Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Talk to me about MobileMe - Update iPhone with no computer?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-12-11, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Can you update the iPhone with music/movies via MobileMe without a Computer?

I'm considering a Tablet as a laptop replacement for when I travel. But when I travel I do so for 3-6 weeks at a time. And I regularly (like a couple times a week) like to change up music/movies. Could I do this with MobileMe without a computer?

99% of the time I use my netbook for net surfing/email/net shopping AND moving the 1,500 or so songs and 12 or so movies around on my iPhone and iPod (I could live without updating iPod. I only use it for a back up or when running outside in rain).

So it looks like most Tablets will do everything I want to do except update iPhone. If I can find another way to do that, I'll seriously consider a Tablet in the spring when I'm due for a new netbook/laptop (I find a deal and update/upgrade every two years).

http://www.apple.com/mobileme/features/idisk.html

I can't figure out if you can actually d/l or just stream. I like to create new playlists for runs or workouts. Or d/l a different movie for flights.
Old 01-12-11, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Talk to me about MobileMe - Update iPhone with no computer?

Looks like streaming only. And limited. In addition, there doesn't appear to be a way to move things from your iPhone to iDisk....so no go....

http://dailyator.com/use-mobileme-id...idevice/30917/

As I proclaimed earlier, this is extremely limited. There is no way to play an entire album, pick an artist, shuffle, playlists, and most other iTunes functions. You pick a song and when it is finished, you need to go and choose another. Even the next and previous controls in the background audio control interface are useless, they just stop the current song from playing. What does everyone think, is this at least “something” that can be useful, or are you just going to wait for a true cloud service from Apple?

Last edited by Sdallnct; 01-12-11 at 11:09 PM.
Old 01-12-11, 11:22 PM
Banned by request

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got Mobile Me free from a friend who's an Apple employee. I used it for the "locate my iPad" service, but now that's free. I don't use the cloud.
Old 01-13-11, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mobileme is a waste so far

i don't think any tablets are meant as laptop replacements since that will hurt the profits of the companies making them
Old 01-13-11, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
mobileme is a waste so far

i don't think any tablets are meant as laptop replacements since that will hurt the profits of the companies making them
Well I get that. But I'm not asking for "laptop replacement". I mean surely the definition of a laptop is not "will update an iphone/ipod". I know I was asking for a laptop replacement but I did quality that "for travel". My issue is I don't want to carry both a laptop and tablet and iphone when I travel. But I want to be able to move music around on my iphone when I do travel.

And of course if your going to say a tablet hurts the sales of laptops, than the opposite has to be true. If a tablet can't do the most basic things such as move music from it to a ipod/iphone, than it would sell less. If I have to carry a netbook/laptop I'm not going to carry a tablet as well.
Old 01-13-11, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

get slacker plus and customize your stations and just refresh via wifi. not the same thing as a playlist, but close. or rhapsody or one of the other cloud music subscription services

Last edited by al_bundy; 01-13-11 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-13-11, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

I think you may just have to accept that the iPad isn't geared toward your specific (and rather unique) use case. The vast majority of people aren't away from the computer that manages their media for months at a time and Apple's approach to managing iOS devices is based on that reality.

You ought to try Audiogalaxy for music. It might help eliminate your need to transfer music to your iPhone all the time.
Old 01-13-11, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for the suggestions...seriously....I think I might look into subscription based. I won't bother asking a lot of questions (yet) till I do a little basic research.

I didn't like spending a $100+ per year for MobileMe that provides no content.

Yes, I enjoy the net radio stations and use them on occasionally. I use Pandora and AOL right now.
Old 01-13-11, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kefrank View Post
I think you may just have to accept that the iPad isn't geared toward your specific (and rather unique) use case. The vast majority of people aren't away from the computer that manages their media for months at a time and Apple's approach to managing iOS devices is based on that reality.

You ought to try Audiogalaxy for music. It might help eliminate your need to transfer music to your iPhone all the time.
Yea...I "accepting" it...lol...I just think it such a basic premise. But guess a lot more goes into it. I mean a Windows tablet will work. But so far they all suck. Even if Apple doesn't want to make it on the iPad, I can't believe there is no app or widget or whatever to run full iTunes on one of the other brands (other than Windows based).

