DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Tech Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk-10/)
-   -   I'm buying a TABLET tomorrow... any advice from my friends at DVDTalk?? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk/593023-im-buying-tablet-tomorrow-any-advice-my-friends-dvdtalk.html)

Sominex 07-28-11 12:31 AM

Re: I'm buying a TABLET tomorrow... any advice from my friends at DVDTalk??

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty (Post 10869808)
Very first feature listed on the Amazon page: Enhance productivity with the docking station's 92% sized QWERTY keyboard that adds additional 6.5 hours of battery life, to instantly turn the Transformer into PC mode with up to 16 hours of battery life.

Sorry if I am being DAFT but how am I supposed to CHARGE the "QWERTY keyboard" to "add an additional 6.5 hours of battery life"????

ALSO--

When you turn the tablet upide down, left, right etc, the content on the screen is supposed to "re-orientate". Sometimes it is slow to do so, or doesn't do it AT ALL! Any assistance please?? Thanks!

Any assista

Mr. Salty 07-28-11 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by Sominex (Post 10869830)
Sorry if I am being DAFT but how am I supposed to CHARGE the "QWERTY keyboard" to "add an additional 6.5 hours of battery life"????

I just looked at the manual online. The keyboard dock has a 40-pin connector on the left side of it. It'll look like the 40-pin dock connector on the side of the tablet itself. Plug the charger that came with the tablet into either port to charge that device. If the tablet is connected to the keyboard, obviously only the port on the side of the keyboard will be available.

Seriously, just look at pages 7, 8 and 12 of the owner's manual.

Living Dead 07-28-11 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by Sominex (Post 10869793)
I arrived at BestBUY around 6:50pm. I started looking at thee stuff I wanted to get. I was assisted by a very nice yiugnmn named "Daniel".

What the hell is a yiugnmn? Some kind of sasquatch? Did you snap a picture for the National Enquirer?

Josh-da-man 07-28-11 05:54 AM

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/187/4...fbb48cfb93.jpg

SmackDaddy 07-28-11 08:37 AM

[QUOTE=Sominex;10869817]

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy (Post 10869526)
SMACKDADDY
./QUOTE]

The instruction book for the transoformer AND the Docking station stink!

The "official" stats at BestBuy say it has BluRay, but I see nothing in the manual, am I missing something buddy??

==

Yeah, the documentation is pretty weak for both the tablet and dock.

You charge the keyboard dock with the tablet charger, it has it's own battery. When you plug in your Tablet, it will basically deplete the keyboard battery then your tablet battery, thus, doubling you battery life.

Well, it's not quite double, but it's pretty darn close.

GO BACK TO BEST BUY and have them give you $50 back. You were OVERCHARGED for the dock. It should be $149. Same thing happened to me, but I didn't snap to it until I was in the parking lot. I had researched pricing so I knew it was wrong when I looked over my receipt.

Show them their own website, or any site that sells the dock.

Sominex 07-28-11 06:39 PM

[QUOTE=SmackDaddy;10870013]

Originally Posted by Sominex (Post 10869817)

Yeah, the documentation is pretty weak for both the tablet and dock.

You charge the keyboard dock with the tablet charger, it has it's own battery. When you plug in your Tablet, it will basically deplete the keyboard battery then your tablet battery, thus, doubling you battery life.

Well, it's not quite double, but it's pretty darn close.

GO BACK TO BEST BUY and have them give you $50 back. You were OVERCHARGED for the dock. It should be $149. Same thing happened to me, but I didn't snap to it until I was in the parking lot. I had researched pricing so I knew it was wrong when I looked over my receipt.

Show them their own website, or any site that sells the dock.

Hey bud! Thanks so much for all your help!!

QUESTION ONE : Can I charge the Tablet while the keyboard is DOCKED TO the Tablet??

If so, will the both charge at the same time?

QUESTION TWO : And what kinda Blu-Tooth features do you recommend?

