Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

what would you consider a " high resolution image" from a wedding photographer?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-19-11, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before I tell you my photographers answer, what would YOU think should be the megapixel count of wedding photos advertised to be " high resolution"?

Let me add that these are photos provided to me on a data DVD.

Last edited by vwbeetlvr; 07-19-11 at 02:09 PM.
Old 07-19-11, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 661 Likes on 534 Posts
Re: what would you consider a " high resolution image" from a wedding photographer?

Considering the resolution of "high definition" is currently 1920x1080 which is 2 MP I'd have to go with that since I'm assuming it's a shockingly low number.

That said, I would say a minimum 6MP, though I would request whatever the resolution they were shot in (generally a minimum of 12 mp) in RAW format.
Old 07-19-11, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: what would you consider a " high resolution image" from a wedding photographer?

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Considering the resolution of "high definition" is currently 1920x1080 which is 2 MP I'd have to go with that since I'm assuming it's a shockingly low number.

That said, I would say a minimum 6MP, though I would request whatever the resolution they were shot in (generally a minimum of 12 mp) in RAW format.
If I read high resolution and it wasn't the top tier they offered, I'd guesss 4-6 MP. If it was the top tier they offered, I'd expect RAW.
Old 07-19-11, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't 'consider' anything.

I would know exactly what they meant by that term before hiring someone to photograph a/my wedding.
Old 07-19-11, 02:25 PM

He provided me with 3 DVDs. Each had the same 620ish images at 1202 x 802 resolution totalling less than 400 megabytes. Once my video and album get here, i am going to get what I paid for. His explanation is that they are " hi resolution enough" to print out 4x6 prints. If want to buy blowups I need to buy them from their online photo album. I just want high resolution images to show my kids in 15 years not to bypass his printing business. It's the exact same reason why I paid extra to upgrade the video to high definition.

Last edited by vwbeetlvr; 07-19-11 at 02:39 PM.
Old 07-19-11, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 792 Likes on 559 Posts

if it's not in the contract, you are kind of screwed. we got an entire dvd disc with our pictures and we made sure they were raw or the highest jpegs her camera allowed since we didn't want any printouts from her. we just wanted the pics and she obliged.
Old 07-19-11, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 661 Likes on 534 Posts

Yeah thats how they make their money. Still, that's pretty low res for anything, that isn't even a megapixel.
Old 07-19-11, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

did your photographer have a prosumer DSLR or one of those professional quality crazy expensive cameras with a bag full of lenses and those shell like light reflecting things they use for the flash?

back when i got married years ago my guy said the same thing, he keeps the originals and negatives and we have to buy from him anything else we may want
Old 07-19-11, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Yeah thats how they make their money. Still, that's pretty low res for anything, that isn't even a megapixel.
My first email in regards to this situation politely informed him that my first digital camera from 1997 had higher resolution images than what he provided us.
Old 07-19-11, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
did your photographer have a prosumer DSLR or one of those professional quality crazy expensive cameras with a bag full of lenses and those shell like light reflecting things they use for the flash?
He absolutely did. Both photographers he sent had Canon dslrs.
Old 07-19-11, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

do you mind sharing who you hired? the one i used years ago is now working out of NJ
Old 07-19-11, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
That doesn't mean much. My Canon point-and-shoot is 10MP, and all but Canon's cheapest DSLR starts at 15MP. And any prosumer DSLR has interchangeable lenses.

back when i got married years ago my guy said the same thing, he keeps the originals and negatives and we have to buy from him anything else we may want
That's what's going on here. Speaking as a former professional photographer (although I've only shot a handful of weddings), I can tell you that reprints are where the photographer makes his money. He doesn't want to give up the highest resolution files because the OP would have no need to order large prints from him.

In the end, the only thing that counts is what was in the contract. Some photographers will give up negs or original digital files for a higher fee, but all of that needed to be discussed when the photographer was hired.
Old 07-19-11, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
if it's not in the contract, you are kind of screwed. we got an entire dvd disc with our pictures and we made sure they were raw or the highest jpegs her camera allowed since we didn't want any printouts from her. we just wanted the pics and she obliged.
yeah, it's whatever the contract says, there is no definition for high resolution.