Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Need some help on dell computer problem.

Old 07-18-11, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Need some help on dell computer problem.

My friends computer keeps having this problem. When she logs on to her computer, within 5 minutes the monitor goes blank. The computer is still on but no picture.
I switched monitors and it still happened. I put a new hard drive in and reinstalled the OS win 7 and the monitor still goes black.
I cleaned the computer took out the cards and put it back in, still nothing.
What do you guys think i should do or what do you think the problem might be?
Old 07-18-11, 02:52 PM
X
Administrator

Re: Need some help on dell computer problem.

Is a power options setting turning it off? Is there a setting for it in the BIOS? Does it turn off if it's being used or just sitting idle?
Old 07-18-11, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The above, and also, is there a video card, or is it integrated video?

BTW, changing out a hard drive is never the thing to do for a a monitor going blank.
Old 07-18-11, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You can also try booting it into Safe Mode and seeing if it still happens. If not, then you know it is something outside the basic windows configuration and is a software, driver, or setting that would normally launch that is likely the root.
Old 07-18-11, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

please list the model of computer (be exact) and list the model of the monitor (be exact)

Also, list which cable you are using to connect (the newer dell's have 3 options)

This may be a bug that Dell has yet to fix, I have seen it many many times in recent months.
Old 07-18-11, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post
please list the model of computer (be exact) and list the model of the monitor (be exact)

Also, list which cable you are using to connect (the newer dell's have 3 options)

This may be a bug that Dell has yet to fix, I have seen it many many times in recent months.
And a picture of your female "friend" that needs assistance.
Old 07-18-11, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by roger_d View Post
My friends computer keeps having this problem. When she logs on to her computer, within 5 minutes the monitor goes blank. The computer is still on but no picture.
In addition to telling us the exact computer and monitor model numbers, as well as information about the graphics card, is this a new computer or has she had it a while? When did this problem start? Did she make any changes to the computer or its software around the time this started?
I put a new hard drive
I hope your friend didn't pay for a new hard drive because you didn't know how to diagnose the problem. I can't fathom why anyone would think replacing the hard drive would fix the problem you're describing.
Old 07-19-11, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for all the suggestions, to answer few since i'm at work. She uses windows xp. The reason she uses XP is that she uses it to connect to her place of work and only xp works for the software that her job uses. I didn't want to mess anything up on that specific hard drive so i just got her a new hard drive and installed win 7 on it for her.
She took it to someone to look at and they told her the xp hard drive is bad but how can that be if i installed windows 7 on a new hard drive and the montor still goes out. I tried various monitors and it still happens.
It has to be a hardware issue. I'll try some of the suggestions that is given and get back to you guys.
Old 07-19-11, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

She took it to someone to look at and they told her the xp hard drive is bad but how can that be if i installed windows 7 on a new hard drive and the montor still goes out. I tried various monitors and it still happens.
Could be the drive has bad blocks or some corruption but that is completely unrelated to graphics issue. Could be that individual doesn't have a clue.

It has to be a hardware issue. I'll try some of the suggestions that is given and get back to you guys.

Why does it have to be a hardware issue?