Are you getting an iPad? (Part 2)

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-09-11, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's the link to part 1.

With the second generation of iPad on the horizon (presumably being announced this month), have your views changed? Do you have one already?

Discussion, round 2.
Old 01-09-11, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Are you getting an iPad? (Part 2)

I'm guessing no USB or ability to run iTunes to update iPhone (or other iPods)....so no...I haven't changed.
Old 01-09-11, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I quite like my iPad, but I doubt I will upgrade to the new version unless it has some really cool new features. The standard processor/storage boost and camera additions won't do it for me. I'd rather just get two years of use out of the device.

I wish Apple wasn't so staunchly against the use of a stylus. I think a hybrid multitouch/digitized display would be awesome.
Old 01-09-11, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk God

Feb 3rd is the rumored date to announce ipad2.. No info on when they could actually be available

Expected to be slimmer... 1 or 2 cams... And better speaker.. Maybe 128gb option
Not expected to have retina screen

Would expect lte support as well
Old 01-09-11, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk God

Btw... I'm currently posting this from my iPad
While using the remote app to control my atv2
Old 01-09-11, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk God

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/07/g...ings-dongle-f/

Old 01-09-11, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm keeping my two iPads, wife's 32 gb 3G, and my 16 Gb wi-fi.

But I'm taking a look at all the new Android tablets. My main issue for my iPad is as a browser and Flash is really missed here. I don't care about cameras or any of the new stuff. Oh and I want to pay less than $400.
Old 01-09-11, 05:00 PM
Banned by request

My mother's been talking about getting an iPad recently. I'm planting suggestions that she take my current iPad and buy me the new one, since she won't need any of the added features. We'll see if this strategy pays off.

Otherwise, I'll either keep my current one till iPad 3 comes out or, if I feel the upgrades are justified, sell off my current one and combine that with my tax refund for a new one. I have no interest in getting one with mobile data, as my phone is a mobile hotspot.
Old 01-09-11, 10:43 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

For sure getting the new one, selling the old one.
Old 01-09-11, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly for what I use this for, which is many things, larger capacity is the only thing that would get me to upgrade. A rear camera on this is useless as the form factor is too awkward to take photos. A front camera...who cares...FaceTime is stupid. A better speaker? I always use headphones anyway. I would rather see more space and enhancements to performance and to the core OS/applications.
Old 01-10-11, 12:13 AM

Received 112 Likes on 84 Posts

I made a decision to get my first one in early December. But being so close to the next gen, I decided to wait it out. Right now my plan is to pickup a 2nd Gen on release date. But I'm also keeping an eye on other tablets. I'm gonna look real closely at how it stacks up against the Xoom.
Old 01-10-11, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 157 Likes on 94 Posts

No plans to upgrade - my current iPad is perfect for me.

No need for a camera. I've got two point-and-shoots, a DSLR, and an iPhone...why on EARTH I would want to either take pictures with a large tablet or Skype with a camera in my lap is beyond me.

Storage is fine, lack of USB and Flash has been a complete non-issue since I got it. It'll be the "iPad 3" at the earliest for an upgrade for me.
Old 01-10-11, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
I made a decision to get my first one in early December. But being so close to the next gen, I decided to wait it out. Right now my plan is to pickup a 2nd Gen on release date. But I'm also keeping an eye on other tablets. I'm gonna look real closely at how it stacks up against the Xoom.
Same. I'm keeping my eye on the announced 10" tablets since I want it big enough to use to read comics.
Old 01-10-11, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i just want a widescreen tablet that handles mkv videos...
Old 01-10-11, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by raven56706 View Post
i just want a widescreen tablet that handles mkv videos...
And a built-in squeegie?
Old 01-10-11, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

yeah and a personal "massage" piece... for love explosions
Old 01-10-11, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Add a poll asking on whether you bought one and had intended to; bought one and hadn't intended to; patiently waited for 2nd gen; no interest.

I had voted that I was going to wait for 2nd gen in the original thread. I bought one 2 months after release.

I kicked myself a ton because if I'd been smart I would have bought two during pre-sale and sold the extra on ebay for overseas. They were going for more than double and it would have paid for mine. I'd have had a free iPad dammit!
Old 01-10-11, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
No need for a camera. I've got two point-and-shoots, a DSLR, and an iPhone...why on EARTH I would want to either take pictures with a large tablet or Skype with a camera in my lap is beyond me.
FaceTime - This is going to be huge. Perfect for grandparents who's eyes aren't what they once were.
Old 01-10-11, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Nefarious View Post
FaceTime - This is going to be huge. Perfect for grandparents who's eyes aren't what they once were.
My iPhone already does that, it's a lot less awkward to use it than if I tried to do it with my iPad. And that assumes a level of technological advancement that I don't think many grandparents have.

Point is, I think it's super-stupid to put a camera on an iPad, but I guess people think they want it. I think the reality is going to be that it doesn't get a lot of use in practice.
Old 01-10-11, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My iPhone already does that, it's a lot less awkward to use it than if I tried to do it with my iPad. And that assumes a level of technological advancement that I don't think many grandparents have.

Point is, I think it's super-stupid to put a camera on an iPad, but I guess people think they want it. I think the reality is going to be that it doesn't get a lot of use in practice.
Technically we were all supposed to be using picture phones by now and we can see where that went. FaceTime is beyond stupid and it seems to only give an upgrade path for Apple. "Let's add 2 cameras and call it next gen". I would rather see increased power, storage, and battery life.
Old 01-10-11, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

I don't see the front-facing camera being much different than a webcam on a laptop, which is ubiquitous now. The only issue I can see is that it could be a little awkward to use when laying flat, but there are so many cases and stands for the iPad that keep it propped up, I think it makes sense to at least have the option for video chat. But I do agree that a rear-facing camera seems less useful and ultimately unnecessary.
Old 01-10-11, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kefrank View Post
I don't see the front-facing camera being much different than a webcam on a laptop, which is ubiquitous now. The only issue I can see is that it could be a little awkward to use when laying flat, but there are so many cases and stands for the iPad that keep it propped up, I think it makes sense to at least have the option for video chat. But I do agree that a rear-facing camera seems less useful and ultimately unnecessary.
I think about that too, but my laptop is always in relatively the same place in relation to my face, and the camera is automatically pointed at me at all times (and I can move the monitor around to adjust it). I think about having to position the iPad so perfectly to be in the shot (my case converts to a "stand" but it's pretty much one position only) that I literally want to chuckle. It's just dumb.
Old 01-10-11, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ben12 View Post
Same. I'm keeping my eye on the announced 10" tablets since I want it big enough to use to read comics.
The current iPad is a wonderful comic reader. I'm using the free CloudReader and not only do comics look great, but full-sized magazines scanned into CBR/CBZ files look great too.
Old 01-10-11, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
The current iPad is a wonderful comic reader. I'm using the free CloudReader and not only do comics look great, but full-sized magazines scanned into CBR/CBZ files look great too.
Comic Zeal looks great too, though it's a bit pricey ($8 I think). But I like the organization.
Old 01-10-11, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Comic Zeal looks great too, though it's a bit pricey ($8 I think). But I like the organization.
Originally Posted by sracer View Post
You're making it hard to hold out! I just want to wait and make sure I'm not missing out on any cool 2nd gen features, esp. if we're only a few months away.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.