Are you getting an iPad? (Part 2)

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Are you getting an iPad? (Part 2)

Old 03-10-11, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts
Re: Are you getting an iPad? (Part 2)

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
Apple is being a prick with the magazine publishers so they are running to Google
Where prick == Apple asks you, the end user for permission before turning over your personal info to publishers, who in turn sell it to junk mail mills while Google happily turns over your personal info to the publishers, no questions asked. Also Apple wants a 30% cut, Google a 10% cut.

So far as running to Google, I think that the idea that newspapers/magazines will get a large number of paid subscribers on Xooms and Galaxy Tabs is a pipe dream.

Publications I read: The Economist has an *excellent* iPad app, content free to print subscribers. The NY Times is still free. There app was a crash happy disaster, but the latest version seems to have finally gotten things stable.

A lot of Conde Nast publications seem to be using some Adobe tool that just takes pictures of the print pages (jpegs), text included, resulting in HUGE file sizes for each issue and lack of elementary features like changing the font size. How they expect anyone to pay for that mess is beyond me. They've got bigger problems to worry about than Apple's extra 20%, like firing whoever is writing their apps now and hiring some competent programmers/designers.

Otherwise the combination of Flipboard and Instapaper make for an excellent free magazine to your liking. I couldn't recommend those two apps more.

Last edited by Ted Todorov; 03-10-11 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-10-11, 03:02 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some iPad 2 reviews:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/10/te...rssnyt&emc=rss

http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20110309...cture-perfect/

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columni...terstitialskip
Old 03-10-11, 03:11 PM
Banned by request

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ted Todorov View Post
Where prick == Apple asks you, the end user for permission before turning over your personal info to publishers, who in turn sell it to junk mail mills while Google happily turns over your personal info to the publishers, no questions asked. Also Apple wants a 30% cut, Google a 10% cut.

So far as running to Google, I think that the idea that newspapers/magazines will get a large number of paid subscribers on Xooms and Galaxy Tabs is a pipe dream.

Publications I read: The Economist has an *excellent* iPad app, content free to print subscribers. The NY Times is still free. There app was a crash happy disaster, but the latest version seems to have finally gotten things stable.

A lot of Conde Nast publications seem to be using some Adobe tool that just takes pictures of the print pages (jpegs), text included, resulting in HUGE file sizes for each issue and lack of elementary features like changing the font size. How they expect anyone to pay for that mess is beyond me. They've got bigger problems to worry about than Apple's extra 20%, like firing whoever is writing their apps now and hiring some competent programmers/designers.

Otherwise the combination of Flipboard and Instapaper make for an excellent free magazine to your liking. I couldn't recommend those two apps more.
My favorite are the ones that charge more for the iPad version than the print version. The New Yorker is guilty of this.
Old 03-10-11, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I think that magazines are a dead media format

Sold my old 3g and water damaged 3gs for $400 last night that's my iPad 2 money
Old 03-10-11, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I would prefer to read Esquire on my iPad but refuse to do so at $4 an issue when I can get a yearly print subscription for $7 or less.
Old 03-10-11, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I know these don't go on sale til 5PM tomorrow in Apple stores, but does anyone know if they'll have them out to play around with prior to 5? I'm not interested in buying one tomorrow, but I'm gonna be at the mall around lunch time... was curious if they'd be out to use.

Anyone know based on previous Apple product releases?
Old 03-10-11, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush View Post
I know these don't go on sale til 5PM tomorrow in Apple stores, but does anyone know if they'll have them out to play around with prior to 5? I'm not interested in buying one tomorrow, but I'm gonna be at the mall around lunch time... was curious if they'd be out to use.

Anyone know based on previous Apple product releases?
No. This seems to be a similar release as the iPad 3G, which I got at launch and also went on sale at 5pm. The store had no display units and actually closed 2 or 3 hours before the launch if I recall correctly.
Old 03-11-11, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

I noticed on Apple.com this morning it was ships in 4 to 5 days now it is 2 to 3 weeks for all of the models. I wonder how many the Apple Stores and Best Buy will have in stock today at 5.
Old 03-11-11, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
I noticed on Apple.com this morning it was ships in 4 to 5 days now it is 2 to 3 weeks for all of the models. I wonder how many the Apple Stores and Best Buy will have in stock today at 5.
supposedly they were in full production by the end of january/early february.

so they have had 1 - 1 1/2 months to build up the initial supply..
not that that means much
Old 03-11-11, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 381 Likes on 280 Posts

It's more than just Apple and Best Buy; Target, Walmart, AT&T, and Verizon will have stock as well. I also read that 10 Sam's Club stores will have them.
http://www.9to5mac.com/55424/ipad-2-...-10-locations/
Old 03-11-11, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

last year when the iphone 4 was backordered online i went to an apple store during my lunch hour and just bought one. guy in front of me was buying multiple ones every day and shipping to china.

