Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

I'm buying a TABLET tomorrow... any advice from my friends at DVDTalk??

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

I'm buying a TABLET tomorrow... any advice from my friends at DVDTalk??

Old 07-26-11, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 421 Likes on 334 Posts
Re: I'm buying a TABLET tomorrow... any advice from my friends at DVDTalk??

The Galaxy 10.1 with 4G LTE is $529 w/ 2 year contract, it's robbery outright.

I have a Galaxy 10.1 and like it, would prefer it had microSD + usb ports but as it is, it's a well built device and I like the OS a lot better than iOS, though that's a matter of preference.
Old 07-26-11, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by edstein View Post
get an Ipad2. Everything else is shit.
Fixed that.

As much as I despise Apple, mostly due to fanboys, I'm planning on getting an iPad, my first Apple product, because Android tablets still haven't reached stability yet.

The only way you could do worse is by getting a Playbook or a Win 7 tablet.

Specs mean nothing when things don't always work.
Old 07-26-11, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
The Galaxy 10.1 with 4G LTE is $529 w/ 2 year contract, it's robbery outright.

I have a Galaxy 10.1 and like it, would prefer it had microSD + usb ports but as it is, it's a well built device and I like the OS a lot better than iOS, though that's a matter of preference.
Yes, it is robbery. Hopefully consumers will not bite and the price should drop.

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers View Post
Fixed that.

As much as I despise Apple, mostly due to fanboys, I'm planning on getting an iPad, my first Apple product, because Android tablets still haven't reached stability yet.

The only way you could do worse is by getting a Playbook or a Win 7 tablet.

Specs mean nothing when things don't always work.

Can you elaborate on the instability of Android? Thanks
Old 07-26-11, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You have apps made to support all sorts of hardware and OS versions compared to apps being made for something that's much more standard. That's the short answer. Apps working on some things but not others. I do have an Android, so I have my own experiences with it.

It seems like Google has started to become aware of the issue but you still have everyone and their mother putting out an android tablet with versions of the OS that may or may not be designed for tablets.
Old 07-26-11, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kayak99 View Post
Yes, it is robbery. Hopefully consumers will not bite and the price should drop.

Can you elaborate on the instability of Android? Thanks

not so much instability as the fact that the android market sucks compared to the app store and the ipad has a lot more apps and they are generally better quality than on android
Old 07-26-11, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 421 Likes on 334 Posts

^^ I was expecting to get pissed by the market but I've actually not ran into any issues with the apps I've downloaded thus far.

Of course once I had the basics (Netflix, web browser, Magazine Viewer, Adobe PDF, QuickOffice, SplashTop hd, and a few e-readers) I haven't really needed much else (outside of some games which all work fine sans Gameloft.)
Old 07-26-11, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
not so much instability
I'd say it's unstable when reading reviews there's a bunch of, "doesn't work on my device A", some "works on my device A". It seems like a crapshoot that I've been winning so far except for Netflix. I can play stuff, just as long as I don't want to see any video.

For tablets, there's lots of user reviews where there's a list of complaints about things not working or working poorly, followed by a line at the end saying things like it shows a lot of promise. I'd rather get the device that works great when I buy it and not sit there hoping things get fixed in updates. Take xoom as an example. I mean seriously, what the hell happened with that release?

Right now for a tablet, I'm all for an ipad, even with it's faults like itunes but if I wanted an android tablet, I'd just get a small laptop till they start to get stable. A new android just isn't for me at this point.
Old 07-26-11, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Suprmallet View Post
Have you considered the Toshiba Thrive? I believe it comes with almost everything you listed.
I read that they're fat, feel cheap, short battery life and occasionally go into a coma when it falls asleep. The only way to bring it out of the coma is to remove it's life support aka take out the battery and put it back in.

http://thisismynext.com/2011/07/22/t...thrive-review/
Old 07-26-11, 06:55 PM
Banned by request

I thought Toshiba released an OTA that fixed the sleep issue.

I have a first gen iPad but it doesn't sound like it has the features the OP wants. After reading up on the Transformer I'd say that's his best bet.
Old 07-26-11, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

NSFW due to language and Cartman's bare fat ass...

<embed src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:cms:item:southparkstudios.com:382794" width="360" height="293" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" base="." flashVars=""></embed>

HUMANCENTiPAD
Tags: SOUTH
PARK
Kyle Broflovski,Eric Cartman,more...

Old 07-26-11, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For this that hate iTunes on iPad, Amazonmp3 works really well. You can upload your music and play from the cloud. Not the same as having the music locally but it works.
Old 07-27-11, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Drexl View Post
I don't think we can discuss how to get your DVDs/BDs transcoded for viewing on the device. All I can say is to see if the digital copies will work.

I apologiz Drexl, had a momentary brain fair (lapse of judgement)

On a distant side note..... for the past 2 years... om & off, I've been an awful big d*ck to some of the people on here. For that I HOPE you forgive me. I was treated like an ass by a woman IRL and took it out on all your guys.