QUESTION THREE: Did you read my story about how I did NOT get the 'FULL' Staples $100 discount? They gave me $50 instead, and it's marked on the reciept, right under the line 'ASUS TF101-A1 TABLET, it says "50.00 DISC"

I just hope the service rep does not put me through the ordeal of explaining the "$50 credit" on the receipt was for a coupon match and NOT to correct the price of the "Keyboard Dock" In store it DOES say $199 on the shelf, but online $149, so I was gonna print out the web page

HOW DID YOU HANDLE IT BUDDY?? :) Any advice my friend?

THANKS!

You guys all rock!!

davidh777 07-29-11 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by Living Dead (Post 10869917)
What the hell is a yiugnmn? Some kind of sasquatch? Did you snap a picture for the National Enquirer?

That whole post was a little fuzzy. Can we blame it on the tablet? :lol:

SmackDaddy 07-29-11 12:33 PM

[QUOTE=Sominex;10870766]

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy (Post 10870013)

Hey bud! Thanks so much for all your help!!

QUESTION ONE : Can I charge the Tablet while the keyboard is DOCKED TO the Tablet??

If so, will the both charge at the same time?

QUESTION TWO : And what kinda Blu-Tooth features do you recommend?

QUESTION THREE: Did you read my story about how I did NOT get the 'FULL' Staples $100 discount? They gave me $50 instead, and it's marked on the reciept, right under the line 'ASUS TF101-A1 TABLET, it says "50.00 DISC"

I just hope the service rep does not put me through the ordeal of explaining the "$50 credit" on the receipt was for a coupon match and NOT to correct the price of the "Keyboard Dock" In store it DOES say $199 on the shelf, but online $149, so I was gonna print out the web page

HOW DID YOU HANDLE IT BUDDY?? :) Any advice my friend?

THANKS!

You guys all rock!!

Yes, according to what I have read, it will charge both at the same time.

Can't really recommend any as I don't use any.

Yes, that discount was on your tablet. If they were going to correct the price of the dock, it simply would have shown up as $149, no discount comment or anything.

You were overcharged, take your receipt and the dock back to the customer service counter, have them look it up online and you'll get the difference back.

Matthew Chmiel 07-29-11 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Sominex (Post 10868716)
[B][U]

1) What is this "Airplay" device I need to WIRELESS stream HD Video/AUDIO to a 720p widescreen TV?

2) 'GPS' is listed as a featrue, but how does it work w/o nationwide 3G / 4G or other nationwide wirekess.''

5. Can I wirelessly synch files from my tablet to my laptop, PC, TV XBOX, etc?

8. With the right receiver could could I play music in my car FROM my tablet?

9. MUST I use I-Tunes on the Tablet to play music??

10. Do any of the Tablets come with Miscrosoft Office? OR POSSIBLY something conparable?/ Like Lotrus Office?

11. Can I use mu HDMI and audio outs to give powerpoint prsentation? Going back to the orevious questions? Does it comees with any kind iff "PowerPoint program?

12) To the previous poster poster, what does TETHERING your mobilr-phone to you tablet accomplish?

1. AirPlay is Apple's way of streaming audio and video via the Airport Express, AppleTV and various other third-party devices that offer support for it. As of now, it only supports 720p, but iOS 5 has support for 1080p for video mirroring IIRC.

2. GPS on tablets require an Internet connection as they use triangulation to figure out where you are (bases upon IP address, location to nearest cell tower and satellites if the tablet has GPS built in like the iPad WiFi + 3G).

5. If you have software that supports it, yes.

8. Yes, like an AUX cable.

9. Yes. You can use the Spotify app on iOS to play music if you detest iTunes. Others have already mentioned Amazon MP3s too.

10. iWork on the iOS is wonderful and opens/saves Word, Excel and PowerPoint files.