But while I keep thinking it should be there, one thing I know won't be. The cost. I can get a pretty nice netbook for $225-$250 with a large HD, 9+ hour batter life and full responsive keyboard. The current iPad is $500 and most of the others are the same. Even is someone came out with a good Windows based tablet, or app for other brand tablet, will will be more than double the cost of a good netbook. And while a tablet is "cool". I'm not really sure how cool it is to spend double the money for what I mainly use it for.
Old 01-13-11, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Thanks for the suggestions...seriously....I think I might look into subscription based. I won't bother asking a lot of questions (yet) till I do a little basic research.

Yes, I enjoy the net radio stations and use them on occasionally. I use Pandora and AOL right now.

slacker is better, but the management are idiots

$50 a year you can customize your stations to any song you want but can't control the order they are played in
Old 01-13-11, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Even if Apple doesn't want to make it on the iPad, I can't believe there is no app or widget or whatever to run full iTunes on one of the other brands (other than Windows based).
It's not that hard to believe. It's neither technically easy nor legal for someone other than Apple to port Apple's proprietary software to another OS. A third-party could certainly develop an "iTunes alternative" that runs on, say, Android, but why would anyone have done that at this point? The only viable device that it could run on would be the still very new Galaxy Tab and that only has a max of 32GB storage, which isn't much for a media hub, considering many iPods and iPhones are at least that big.
Old 01-13-11, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

FYI, mobileme is only $100 if you buy it through Apple.

It's only $67 at amazon, and I was actually able to get last year's version (which is exactly the same) through amazon for only $44 (that deal is over though).

I know the service probably isn't even worth $44 right now, but I've grown kind of attached to my email address, and I have high hopes for Apple doing something with mobileme soon.
Old 01-13-11, 06:12 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have MobileMe for work and to me it's easily worth the ~$70/year paid for it. Main features for me: back to my mac to access my desktop Mac Pro and calendar sync (between mac pro, mac air, iphone and ipad). I don't use the iDisk much, but BTTM is a killer feature for me. For example, being able to access my desktop machine while at a conference in Hawaii is great.
Old 01-13-11, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mbs View Post
I have MobileMe for work and to me it's easily worth the ~$70/year paid for it. Main features for me: back to my mac to access my desktop Mac Pro and calendar sync (between mac pro, mac air, iphone and ipad). I don't use the iDisk much, but BTTM is a killer feature for me. For example, being able to access my desktop machine while at a conference in Hawaii is great.

Plenty of free solutions have done this for years
Old 01-13-11, 08:04 PM
Banned by request

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

MobileMe might be more useful if I didn't use Google's cloud for so much. My calendar and email are both Google based, for example, and I have an Android phone. If I lived entirely in an Apple branded bubble, it would be a lot better.
Old 01-14-11, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Just set up AudioGalaxy. Very cool! Seems to stream in the background. Not 100% sure will work with my Nike + GPS app, but will give it a try.

Great set up. Its almost like having a 2nd iPod in your phone.

Very good. Especially for free!!
Old 01-14-11, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just set up AudioGalaxy. Very cool! Seems to stream in the background. Not 100% sure will work with my Nike + GPS app, but will give it a try.

Great set up. Its almost like having a 2nd iPod in your phone.

Very good. Especially for free!!
Cool man. Glad I could help a little bit, at least!
Old 01-14-11, 09:56 AM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
Plenty of free solutions have done this for years
Such as?

Not being a smart ass, but I don't know any free ways to sync iCal calendars across several devices and a free way to do screen sharing / file sharing to my desktop that includes free dynamic DNS with a free hostname so I can find my machine from any network. Do you?
Old 01-14-11, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kefrank View Post
Cool man. Glad I could help a little bit, at least!
Oh, yea...appreciate it.

Tho it seems to have messed with some of my playlist. And it doesn't seem to work with Nike+ GPS...but still playing.

However, overall...love it!

Typically when I travel I'll be in an hotel and just leave my netbook up. So going to the gym or running or whatever, I could tie into my netbook.
Old 01-17-11, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Does look like some Windows Tablet options are coming....

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2375226,00.asp

I like the looks of this one. $500 still a little steep...but....getting there...

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2375226,00.asp