Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

hotmail sucks

Old 05-11-11, 09:25 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts
hotmail sucks

Can someone explain to me why the hotmail e-mail servers seem to go down around 10am almost every single fucking day for about an hour for "maintenance"?
Old 05-11-11, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 189 Posts
Re: hotmail sucks

Can you tell us why you always try to check your hotmail while they're doing maintenance?
Old 05-11-11, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1998 called, it wants its realization back.
Old 05-11-11, 09:29 AM

Received 155 Likes on 112 Posts

It's 2011. Can you tell us why you didn't stop using Hotmail at least a decade ago?
Old 05-11-11, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 189 Posts

Hotmail is still a valuable source of disposable addresses.
Old 05-11-11, 09:37 AM
Admin

Received 299 Likes on 193 Posts

The awesome thing now is that since Micro$oft bought Yahoo, they're now trying to change Yahoo mail to function more like hotmail. So instead of being able to scroll all the way to the bottom of an email within a Java window and still have the delete button available, I now have to scroll all the way back to the top of the message and then delete it just like hotmail. Thanks for the step backwards boys!
Old 05-11-11, 09:40 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

why? simple. it would be too much of a pain in the ass to change all the other things my email address is now associated with. then again, not being able to access my email when I want it is also a pain in the ass.
Old 05-11-11, 10:00 AM

Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts

Just forward it to a gmail account. People can still get ahold of you, but you can use a better interface.
Old 05-11-11, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

www.gmail.com
Old 05-11-11, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Just forward it to a gmail account. People can still get ahold of you, but you can use a better interface.
Groucho isn't trying to trick you here. This is true gospel. Just set up a GMail account and have it fetch the hotmail. It can even send it as if it went from the Hotmail.

Then just over time identify those that you wish to truly have your new GMail and update those.

I'm baffled anytime I see someone still sending from a Hotmail address. The only thing worse would be an aol.
Old 05-11-11, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 156 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Nefarious View Post
Groucho isn't trying to trick you here.
"Everything I say is a lie."
Old 05-11-11, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger View Post
Hotmail is still a valuable source of disposable addresses.
Yes it is.

I'm baffled anytime I see someone still sending from a Hotmail address. The only thing worse would be an aol.
I like the AOL interface and still use a few addresses from there. They are literally 100% spam-free accounts for years now.

I would easily say AOL and Gmail are the best.

Just a heads up, some of you might check out Hushmail if you haven't. That's also useful for stuff. Privacy based webmail service.
Old 05-11-11, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
You seriously think you can recommend and alternate email service - by name - and he's going to actually even consider it?

Old 05-11-11, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse View Post

I like the AOL interface and still use a few addresses from there. They are literally 100% spam-free accounts for years now.
You're probably over 50, too.
Old 05-11-11, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i have the same problem.
using hotmail and too much of a pain to switch to another email.
from what i remember, hotmail does not allow you to forward email to other systems (google,yahoo). It only allows you to forward to another hotmail account.
Old 05-11-11, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by timewaster View Post
i have the same problem.
from what i remember, hotmail does not allow you to forward email to other systems (google,yahoo). It only allows you to forward to another hotmail account.
That can't be right. That doesn't sound like the Microsoft I know.
Old 05-11-11, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't use hotmail but I use Yahoo mail, another one that's also criticized because it's not gmail, and it works fine for me.

But most of the time I just read email in my iPhone, where all my email accounts are concentrated in one mailbox. But then again I don't receive that much email.
Old 05-11-11, 11:24 AM

Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by timewaster View Post
i have the same problem.
You may be right. I just checked my gmail settings and it turns out that I'm getting my msn email via pop3, not from a forward. Same concept, just there's a 30 minute delay.

Edit: Hotmail does indeed have an email forwarding option, and it works with any email address.
Old 05-11-11, 11:29 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by emanon View Post
You seriously think you can recommend and alternate email service - by name - and he's going to actually even consider it?

Old 05-11-11, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 835 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
The awesome thing now is that since Micro$oft bought Yahoo, they're now trying to change Yahoo mail to function more like hotmail. So instead of being able to scroll all the way to the bottom of an email within a Java window and still have the delete button available, I now have to scroll all the way back to the top of the message and then delete it just like hotmail. Thanks for the step backwards boys!
Not sure if this was meant to be a joke, but MS didn't buy Yahoo...
Old 05-11-11, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 395 Likes on 191 Posts

I've been using an address at mail.com for fourteen years. I get some spam but it blocks most of it. I've been happy with it. You might try there.
Old 05-11-11, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse View Post
Yes it is.

I would easily say AOL and Gmail are the best.

Just a heads up, some of you might check out Hushmail if you haven't. That's also useful for stuff. Privacy based webmail service.
You're probably over 50, too.
Still have an AOL email account as well. I don't mind it. I sign up for everything online with it, it filters a large amount of spam, and it keeps my gmail account, which I use for work/networking purposes, clear of any spam.

I also have a slight attachment to an email address I have had for at least 12 years.
Old 05-11-11, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I still use hotmail as my primary e-mail account. After eleven years, it has a lot of sentimental value.
Old 05-11-11, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 427 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
Microsoft didn't buy Yahoo (they tried and failed). Though they did step it backwards with the newest beta -- I think they're trying to mimic Facebook more than Hotmail.

Have you tried the Preview Pane mode ? Still no delete on the bottom but at least you don't have to scroll to the top. You can also just hit Delete on the keyboard.

Click Options -> Mail Options -> General -> Messages -> Set it to "Show all messages in a scrolling list (with Preview Pane option)" and be sure to hit Save Changes.

(I use Yahoo! for my spam accounts. Gmail for my primary.)

Last edited by RichC2; 05-11-11 at 02:29 PM.
Old 05-11-11, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 41 Likes on 23 Posts

To be honest (and when the hell did Microsoft by Yahoo? I'm seriously asking) I think hotmail and the new yahoo mail are a step forward (big step) from what they use to be. Hey, at least they no longer put a stupid signature in every one of your messages for advertising.

With that said, I have noticed major issues over the last year with hotmail performance.....it sucks big time.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.