11. The iOS supports presenting PowerPoint files with HDMI or VGA.

12. To save money, if your cell phone plan supports it, just tether or use your phone as a wireless hotspot thus not needing 3G in the tablet.

Mr. Salty 07-29-11 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel (Post 10872009)
2. GPS on tablets require an Internet connection as they use triangulation to figure out where you are (bases upon IP address, location to nearest cell tower and satellites if the tablet has GPS built in like the iPad WiFi + 3G).

To clarify your point, GPS on a tablet does not require an Internet connection. True GPS uses satellites. It can take advantage of cell tower proximity and IP address information to approximate your location if you're indoors or somewhere that the satellite signals are blocked, or if the tablet does not have a GPS receiver built in. iPads with 3G do have true GPS receivers and do not need an Internet connection.

10. iWork on the iOS is wonderful and opens/saves Word, Excel and PowerPoint files.
It's difficult to find in the app store by searching for iWork because Apple sells the tools as three separate apps --- Pages, Keynote and Numbers --- for $9.99 each.

Matthew Chmiel 07-30-11 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty (Post 10872132)
It's difficult to find in the app store by searching for iWork because Apple sells the tools as three separate apps --- Pages, Keynote and Numbers --- for $9.99 each.

It's actually not that hard to find at all...

http://i51.tinypic.com/2iut502.jpg

Mr. Salty 07-30-11 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel (Post 10872803)
It's actually not that hard to find at all...

If you scroll down and look at the quick links, no, but if someone just uses the search feature it won't come up as iWork, just the three separate apps. Sominex seems to have trouble with basic owner's manuals (no offense to Sominex), so I thought it best to clarify.

But in retrospect, all of this is moot because Sominex didn't buy an iPad. Instead he's going to need something like Quickoffice.

crazyronin 07-30-11 10:37 PM

ASUS' manual is rather lacking. Their online manual should be an app.

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Eee- ASUS Eee Pad Transformer TF101

CKMorpheus 07-30-11 10:55 PM

Well I love my iPad 2.

edstein 08-06-11 12:08 PM

The HP webOS tablet has dropped $100 and there is a $100 off coupon at Staples. Makes the price $299 for the 16gb version. Yet no one on this board is interested. Not good news for HP.

Supermallet 08-06-11 03:39 PM

The TouchPad has gotten mediocre reviews. Why should we be interested?

al_bundy 08-06-11 04:03 PM

$299 for a product with crappy software support and shady future support. Ok

Supermallet 08-06-11 05:21 PM

Also, I seem to recall the TouchPad wasn't eligible for the Staples coupon.

No, guess I was wrong: http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/05/h...ristmas-in-au/

Noonan 08-07-11 02:35 PM

I wanted to pick one up but no store within 100 miles of me had one in stock. That deal only works in store. I'm still tempted at $399.

Mr. Salty 08-07-11 03:55 PM

You can do a lot better for $399

edstein 08-07-11 10:33 PM

Nook Color FTW!

Ted Todorov 08-09-11 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 10869790)
If you took a broken iPad to Best Buy they'd tell you to pay for the work, too.

Yes but, you can take it to an Apple Store (and I to my knowledge they wouldn't care if you bought it at Best Buy or wherever).

Good luck finding an ASUS store, or a Motorola store or a …. store.

My story was with a Time Capsule with a bad Ethernet port, a year out of warranty. Not only did they replace it for free, they gave me one with a HD double the capacity of the original. And my wife got an iPhone 4 with a cracked glass replaced free.

YMMV, but with Apple you tend to get what you pay… and often more.

fumanstan 08-09-11 03:28 PM

Captain Apple to the rescue!

Deftones 08-09-11 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 10883811)
Captain Apple to the rescue!

:lol:

edstein 08-10-11 03:31 PM

Reports are coming in that the $100 price drop on the TouchPad is permanent. That's not going to sit well with early adopters. Unless HP plans on giving those people some free accessories or something.