physical stores cost money to operate and they are a chance to sell high margin accessories. i bet that most of the stock will be diverted to the stores and the cool high tech people who buy online will be waiting for weeks
Old 03-11-11, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Just ordered mine this morning closely after midnight, when it said 5-7 business days =)
Old 03-11-11, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 381 Likes on 280 Posts

Engadget has a review up:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/09/ipad-2-review/

Of particular note to me:
According to Geekbench [an iOS benchmark app], there's now 512MB of RAM in the iPad, bringing it up to iPhone 4 standards.
So that's another notch in my belt.
Old 03-11-11, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

@ still patting yourself on the back
Old 03-11-11, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
@ still patting yourself on the back
No kidding.

I woke up early and bought one for the wife. Hope it ships relatively soon. We hardly ever splurge on crap like this so she should be excited.
Old 03-11-11, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I was gonna order one as soon as they started offering them, but instead I will go to Wal-Mart this afternoon and see if I can score one. Maybe...
Old 03-11-11, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 687 Likes on 440 Posts

Maybe this was said elsewhere but I didn't see it mentioned in any of the press conference material. If it was obvious to everyone but me, I apologize.

The new iMovie won't work on the older iPads. Since I already had it for my phone it was free to upgrade, but it wouldn't install. There's a hack you can do to get it on there using a different program, but it will try to remove it every time you sync so I've decided it's not worth the trouble.

People were saying that it's no surprise since you can't shoot video with an iPad 1 so why would you need to edit on there. I was planning on throwing on a bunch of video clips of my kids I shot on my old camera and editing them when I had a few moments here and there.

Anyway, it wasn't obvious to me. I expected someone to say during the iMovie reveal that it would only work on the iPad 2. If they did, I totally missed that. And if they didn't, they should have.
Old 03-11-11, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since I already have a 32GB 3G version, my wife who's working only half day today will try to pick up a 16GB wifi only. I'm waiting to hear reports on what the situation is at stores. Did people line up since last night?
Old 03-11-11, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Maybe this was said elsewhere but I didn't see it mentioned in any of the press conference material. If it was obvious to everyone but me, I apologize.

The new iMovie won't work on the older iPads. Since I already had it for my phone it was free to upgrade, but it wouldn't install. There's a hack you can do to get it on there using a different program, but it will try to remove it every time you sync so I've decided it's not worth the trouble.

People were saying that it's no surprise since you can't shoot video with an iPad 1 so why would you need to edit on there. I was planning on throwing on a bunch of video clips of my kids I shot on my old camera and editing them when I had a few moments here and there.

Anyway, it wasn't obvious to me. I expected someone to say during the iMovie reveal that it would only work on the iPad 2. If they did, I totally missed that. And if they didn't, they should have.

It was mentioned on MacRumors on announcement day and I posted about it a few pages back. Jay G. speculated (and he was right!) that it was due to iPad 1 only have 256mb of memory. The iPhone 4 and iPad 2 both have 512mb so are likely considered to be strong enough to handle the editing.

I think that's why we hadn't seen iMovie available for iPad 1 previously.
Old 03-11-11, 11:26 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
Since I already have a 32GB 3G version, my wife who's working only half day today will try to pick up a 16GB wifi only. I'm waiting to hear reports on what the situation is at stores. Did people line up since last night?
Depends on teh store, there's a thread on macrumors about line sizes.

earlier this am there were 70 in line at the soho store.
Old 03-11-11, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Apple likely to sell 600,000 iPad 2s this weekend. Motorola to sell 300,000 Xooms in first quarter of sales.... Not so good for the iPad rivals.

I am torn on whether to try and pick up an iPad 2. I really like the increased specs for some of the stuff I do, but I need the full GPS chip capabilities for my flight tracking and planning apps, so I would have to get the full WiFi + 3G model again...
Old 03-11-11, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

going to call around to see which best buys and targets have them and maybe stop by after work
Old 03-11-11, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd like to get mine at Best Buy for the reward zone points but I'll go to Target or Walmart if I have to. I'm getting the 32gb wifi version in black if available.

Edit: I checked Target at lunch and they said they were only getting 5 units and that they were all 16gb wifi only models. Hopefully Best Buy gets a better selection.

Last edited by edstein; 03-11-11 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-11-11, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For the ones in the SF Bay Area, Fry's is going to sell iPads 2 too. Today.
Old 03-11-11, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet View Post
My favorite are the ones that charge more for the iPad version than the print version. The New Yorker is guilty of this.
That's another thing that Apple's new guidelines will put a stop to -- periodical publisher who use the iPad will not be allowed to sell/subscribe the same magazine elsewhere for less than on the iPad.

The iPad may be where the paying customers are, but that's no reason to fleece them.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.