supermallet; 07-26-11 at 03:30 AM.
Old 07-26-11, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been watching these for a while and here are my suggestions:

If you haven't bought one yet stop at a Verizon store. They don't have the new Galaxy yet but they are heavily discounting the 7" Samsung Galaxy. You can pick it up for $199 with a 2 yr $30 per month 2 GB data plan. They will have the 10" soon but that price will probably be around $499 with the same (minimum) plan.

Best Buy has the new Galaxy but not 4G capable.

You have to buy an adapter to plug in USB. I'd get that some place other than the Verizon store.

One question I had was whether the tablet could also power a small external drive connected by USB. Verizon and the Best Buy people all said yes but I'd think it would be more efficient just to upload files off a PC then play on the tablet.

Last edited by kayak99; 07-26-11 at 11:19 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.