Reload this Page >

Video is eating up my HD space.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-25-11, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've looked all over for help on this one, so I figured I'd ask the experts here.

currently using Win7 and IE9 as my browser. Since I don't have a tv, I tend to watch a lot of Youtube, and various online game streams. ATM I have about 6 Gb on my C: drive. After a couple of hours watching, I start getting 'Out of space' messages, and a short time later the video grinds to a hault as I'm out of HD space. Doing all the Windows and IE free disk space methods restores a few hundred Mb, but it takes a full system reboot to get my 6Gb's back.

I'm guessing the video is being cached somewhere, but can't seen to find a setting to prevent it or clear it. Any suggestions?
Old 05-25-11, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Video is eating up my HD space.

Here's an idea.

Install Sandboxie. When you run IE via the Sandboxie shortcut it captures any files written to the disk in the sandbox folder. You could use this to find out where the videos are being cached because the folder has the same structure as the C: drive but will only contain files the browser wrote to the disc.

But you don't even need to do that, instead you can have Sandboxie automatically delete the sandbox when you close IE. You can use the sandboxed IE as your video viewer. It can be used as a more secure regular browser too, but you do have to workaround some issues like saving files outside the sandbox.
Old 05-25-11, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

From my experience, the Move Networks player plug-in caches to your application data folder in your user profile. ABC and the CW used to require this plug-in to watch video, but I don't think that's the case now.

Do you have that player plug-in?
Old 05-25-11, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Regardless of any complicated things to do ... you MUST free up hard drive space. Having only 6 GB free (where most drives are 250+) can't be good for your computer to run well, especially streaming video. There must be things you can archive, either on DVDRs or an external hard drive.