Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

make your appletv device actually useful with xbmc!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-21-11, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://lifehacker.com/5739364/how-to...our-apple-tv-2

3 easy steps and you don't have to use itunes for everything. and you can play 1080p.
Old 01-21-11, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
Re: make your appletv device actually useful with xbmc!

Originally Posted by crankyman View Post
and you can play 1080p.
From what I've read, it can decode 1080p, but output/playback is still limited to 720p. There is some question as to whether this is a hardware or iOS limitation.
Old 01-21-11, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 835 Likes on 660 Posts

What's the advantage of getting this over a Linux or Windows based HTPC? I'm not thread crapping, just wondering, as I thought the actual software was the draw of this machine for whomever bought it.
Old 01-21-11, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess the size. ATV2 fits in your hand. It includes wireless and HDMI output. Any HTPC able to do that would cost at least twice the price and it will be bigger.
Old 01-21-11, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

playing with it on my ipad now
waiting for a damn windows jailbreak for the atv2.. seas0npass says its coming soon

works pretty well on the ipad
streaming is very nice from my main machine

the problem Ive run into so far.. I added a video library, but only see the first 13 folders and cant figure out how to scroll down or change pages
but at the bottom, it shows all 23 folders and says Im on page 1 of 2.
Old 01-21-11, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
What's the advantage of getting this over a Linux or Windows based HTPC? I'm not thread crapping, just wondering, as I thought the actual software was the draw of this machine for whomever bought it.
for most people.. comparing to an htpc is apples to oranges
most people dont want a computer hooked up to their tv and all the hassle of getting and keeping everything working right..
they want a simple device that just connects and works

would be easier to compare this to wdtv, roku, etc...
Old 01-22-11, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by twikoff View Post
playing with it on my ipad now
waiting for a damn windows jailbreak for the atv2.. seas0npass says its coming soon

works pretty well on the ipad
streaming is very nice from my main machine

the problem Ive run into so far.. I added a video library, but only see the first 13 folders and cant figure out how to scroll down or change pages
but at the bottom, it shows all 23 folders and says Im on page 1 of 2.
on closer look.. found a really faint scrollbar on the right side of the folder list
was too faint to see at first
Old 01-22-11, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

on closer look.. found a really faint scrollbar on the right side of the folder list
was too faint to see at first
You are browsing your vids in file mode... you need to use library mode! Makes a huge difference.
Old 01-24-11, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 835 Likes on 660 Posts

for most people.. comparing to an htpc is apples to oranges
most people dont want a computer hooked up to their tv and all the hassle of getting and keeping everything working right..
they want a simple device that just connects and works

would be easier to compare this to wdtv, roku, etc...
So setup for xbmc on appletv is simpler than on an htpc? I figured it was exactly the same.
Old 01-24-11, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
So setup for xbmc on appletv is simpler than on an htpc? I figured it was exactly the same.
naww, dealing with an appletv (or any of these devices) is much simpler (and cheaper) than dealing with a full htpc..

its an appliance rather than a computer
Old 01-25-11, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

I got this running on my ATV2 and so far so good
Old 02-02-11, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 98 Likes on 85 Posts

So I've been thinking on again off again about getting the new Apple TV when I read this,

3. Network
AirPort Extreme, Wi-Fi 802.11b, 802.11g, or 802.11n wireless network (wireless video streaming requires 802.11g or 802.11n)
or
10/100BASE-T Ethernet network
and
Broadband Internet connection (DSL, Cable, LAN)

So my poor old "B" router won't work with it for Netflix? I'll need to upgrade that? Yea, I know why on earth do I still have a B router. Well it has always just worked. But I'm not sure why I would need a new router. B is what 11 MBS? My net speed isn't anywhere near that (we just upgraded to 3!).

?

Last edited by Sdallnct; 02-02-11 at 11:15 PM.
Old 02-03-11, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
So I've been thinking on again off again about getting the new Apple TV when I read this,

3. Network
AirPort Extreme, Wi-Fi 802.11b, 802.11g, or 802.11n wireless network (wireless video streaming requires 802.11g or 802.11n)
or
10/100BASE-T Ethernet network
and
Broadband Internet connection (DSL, Cable, LAN)

So my poor old "B" router won't work with it for Netflix? I'll need to upgrade that? Yea, I know why on earth do I still have a B router. Well it has always just worked. But I'm not sure why I would need a new router. B is what 11 MBS? My net speed isn't anywhere near that (we just upgraded to 3!).

?
The practical speed of an 802.11b router is much lower than 11Mbps due to protocol overhead (link) and can further degrade from interference in the 2.4GHz band. That said, if I were you I'd just get the Apple TV and see if streaming works. If it doesn't, you can always pick up a new router. They're not very expensive these days.