Sorry buds!

Well, back on track... I am gonna keep reading this post and chime in when necessary
Old 07-27-11, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy View Post
USE THE STAPLES $100 OFF COUPON!!!! It expires on 7/30/2011 and is for in store use only.

They will ORDER what you what you if it is not in stock and will honor the coupon. Also, Office Depot and Best Buy (will vary from store to store) are honoring the coupon.

I'll have to give another vote for the Transformer. I picked up both a Xoom (at staples with coupon)and Tranformer (at best buy with coupon price match).

While the Xoom is the most solid Android Tablet (construction quality) for me, the Transformer just felt right. I got the dock to go along with it and it's great, also nearly doubles your battery life.

I also like the built in network browser from Asus, MyNet. Saw my Iomega NAS drive right away!!

My advice, aside from using the coupon, is get the one that feels best in your hands since performance wise they are all very similar. I held them all: Xoom, Transformer, Iconia, Thrive, Galaxy, Coby...and the Transformer felt the most natural to me.

Hey Smack Daddy!!!

I heard about this $100 COUPON! How can I use it at BESTBUY? The Rep said since coupon was for $100 off the Transformer at STAPLES (which is $450, I could only get 50 $OFF THE OTHER MODELS B/C THEY WERE ONLY %5O LESS

The Sales Rep told me I could get also get 15% off all accessroies too! (at BESTBUT( I believe The Sales Rep and I were talking about the 'Acer ICONIA A-500 TABLET'
Regardless of the Tablet I get I'll get the $69.99 cobo kit withkeyboard, stand, and oter stuff

Last edited by Sominex; 07-27-11 at 03:09 AM.
Old 07-27-11, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

WOW!! THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!!!

Here's my follow up questions... and if you hear from you in enough in enough time today, I'll go out and get me my nre Table today!

Here goes!

1) What is this "Airplay" device I need to WIRELESS stream HD Video/AUDIO to a 720p widescreen TV?

2) 'GPS' is listed as a featrue, but how does it work w/o nationwide 3G / 4G or other nationwide wirekess.''

3) SpankDaddy, what elsse do you want your USB port to do other than transfer pictures and videos buddy?

4) How does the GPS (whch everyone raves about) work while driving/walking if you dont have any kinda nationwide 3G/4G plan ( basically just depdend on hotspots?

4. What BLU-TOOTH features do 'Transformer', Assuss' and 'ICONIA A-500 TABLET's have???

5. Can I wirelessly synch files from my tablet to my laptop, PC, TV XBOX, etc?

6. SMACKDADDY - YOU Seemed disssapointed in USB capabilities. What were you hoping for it it do buddy? (I'm still kinda new at all this new(

7. What types of things do the Bluetooth support in the TRANSFORMER,ASSUS and the 'Acer ICONIA A-500 TABLET' ???

8. With the right receiver could could I play music in my car FROM my tablet?

9. MUST I use I-Tunes on the Tablet to play music??

10. Do any of the Tablets come with Miscrosoft Office? OR POSSIBLY something conparable?/ Like Lotrus Office?

11. Can I use mu HDMI and audio outs to give powerpoint prsentation? Going back to the orevious questions? Does it comees with any kind iff "PowerPoint program?

12) To the previous poster poster, what does TETHERING your mobilr-phone to you tablet accomplish?
Old 07-27-11, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sominex View Post
2) 'GPS' is listed as a featrue, but how does it work w/o nationwide 3G / 4G or other nationwide wirekess.''

4) How does the GPS (whch everyone raves about) work while driving/walking if you dont have any kinda nationwide 3G/4G plan ( basically just depdend on hotspots?
GPS has nothing to do with Internet connectivity. It receives signals from military satellites to determine your location. There are Internet-based services that can then take advantage of this information, however, such as telling you what sorts of businesses are located near you.

8. With the right receiver could could I play music in my car FROM my tablet?
You'll need to connect the tablet to your car steroe somehow, just as with any other device. FM transmitter, etc.

9. MUST I use I-Tunes on the Tablet to play music??
Sorta depends on which tablet you get. iPads obvioulsy sync easiest with iTunes (and use an iPod-like app on the iPad to play music). But even with the iPad there are other music player apps.

10. Do any of the Tablets come with Miscrosoft Office? OR POSSIBLY something conparable?/ Like Lotrus Office?
The iPad doesn't come with it, but Apple's Pages app is Word compatible.

12) To the previous poster poster, what does TETHERING your mobilr-phone to you tablet accomplish?
You can use your phone's 3G (or 4G/LTE) connection that you're already paying for to connect the tablet to the Internet, rather than paying for a separate connection built into the tablet.
Old 07-27-11, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

-

How do I get BESTBUY to accept the "Staples" $100 OFF" Coupon for the Acer Iconaia A-500 or another model? The man at Bestbuy yesterday said I had to physically show them the add that officially showed the LOWER PRICE (Not just the regular price amd and then a coupon with it)

IDEAS?

