Reload this Page >

Digital Cameras

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Digital Cameras

Old 06-17-11, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts
Digital Cameras

Well it's time I find a new digital camera, I've been looking at the Sony CyberShot DSC-HX9 but there seems to be decidedly mixed reactions to the photo quality (with animous praise for the video).

I previously owned a Panasonic Lumix ZS7 and loved the features but was never truly blown away by the image quality (which was still quite good), I hear the ZS10 was an actual step backwards with regards to the image quality and so I'm avoiding that route.

Looking for a good quality travel zoom (12 - 16x optic zoom on a pocketable camera). Anyone used the ZS10 or HX9?
Old 06-17-11, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Digital Cameras

I think the HX9V beats my ZS3 in terms of picture quality, (and I know it does for manual control) but I still like the vividness of the ZS3 video and the ZS3 has better audio (esp in High Volume Situations).

I always liked Sony's picture quality, and have never been blown away by the picture quality of the Panasonic...I would try the Sony...(it's probably my next camera)
Old 06-17-11, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks, yeah the HX9V looks like the way to go. Shame they don't drop in price like the current gen Lumix cameras do.
Old 06-17-11, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sony had a 15% off deal not long ago. It was $295 with the discount. I almost pulled the trigger on it since I had some concerts coming up.
Old 06-17-11, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I've been reading, the ZS10 has gotten terrible reviews for image quality. A real step down from the predecessors. It's too bad too because I loved the ZS7 for it's quality/versatility.

Here is a good comparison review: http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/co...a-zoom-cameras

Looks like image quality goes more for the Canon PowerShot SX230 HS. Of course that's according to this review. I've seen other sites that rate the DSC-HX9 highest of the three. Personally I'd lean towards Canon in terms of image quality over Sony, but the DSC-HX9 has some really killer features (such as the sweep-panorama mode).
Old 07-16-11, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just got delivery of my new Sony HX9V. I got a screaming deal so I couldn't pass it up. If you visit the U2 threads you know I shoot lots of video with my ZS3 so I am excited about these upgrade...
Old 03-25-12, 05:41 PM

My pictures with this camera are distorted at the edges, with people appearing wider than they actually are. Is there some way to fix this?
Old 03-27-12, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a ZS7 and think it is a fine camera as point and shoot cameras go.

I have a hard time believing that another camera is going to give you a lot better results.

How are your settings? What is your processing for your images? This was shot with a ZS7

Old 03-27-12, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

that picture isnt very good. maybe its just because you were focused on the leaves in the background (at least that what it looks like) and not the flower. but the flower is horribly soft and dull looking.
Old 03-27-12, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sony HX9V
Old 03-27-12, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I kept waiting for the HX9V to drop in price, it never really did Though now that the HX10V is available, maybe it will (Similar to the ZS10 vs the ZS7, the HX10V is actually inferior to the HX9V).
Old 03-27-12, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm waiting for the hx20v
Old 03-28-12, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
I kept waiting for the HX9V to drop in price, it never really did Though now that the HX10V is available, maybe it will (Similar to the ZS10 vs the ZS7, the HX10V is actually inferior to the HX9V).
Well, it got down to the $250 range (which is what I paid when it was still kinda new) but I wouldn't think it would get much lower than that...

HX20V is the one to get. the 10 is actually not as nice as the 9.
Old 03-31-12, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm somewhat interested in a getting a prosumer camera. I don't want a DSLR even tho I'm most familiar. I don't was the them due to size. Also not really interested in a superzoom, again mainly due to size, but wouldn't dismiss it in the more compact form.

What are 4-5 models to look at? I'm thinking along the lines of the Olympus Pen, Nikon 1, etc. Something compact with interchangeable lens. But I know something like the Canon G's have a long history, so I wouldn't dismiss a non-interchangeable lens if it had a wide angle (24mm in a 35 mm format) and was good quality.

I do have a photography background. My last film camera was a Nikon N90s. Since then I really just have done cheap point and shoot, but looking for perhaps something a little more. But don't believe I want to go full bore DSLR (tho I was surprised how small that Nikon 3100 is).
Old 04-01-12, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Anyone have experience with the Sony NEX? For price I'm looking at the 3 (looks like main differences between the 3 and 5 are the metal body and better video. That Photo image quality is identical).

Only initial drawback I see is no built in flash. But evidently does low light well and I'm use to use an external on on previous camera's.
Old 04-02-12, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i think there are 2 nex 5 - nex5 and nex5n
The 5N and 7 have gotten some amazing reviews and are a step up in terms of PQ from the 3.
i am looking at the 7, but waiting to see if the price will drop since it just came out.
Old 04-02-12, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by timewaster View Post
i think there are 2 nex 5 - nex5 and nex5n
The 5N and 7 have gotten some amazing reviews and are a step up in terms of PQ from the 3.
i am looking at the 7, but waiting to see if the price will drop since it just came out.
It seems really close in pic quality between the two. This article even menttion the 3 being better in low light.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2394903,00.asp

But this one gives the edge to the 5n (by 10%)

http://snapsort.com/compare/Sony-NEX-5N-vs-Sony-NEX-C3

I do see where in addition to the metal body and better video, the 5 has a touch screen, lower shutter lag and fast bust mode. The article mentions $50 difference and I'd get the 5n if that were the case. But I'm finding it more to be $150+ difference. That is a lot to me as the c3 is at the upper end of my budget already.

Maybe I just need to find a deal on the 5n. I'm looking to pic at the end of the month, so not in a hurry
Old 04-03-12, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

since there are cameras, not computers, i would read more review sites dedicated to cameras.
The 5N and 7 have gotten rave reviews. The C3 not as much.
The 5N just came out this year, i double you will get a good deal on it right now.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonynex5n

http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/con...ons-Review.htm
Old 04-03-12, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm curious as to what you see when you say the C3 "not as much". From your own link, they give the C3 a 74 and 5N a 79

Image Quality

The NEX-C3's image quality is excellent. The new 16.2MP sensor employed in the C3 is capable of capturing images that rival the best APS-C format DSLRs on the market, and up to ISO 6400 image quality is impressive. Even at ISO 12,800, image quality is perfectly acceptable for online use and for small prints, and far ahead of most of the C3's Micro Four Thirds competitors.

http://www.dpreview.com/products/com...cts=sony_nex5n

I'm not trying to be argumentative. I'm just curious if there is really something wrong or an issue with the C3 that I'm missing. I was going to stick to $500, but this was getting such good reviews and I'd love to get back into interchangeable lenses (even tho I likely would not get more than 3-4 total).

I have found a few places where the difference with the zoom is only $100. And without lens my $70 difference.

The 5N does sound fantastic. And I might pop for it. Its just it seems like the C3 would be far and above anything in the $500 range (in a compact camera) and above anything I have used since a film camera.

As for discount, my company has arrangements with some supplies so I need to check. Tho Sony direct has a deal for the C3 w/2 lenses and memory card.
Old 04-04-12, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

sorry, i was getting confused with the sony 5. which got so-so reviews.

I believe the c3 is missing some features like 1080p video, touch screen (useful for focusing) and a few other things i can't remember. Not sure if they are important to you.

you are lucky to get a discount with sony.
that would help alot with the 7 costing $1350 with the kit lens which i am considering.

btw, this is an awesome video from a sony engineer going over the NEX.
its quite long but i found it really interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co2Qa9y_1Ns
Old 04-05-12, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

from what i hear the nikon 1 is shit compared to the others.