Edited to add: if your ISP service is only 3Mbps, you're probably not going to get HD streaming from Netflix no matter what router you have.
Old 02-03-11, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kefrank View Post
The practical speed of an 802.11b router is much lower than 11Mbps due to protocol overhead (link) and can further degrade from interference in the 2.4GHz band. That said, if I were you I'd just get the Apple TV and see if streaming works. If it doesn't, you can always pick up a new router. They're not very expensive these days.

Edited to add: if your ISP service is only 3Mbps, you're probably not going to get HD streaming from Netflix no matter what router you have.
This is my worry. I don't get HD netflix now on PS3. But it is on the other end of the house. In the living room using the Wii for netflix which is not a very user friendly experience.

So none of the newer devices build enough buffer for HD on slower speeds? Guess that would basically be a d/l and need a hard drive.

When my wife called about our net speed we had the lowest (we have had it for nearly 6 years so probably all they had). They said they could upgrade up to the "fastest in our area" for only $5.00. My wife thought she mentioned 3 Mbps and that makes sense as when I do a speed test I get a little over 2.5 now (use to regularly get about .75!). When I look on line they show they have a 6 Mbps option, but then it might not be available in our area...so I'm guess 3 is as fast as I'm getting unless want to go with another setup.
Old 02-03-11, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Hope this doesn't offend the apple crowd but this would be a good deal too.
http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...D=1376258&SID=
$45 after rebate.

Plays more formats that appletv and no itunes required.
Old 02-03-11, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers View Post
Hope this doesn't offend the apple crowd but this would be a good deal too.
http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...D=1376258&SID=
$45 after rebate.

Plays more formats that appletv and no itunes required.
doesnt offend me.. but i primarily picked the atv2 over the other options because of the integration with my other apple devices (ipad, touch, etc..)

but as far as plays more formats..
this thread is about loading XBMC.. which means would be a jailbroken atv2 running xbmc.. so really no limit on which formats to run, and no itunes required.
Old 02-03-11, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is my worry. I don't get HD netflix now on PS3. But it is on the other end of the house. In the living room using the Wii for netflix which is not a very user friendly experience.

So none of the newer devices build enough buffer for HD on slower speeds? Guess that would basically be a d/l and need a hard drive.
I don't think it has much to do with any particular device's buffering abilities. Netflix checks your current connection speed and upgrades or downgrades the resolution and compression accordingly, I believe.
Old 02-03-11, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk God

I don't think it has much to do with any particular device's buffering abilities. Netflix checks your current connection speed and upgrades or downgrades the resolution and compression accordingly, I believe.
this is correct
netflix quaity is going to depend on signal strength and speed.. not on the device you are using for streaming

as far as a 'download' even to cache.. i think that starts to get into copyright questions
Old 02-03-11, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well that sucks. Not a huge deal in the living room. But would have liked HD in the media room. SD doesn't look great on a 94" screen. Especially on my front row at 11.5'.

But truth be told, I was watching Ground Hog day with son and wife today and it wasn't terrible. I swear better than SD Dish Network. Could the netflix output be variable? Meaning maybe not 720p but not as bad as 480?
Old 02-03-11, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

But truth be told, I was watching Ground Hog day with son and wife today and it wasn't terrible. I swear better than SD Dish Network. Could the netflix output be variable? Meaning maybe not 720p but not as bad as 480?
I'm fairly certain Netflix doesn't output a resolution between 480p and 720p, but the compression level could definitely vary. Also, a small tip: I've noticed that selecting stereo audio instead of 5.1 when it's an option can make the difference between SD and HD video if you're on the cusp.
Old 02-04-11, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

I'm fairly certain Netflix doesn't output a resolution between 480p and 720p, but the compression level could definitely vary. Also, a small tip: I've noticed that selecting stereo audio instead of 5.1 when it's an option can make the difference between SD and HD video if you're on the cusp.
Back in the day, so I might be off by a number, there were 3 or 4 settings plus 1 more for HD. You can get to a debug menu on a Roku box and set what you want to "force" Netflix to stream at, so there are different settings for SD and 1 for HD.

I'm sure there's more stats on what they each do over at the roku forums but this was way back when it first came out.
Old 02-05-11, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers View Post
Back in the day, so I might be off by a number, there were 3 or 4 settings plus 1 more for HD. You can get to a debug menu on a Roku box and set what you want to "force" Netflix to stream at, so there are different settings for SD and 1 for HD.
I have to think those are compression levels and not different resolutions though. On the set-top boxes at least, it wouldn't make much sense to stream a resolution that isn't native on any display. But I've never actually looked into it, so I could certainly be wrong.
Old 02-13-11, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk God

greenpois0n released an untetheed atv2 jailbreak for windows users yesterday
took all of 2 mins to jailbreak, and another 30 secs to load xbmc..

now this device is what apple should have made it
Old 02-13-11, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk God

reviewing through the available jailbreak apps
nice to see there is one to enable bluetooth