IDEAS?
Old 07-27-11, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

This is not an advertised "sale" so there is no ad to show them.

To those trying to price match at best buy, your experience will vary by store. I asked for the store manager right when i walked in to avoid any misunderstanding. One store said no, the other said yes. They called a local staples to verify the coupon was legit and that was all she wrote.

Office depot will accept the coupon on the iconia and the playbook only.

The instore price for the transformer is $399 at staples.
Old 07-27-11, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Drop my ipad yesterday and crack the glass. My wife had it replaced at the Apple store this morning for no cost

Try to get this kind of support from best buy or staples or anyone who sells android tablets
Old 07-27-11, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
Fixed that for you.

/Fucking warranties, how do they work?
Old 07-27-11, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

officially apple doesn't cover accidental damage which this was, not even with apple care. i googled around and there are a lot of reports of apple doing this on a case by case basis though. never even bought applecare for my ipad

actually no one covers accidental damage unless you buy the extra warranty. if you don't have an extra warranty and take a xoom with broken glass to best buy they will tell you to pay for the work and how long will it take?
Old 07-27-11, 10:49 PM
Banned by request

If you took a broken iPad to Best Buy they'd tell you to pay for the work, too.
Old 07-27-11, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well I did it.....

It was quite an ordeal! All started out well. I arrived at BestBUY around 6:50pm. I started looking at thee stuff I wanted to get. I was assisted by a very nice yiugnmn named "Daniel". Within the first 15 minutes I mentioned thr $100 coupon from staples and he' said it would be fine. I always take note of everyone's name when I talked to employees. I told him "Shawn" the day before confirmed it and also told me about the 15% off accesories deal. He said not a problem. The $100 DISCOUNT came up several tmes during the conversation, and each time it was "fine" be a problem and/or "would not be a problem.

He was so busy with the extremely large crowd that it took till about 9:15 for He & I to finall start start getting down to business. We tried to factor in the appropriate acccessories to make the best use of my budget and we did, And after allllllll that, he went to to see his manager to get the $100 taken off the bill, and the manager said "No, we cant do it". Well, I went and had a word with him. I shook his hand, introduced myyself and thanks him for sitting down with me. I was very cool and collected and told him I was there for about TWO AND A HALF HOURS, under the imprression there was NO problem and the coupon would work.

We eventually split it down the middle and he took 50% off and I still got the 15% some of the accessories.

I had 2 choices at that point.. well 3....

1) Yell, scream, cause a scene and flip out = Nothing getting accomplised
2) Thank him for his time, leave, and then email the BBB (I've had to before and it worked in my favvor.... anout 6 momths later. oooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....

3) Ask him how he felt it was right that I was kept there 2.5 hours under the impression I WOULD DEFINITELY get my 100%. He told me he had to turn people away for the same situation, I then immediately told him what a bad situation he must have been in and how he must have felt crappy and then angry b/c 2 of them flipped out and caused a scene. He thanked me for understanding and said " I met the 3rd person 1/2 way through and gave him 50% off and I'm happy to do the same for you TJ. We shook hands and it was a deal.

Point of the story "Dont be the big a$$hole customer who caused a big scene in the middle off the store, even if you[I]are [I] in the right.

So, anyway, here is what I got......

1) ASUS Transformer Tablet = $349.99 ($50 off)
2) ASUS TF101 Docking Station = $199.99
This thing is GREAT!!! It adds a kayboard/mouse touch pad, a new set of TWO (2) USB ports, a high speed memory card reader (supports MicroSD on up) and of course the qwerty kayboard and touchpad.

3)Sony Movie/Streaming Player (unrelated to the above). I hook it up to my video source via HDMI (or comoarable) and it used it's internal WiFi ti broadcase movies/Music other TV's in the house

4) Got a nifty carrting case for it.

QUESTION::::::

The sales rep said the external keyboard had it's own battery source to supply the tablet. I dont see this anywhere in the literaterure. ANYONE have any knowledge on this?
Old 07-27-11, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Very first feature listed on the Amazon page: Enhance productivity with the docking station's 92% sized QWERTY keyboard that adds additional 6.5 hours of battery life, to instantly turn the Transformer into PC mode with up to 16 hours of battery life.
Old 07-27-11, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy View Post

While the Xoom is the most solid Android Tablet (construction quality) for me, the Transformer just felt right. I got the dock to go along with it and it's great, also nearly doubles your battery life.
Hey SmackDaddy! You've been very helpful, thank you!

Here's another question... the Sales Rep at BestBuy told me the Keyboard Dock almost doubled the battery life too.

How is this possible? In order to charge the Transformer, I have to plug the CHARGER where the DOCK would normally go.

Can you explain this to me?

Thanks!
Old 07-27-11, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

[QUOTE=SmackDaddy;10869526]
SMACKDADDY
./QUOTE]

The instruction book for the transoformer AND the Docking station stink!

The "official" stats at BestBuy say it has BluRay, but I see nothing in the manual, am I missing something buddy??

==

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.